Flam railway up, bicycling down

jajsmom

I did a search in the forum and could not find the answer. Even though the roundtrip railway was just released a few days ago, the slots for when we are in port are all full already.  I did see that there is availability for taking the train up and bicycling down.  I was not able to find information about this on the Norway best website.  Has anyone done this?  We would be in port on July 2, 2024.  Are the bicycles included, or do you have to make reservations on our own.  Would the weather be acceptable that time of the year for bike riding?  DH and I both ride bikes weekly, but we live in FLAT Florida and do not have the experience with the hills.  Any insights would be very helpful. Thank you!

11 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Thank you, very helpful!  I guess I didn't look back far enough in my search, as this was from almost a year ago.

Reads as if you were back paging through the different pages looking for the word FLAM.  It would be a whole lot faster and easier for you if you were to use the CC SEARCH tool which would give you results on all past threads and posts, with the most recent first.  If you do not know how to use it, go to the relevant Board, but stay on the first GENERAL page, do not go to an individual thread.  In the empty SEARCH BOX under your username, insert the name of the place you want to research, in this case FLAM.  Hit the little magnifying glass and results will appear in a few seconds. From there, choose which you want to read.

Using that method, here are the results for FLAM.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=flam&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=116

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

We took the train up and biked down.   Booked the bike and train on our own but an excursion would be the same I suspect.   The bicycle ride down is spectacular scenery, we had great weather.   It is all down hill, there are no endurance / aerobic issues here.   The only thing to be aware of is the first 1 km or so is very rocky and tight turns.  Almost everyone walked their bikes for that part (maybe 30 min) - even experienced bikers.   It gets much easier after that and ends up a smooth packed trail or asphalt for the remainder of the trail.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

We took the train up and biked down.   Booked the bike and train on our own but an excursion would be the same I suspect.   The bicycle ride down is spectacular scenery, we had great weather.   It is all down hill, there are no endurance / aerobic issues here.   The only thing to be aware of is the first 1 km or so is very rocky and tight turns.  Almost everyone walked their bikes for that part (maybe 30 min) - even experienced bikers.   It gets much easier after that and ends up a smooth packed trail or asphalt for the remainder of the trail.   

Thank you.  Great info.

8 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Reads as if you were back paging through the different pages looking for the word FLAM.  It would be a whole lot faster and easier for you if you were to use the CC SEARCH tool which would give you results on all past threads and posts, with the most recent first.  If you do not know how to use it, go to the relevant Board, but stay on the first GENERAL page, do not go to an individual thread.  In the empty SEARCH BOX under your username, insert the name of the place you want to research, in this case FLAM.  Hit the little magnifying glass and results will appear in a few seconds. From there, choose which you want to read.

Using that method, here are the results for FLAM.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=flam&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=116

I did use the search.  I put in Flam train and bicycle back, and only came up with general things about the Flam train.

13 hours ago, jajsmom said:

I did use the search.  I put in Flam train and bicycle back, and only came up with general things about the Flam train.

As past threads on the search function typically go back longer than one year, I thought you had back paged for a time then stopped.

Too bad there were no other threads  mentioning  bicycles.  Maybe not so many others want the exercise, so good for you, but. maybe more are interested in hiking down than cycling down.

I posted a number of photos and more details of our bike ride down in this thread below.   You need to scroll through the responses to find those that apply to the bike ride.   

let me know if you have other questions about it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2