January 7th NCL Star cruise to Antarctica , Argentina and Chile with a 10 day stay photo travelogue

scubacruiserx2

1 hour ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Stunningly beautiful. Ditto what dcguy said.  How would you compare this to an Alaska cruise?  Your pics make it look a million times more impressive than the Alaska reviews. 

If you would like to see our cruise to Alaska you can find it here on another cruise line . It was our longest cruise at 6 weeks !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you @CruisnHallelujahs .We have been to Alaska twice and South America 4 times , the first with NCL in 2007 . Antarctica twice , the first time after our first Alaska visit . We are glad that we went to Alaska first as we did enjoy it , a lot . But to us we would have been disappointed had we been to Antarctica first . It's on a different level as we have gone to Patagonia as an add on both times . I don't usually answer so quickly but I was working on a Dinner at Cagneys photos , coming up next .

I figured you must have been to Alaska!  Thanks for posting your Alaska review.  Will read through tomorrow.  After seeing your Antarctica photos, if I had to choose just one, I think I know what it would be…the flight to the ship might kill me though.  

7 hours ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

I figured you must have been to Alaska!  Thanks for posting your Alaska review.  Will read through tomorrow.  After seeing your Antarctica photos, if I had to choose just one, I think I know what it would be…the flight to the ship might kill me though.  

Perhaps , but we have found that if we do big trips all at once that it overwhelms us . So we break it up into smaller bite size pieces , a day at a time and frequent stops . I used to be a hare when I was young but we are more like a Tortoise now .

I noticed that the Star is currently in Punta Arenas today and that they may tender in . We didn't make it in because of high winds . Today looks much better with current winds WNW of 11 mph and gust to 27 mph . These are much more favorable for a landing .

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9195157

We have been there 4 times including a trip to the penquin Island which is very bumpy and long . We also flew to Puerto Natales , Chile to bus to Torres Del Paine . This cost more but it was by far the best cruise excursion that we have ever done ! !

If the option is available we would recommend that you take it and the weather there is very favorable there currently unlike the 62 mph that we had when we drove over after our cruise . A drive took all day and required a double - double passport control on land which was a beast and a time killer .

• Like 1

Dinner for breakfast ? 

Appetizers hers

DSC00180.thumb.JPG.cc2942fb0ff31a17a2f106fdceffd4f7.JPG

And his

DSC00184.thumb.JPG.c676be0237669d037cb9a97a0d1859a0.JPG

Soup

DSC00185.thumb.JPG.2ac5062b696e368c2948b76688eea446.JPG

Mains

Double wide lamp chops ( sorry Sheri Lewis )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shari_Lewis

DSC00186.thumb.JPG.ce13143ad43d1f1a8113135119eee0a2.JPG

Small Filet cooked properly

DSC00188.thumb.JPG.4af24e8b4b3b0d1dd551d6e50b176d10.JPG

Veggies

DSC00190.thumb.JPG.f1a2eb188d9fa677816cad63f7ab80b3.JPG

Always room for the 7 layer cake

DSC00191.thumb.JPG.734e1dbeec931cd01cc48fe73a5fb59e.JPG

And after a dinner like this it was a good thing that we would have the Drake lake on the way to the Falklands .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Thank you again @DCGuy64 . It's a fun hobby that I enjoy doing since retirement and reliving it through the cameras eye . Plus it has a lot more memory than we do . I did have a concise journal that I did misplace in transit , so I'm using the photos as a memory aid .

You make a very good point: sometimes when I'm on vacation, I'm too lazy to take pictures, and then later I forget the beautiful things I saw. Maybe I should force myself to take the photos so I can remember the places better afterwards. Thank you again, you are quite the photographer!

Would we make the Falkland Islands ?

We had already missed Punta Arenas because of tenders .

DSC00217.thumb.JPG.17023da8a71aaa9bd7a528f175af78c3.JPG

We were up at 0430 which was the time that I had to leave home for work in Miami at 0700 . I did this for over 20 years so this was nothing new . The disappointment for us was that the suite breakfast didn't start until the 1st tender was due to leave . We went to O'Sheehan's which is open 24 hours in hope of a corned beef hash and eggs to start the long day . We were seated by the window at about 05:15 but received no service . People in the first row away from the window received service and when we asked if we could order we were told that we were not in his row .We asked him to please send our server so that we could order breakfast . He told us that breakfast would not be served until 0600 . The guy across from us had a smirk as he received his order . The buffet looked like a Rugby Strum so we opted for fiber bars and bagged nuts to go for breakfast from our stash . The tenders were in the water by now .

DSC00226.thumb.JPG.8e15b1b66923e2dffbb596d83b27897a.JPG

The concierge , Monica was waiting for us at Gatsby's and took us down to the first tender . Fortunately , J and M our traveling companions , were also on the 1st tender and we were off for the 20 minute ride .

DSC04932_zpsvgedrp6a

We met with our driver and guide , Neil , and we were off in our 4x4 .

DSC00236.thumb.JPG.fcc7f97eb0bdbb45c10b9862e2ac867b.JPG

DSC00243.thumb.JPG.eaf621066bebabb7c696bfc28f15af5a.JPG

I was riding shotgun and requested a photo shot out of the window when showed us some helicopter wreckage from an Archie helicopter shot down during the War in 1982 .

DSC00228.thumb.JPG.ce2d5f174e18213a3e840215fc10f402.JPG

I chuckled to myself as I thought of the old comic book series with Veronica and Jughead . I also remember the old song Sugar , sugar sung by the Archies .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar,_Sugar

And after about 2 hours of doing the bump and grind we had made it .

DSC00231.thumb.JPG.41e59f0b4ee79dfad4b8e21521abf76f.JPG

DSC00238.thumb.JPG.7d133c67685aab43bdf638115a18be70.JPG

We knew that we were the first one's there as we had the pleasure of opening and walking across the red sea foot bath before we could walk among the penguins .

DSC00241.thumb.JPG.e7908f89dc2c21b6b80a08aa17feab7a.JPG

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Loving your review.  Enjoy seeing people live their best life! You mentioned Monica…wonder if she was on Spirit in 2017?  That was our first NCL cruise and we absolutely loved her.  

We don't know and we did not take a photo of her . But we believe that she is from Eastern Europe perhaps Slovenia or Slovakia .

• Like 1

The 2 rules were don't cross the white rock circle and don't impede or harass the penguins

Will walk for food

IMG_0099.thumb.JPG.cd4fe127a19c978a6d1e166c54bd3dc2.JPG

Mister and Mrs. Upland Geese

IMG_0105.thumb.JPG.e11fefaf9f5f52d9cea7a9b87aa7a6b0.JPG

IMG_0109.thumb.JPG.5101883104dac1bbf6fd3e2eff5ae52d.JPG

Synchronized sleeping

IMG_0111.thumb.JPG.146946dd954d343f2389aae26efa6e12.JPG

Living in my parents shadow

IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.6cb11aa95c3d228d7296558f0dca8c4e.JPG

Breakfast is served

IMG_0148.thumb.JPG.11a847637ea2a343c3b12bd4dd8e4dd8.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

You make a very good point: sometimes when I'm on vacation, I'm too lazy to take pictures, and then later I forget the beautiful things I saw. Maybe I should force myself to take the photos so I can remember the places better afterwards. Thank you again, you are quite the photographer!

Unfortunately I may take too many photos and forget to just take it all in sometimes . Stop and smell the roses ( or fertilizer ) as the case may be . Thank you I do enjoy taking photos of the Lord's creation as it keeps me in Awe of Him .

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 4

On 2/4/2024 at 3:39 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

I don't see that cruise listed . That is the one we did last time on the HAL Zandam . It had 4 days in Antarctica . Perhaps as you are leaving from Santiago the route is different so your side may be different .

It disappeared from the website for a week, which was slightly worrying, but is back now. https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruises/14-day-south-america-from-santiago-to-buenos-aires-argentina-and-chile-FLYCRUISESTAR14SAIPMCCHBPUQUSHPSYPMYMVDBUE?sailMonths=4294949408&ships=4294949403&numberOfGuests=4294949462&sortBy=closer_to_me&autoPopulate=f&from=resultpage&itineraryCode=FLYCRUISESTAR14SAIPMCCHBPUQUSHPSYPMYMVDBUE 

Really enjoying the photos. I assume the red bath is some kind of anti-infection thing? 

Edited by Huntingdon1701

6 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Thank you for sharing that site . It's a well done and much better site than I have found stateside . We saw some King eggs this time at the Falkland Islands so you may see some fuzzy King chicks at that date .

We did notice that the Torres del Paine trip is included at 1024 BPS . That's $ 1293 American . We would pounce on that if you can  afford it .

Would you mind if we hijack our thread to show that trip ? It was on another cruise line but we believe that it would be the same or a similar trip .

2 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Would you mind if we hijack our thread to show that trip ? It was on another cruise line but we believe that it would be the same or a similar trip .

Go ahead! I have been very tempted by the Torres Del Paine trip but it's marginally outside my budget and too early a start - I'm doing the Iguazu Falls trip so that's taken a large chunk of extra budget. I expect to come back to the region at some point to do the antarctic parts you've done, so I may be able to do it then. 

27 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Unfortunately I may take too many photos and forget to just take it all in sometimes . Stop and smell the roses ( or fertilizer ) as the case may be . Thank you I do enjoy taking photos of the Lord's creation as it keeps me in Awe of Him .

Beautifully stated, and I couldn't agree more!

P1050773-001_zps03f27ea3

P1050787-001_zps6dea1d31

We had hoped the fly on the larger Otter

DHC -6 Twin otter

But we wound up on the smaller Cessna and I was glad that we had an experienced pilot

Cessna flight

I had explained that I was a retired Paramedic and had some experience on Air Rescue . But we use Bell 412 helicopters quite a different animal . Still he wanted me up front so this was my view .

IMG_1706-001_zps6fd755b4

And my wife's view

L1090673-001_zps07f8bbe1

We were pleased that the lady on the right foreground was married to a Ship's officer so we hoped that he might arrange the safer flight for her .

The 1 hour flight was raining all the way so it was all IFR .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Go ahead! I have been very tempted by the Torres Del Paine trip but it's marginally outside my budget and too early a start - I'm doing the Iguazu Falls trip so that's taken a large chunk of extra budget. I expect to come back to the region at some point to do the antarctic parts you've done, so I may be able to do it then. 

We have not been there yet but our friends Mic and Rosie are currently on the Oosterdam in Antarctica as we speak have . They advised us to do both sides of the falls which involves spending the night and a Brazilian Visa if you can do that . BTW we don't usually put it all on the Card but we did this trip . So we have an interest free loan until the end of this year , so we did over indulge a bit . But we think that this may have been our last trip there .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We had hoped that maybe we would change planes on the way back .

IMG_1245-001_zps117546f5

This was our ride for the day - about half full . After making a deposit at the airport's wash room we were all ready to go . We did not have to show our passports in Chile since the ship had them . We would recommend that you have copies with you since the ship confiscates them when you board and doesn't return them until just before the cruise ends .

IMG_1248-001_zps53b0e2de

Our first wildlife sighting

L1090721-001_zps5b297b95

Mr. and Mrs. Condor grounded

IMG_8922-002_zps7ff09c5a

A Caracara

Southern Caracara

A Rhea

IMG_8938-001_zps21eee6d0

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Iguazzu falls, IMO and also quite a few others, the Brazilian side is the better side.

Argentina's side of the falls have you above them looking down over them. There was a boardwalk across  many parts and although I am not sure if it has been replaced after washing away, there was a section that has you looking down the devil's throat.

Brazilian side has you at the bottom of the falls looking up at them and t here is a boardwalk that takes you to the bottom of the devil's throat. You will get misted on so bag up your cameras like maid of the mist.

There are flights over it and also boat trips that take you under it as well.

• Like 1

IMG_9084-001_zps5b7d0b58

The Torres del Paine means towers of Blue and refer to the 3 towers of granite .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torres_del_Paine_National_Park

Here are the 3 towers

Torres del Paine

Most of the roads are gravel but they were building concrete roads when we were there last month

IMG_1358-001_zpscc3ca248

The Paine River falls

IMG_1507-001_zpsd8960155

The tour included lunch here

IMG_9179-001_zps661fdc6a

I excused myself to take some photos while lunch was prepared We had to cross this bridge to get to the hotel

IMG_9195-001_zpsd26579e8

The beach had volcanic sand 

IMG_1594-001_zpsa8f908a8

IMG_1591-001_zps55176aec

The view of the Cuernos or Horns

IMG_1637-001_zps1f698366

The salad had hearts of palm like we have here in Florida

L1090934-001_zps669ef32f

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Iguazzu falls, IMO and also quite a few others, the Brazilian side is the better side.

Argentina's side of the falls have you above them looking down over them. There was a boardwalk across  many parts and although I am not sure if it has been replaced after washing away, there was a section that has you looking down the devil's throat.

Brazilian side has you at the bottom of the falls looking up at them and t here is a boardwalk that takes you to the bottom of the devil's throat. You will get misted on so bag up your cameras like maid of the mist.

There are flights over it and also boat trips that take you under it as well.

Thank you sir . It appears like you are on the way back to South America . How was Antarctica for you and Rosie ? Best wishes for a smooth ride back . Have you tried the Pisco sour ? They repackaged it and you can get it at the store in Chile , just chill and shake .

image.thumb.jpeg.c22341608b97ce438e1b07491fbb4923.jpeg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We don't know and we did not take a photo of her . But we believe that she is from Eastern Europe perhaps Slovenia or Slovakia .

Monica is from Romania, I'm afraid I don't have a photo either.