Rome: Borghese Galleries or Villa Medici?

Rainbow3fe

Hi,

We will have a port day to relax in Rome. We cannot decide  between visiting the Borghese Galleries or the Medici Villa. Would like input as to which is more interesting.  My husband and I have stayed in Rome many times but haven't visited either museum.  

I really would appreciate advice. 

Thanks 😎

Interest, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, so without knowing you and your interests it's hard to answer your question.

I would note that Villa Medici isn't a typical museum, while it does have temporary exhibits you can visit the main draw is the gardens.

Galleria Borghese houses a permanent collection of some of the finest sculpture anywhere, including a number of amazing Bernini's, as well as a large selection of paintings and frescoes.

Maybe a look though each site's website will help you decide what fits with your interests.

homepage - Galleria Borghese (beniculturali.it)

The French Academy in Rome - Villa Medici

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can't say it any better than euro cruiser above. 

For me, I'd frame it as what I'd be more interested in: the art itself or the architecture and grounds. 

Either one will be a treat.

Thanks  I appreciate the kind advice. 

I think we'll go for the art because there are works we've never seen.💥

On 12/19/2023 at 11:09 AM, lynncarol said:

I am assuming you know that for the Borghese you need to purchase timed entry tickets in advance. Try to time it with one of the English tours the museum provides; Our guide was excellent and significantly added to our experience. 

Not only timed entry, but if you're there during the busy season, you're only allotted a certain time before having to move to the next gallery. 

Be aware at the Borghese gallery, no bags or backpacks are allowed and only tiny purses can be carried during your visit.   They were very strict with this during my visit this past September.   Anything bigger than a tiny purse or very small waist pack had to be checked at the entrance.   I didn’t know this in advance and was a bit stressed to hand in my purse (with my passport), but I did keep my phone and my wallet in my pockets.  I plan on visiting again post-cruise next year and will be prepared with a tiny purse. 

I agree with @lynncarol about the value of a guided tour.   I hadn’t planned on doing so, but that was the only type of ticket available when I booked.   I ended up learning and appreciating much more than had I been on my own. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You will never see finer sculptures anywhere except possibly The David in Florence.  The Bernini sculptures are stunning and there are usually a number of Caravaggio notable paintings as well.  I always prefer an actual museum to a palace or mansion.

• Thanks 1