Alaska in May - Book Now or Wait for Wave Sales

mrs_hauntedskipper

Howdy! 
I’ve been on exactly one cruise in my life, RC back in 2011.

My hubs and I are eyeing an Alaskan cruise in May and have decided HAL is the way to go.

The question I have is “Do I book now or wait a few weeks for Wave Season?”

I’ve read some lines have been offering wave comparable packages this holiday season, but am not sure if HAL’s current deals are good ones.

Apologies in advance for a very newbie question.

Side Quest Question:

Hubs likes a drink. I’m not a drinker but like my coffees, smoothies, etc.

Pros and Cons on Have It All value?

Thanks in advance, Y’all.

Welcome back to cruising and to HAL! Alaska is an awesome cruise.

HIA includes specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juices and water, so you should consider more than alcohol when you do your math to see if it makes sense for you. Another thing to consider, w/HIA there is no 18% charge on top of the prices unless you drink is above the $11 limit.

Congrats and enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

With cruising in general, I always say if you like the price you see for thecabin,  itinerary and ship you want to sail, go ahead and book it. There is no guarantee that the price will go down, even with a "sale". Also, there is no guarantee that the specific cabin you want or if thaglt cabin category will still be available down the road. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrs_hauntedskipper said:

My hubs and I are eyeing an Alaskan cruise in May and have decided HAL is the way to go.

The question I have is “Do I book now or wait a few weeks for Wave Season?”

If you book with a refundable deposit (the HIA offers are all refundable), you can refare if a better offer comes along, up until penalties start (usually Final Payment date). You may lose extras in exchange for the new rate and perhaps new perks; be sure to do the math! 

There is a no-frills refundable deposit fare call "Advantage", between the NRD "Best Price" and the "Best Value" HIA. You, your TA, or your PCC have to call to find out the fare! 

The refare process is like cancelling and rebooking, without risking your cabin. BUT at least one other cabin in the category must be available to do it. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve done both.  It depends upon the skill/expertise/willingness of your contact at the line or with the TA.  Currently, I’m doing better with the line.  They are willing to work the math for refaring for me.  My previous TA retired and her replacement isn’t very willing to do anything.

If you don’t care about location of your cabin on the ship, I would consider waiting for WAVE season UNLESS you have a good TA and/or contact at the line.  If you do, I’d book now and do a refare if the price is worth it.

• Thanks 1

I would say for me the biggest pro of HIA is not having to think much about how much money I am spending while onboard.  The biggest con is that it is costly.

HIA is a discounted bundling of amenities that you pre-pay.  You and your guest.  Like all bundled amenities, it makes sense if you would have purchased those items separately yourself.  If there are items in the bundle that don't interest you then you may be further ahead simply paying as you go.  We are in this camp - paying as we go makes much more financial sense for us.

• Thanks 1

If you are planning to cruise out of Seattle with the HIA, I would recommend booking soon when you see a price you like. We book Alaska last minute, but we go out of Vancouver (superior itinerary imho, and convenient for us) and we don’t drink so we just do a standard fare.

There a lot of variables depending which itinerary you are looking at, etc.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mrs_hauntedskipper said:

Do you generally find it’s better to book with the line or find an independent TA?

I use a PCC (HAL employee). She has no interest in inflating my fare! But will not call me for a discounted promo -- so I must watch for myself.

To reach/be assigned to a PCC, on the new website, click "Book Cruises" and the last item in the first column of the drop-down menu is Talk with a Personal Cruise Consultant.

• Thanks 1

Use a HAL PCC.  Book a refundable fare - that way if price goes down you can refare and still keep the same cabin.  Remember that you might lose some extra perks though, as you have to accept all the new fare's deals and price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1