Cannes during Film Festival

bzeus1924

Hello,

We are booked on a cruise stopping in Cannes at the same time as the Cannes Film Festival usually takes place.  Has anyone had any experiences with this?  I'm wondering if the itinerary is likely to change or be cancelled due to excessive yacht traffic in the port. I realize it's a tender port for our ship (NCL Escape), but thought it likely to be cancelled or switched. 

Any words of wisdom from the more experienced?

TIA

@bzeus1924

It will  not be canceled or switched. Cruises tender to Cannes all the time during the Festival.  And to boot, the Festival often coincides with the Montecarlo Grand Prix. You have  to realize that the whole stretch of the Riviera from Cannes to Monaco will be really crowded. You need to make your sightseeing plans well ahead of time. 

Edited by marazul

18 hours ago, bzeus1924 said:

Any words of wisdom from the more experienced?

And with tendering both off and onto your ship and busier than normal roads along the entire coast, some time will be lost so best you be realistic and fairly flexible with your plans and not overfill your day.

On the plus side, you may be lucky and spot a few famous faces in Cannes.especially near the Palais des Festivals.😀

Edited by edinburgher

We have been in Cannes during the film festival and it had no major impact on our usual cruise experience.  The tender pier is not really impacted by yacht traffic (many of the larger yachts will often put in at Monte Carlo).   The exposition center (where many of the festival activities are centered) is generally quiet in the morning (when most cruisers go ashore).  One major impact would be on the better local restaurants, but that is not normally an issue for cruisers who generally are back on their ship long before dinner time.

Hank

Thank you for all the replies!  Much appreciated!  I'm thinking we may use this as a people-watching stop and just relax into the day.  This is a very port-centric cruise so it might do us good to have a no plan type of day.  

We're foodies though, so I'll probably look into restaurants for a leisurely lunch where we can enjoy the sites and ambiance.

Thank you again!

16 hours ago, bennybear said:

Just a heads up, you need to be accredited to attend the film festival.

I only suggested they try people watching near the Palais des Festivals, not that they attend screenings. Public areas for people watching are free and there are worse places to hang out than the Croisette of Cannes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

I only suggested they try people watching near the Palais des Festivals, not that they attend screenings. Public areas for people watching are free and there are worse places to hang out than the Croisette of Cannes.

Agreed.  My comments weren’t meant to be personal,  only to share information as OP requested.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have always enjoyed my port days in Cannes.  One stop we added a train ride to Antibes for a couple of hours.  However if I was there during the film festival I would wander around/people watch/if it was warm have a swim from the public beach/eat something French - and so have a great day.