Couple room questions

Katie111

We are sailing the Caribbean on the Epic next week and had a couple of quick questions as this is our first NCL cruise.  Travelling with teens and we have an inside cabin and a balcony cabin nowhere near each other.

1) Is there shampoo, conditioner and/or body wash available?  Hand soap?

2) Do the rooms have phones so we can call room to room?

3) We all have iPhones- can we just communicate by texting each other?  We just have the free internet plan.  Also, do we just keep our phones on airplane mode for the duration of the cruise even if we are at a port that has wi-fi?  

4) Is there a fridge in the rooms?

5) Can you choose when to have your cabin cleaned or is it always in the morning?  

6) How do we get our beds separated into two twins vs a king?  Can the cabin steward do that or do we need to request in advance?

Thanks!!

Edited by Katie111

37 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

We are sailing the Caribbean on the Epic next week and had a couple of quick questions as this is our first NCL cruise.  Travelling with teens and we have an inside cabin and a balcony cabin nowhere near each other.

1) Is there shampoo, conditioner and/or body wash available?  Hand soap?

2) Do the rooms have phones so we can call room to room?

3) We all have iPhones- can we just communicate by texting each other?  We just have the free internet plan.  Also, do we just keep our phones on airplane mode for the duration of the cruise even if we are at a port that has wi-fi?  

4) Is there a fridge in the rooms?

5) Can you choose when to have your cabin cleaned or is it always in the morning?  

6) How do we get our beds separated into two twins vs a king?  Can the cabin steward do that or do we need to request in advance?

Thanks!!

1. Shampoo and body wash. 

2. Yes.

3. Yes. Airplane mode, connect to NCL Intranet for iMessages or whatever y'all with iPhones call it. Intranet is not internet.

4. Yes.

5. Your cabin is cleaned whenever your room attendant gets to it, sometime between roughly 9 AM - 6 PM. 

6. Request in advance. If not done, ask your room attendant to do it. 

10 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

People say that using the NCL app onboard is free, but I always need to login before using and logout when done, which means it is not free (i.e., it is using my onboard minutes). What did I do wrong?

Using the NCL app is free. You connect to the WiFi network on your phone, but don't login to your account to use the minutes. Once connected, open the NCL app and it'll work. 

13 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

People say that using the NCL app onboard is free, but I always need to login before using and logout when done, which means it is not free (i.e., it is using my onboard minutes). What did I do wrong?

The app is free, the texting feature is available for a fee.

12 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Were you told when you booked that teenagers can NOT be booked in a cabin by themselves?  You would have to have an adult and teenager in each cabin to be legal.

They have to be booked that way but NCL doesn’t care where folks sleep,just go to guest services and get extra keys, we’ve always done this.

27 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Were you told when you booked that teenagers can NOT be booked in a cabin by themselves?  You would have to have an adult and teenager in each cabin to be legal.

My kids are actually 21, 20, and 16 but I just refer to them as "teens" as its just easier.  That being said, based on the bathroom situation on the Epic, we've decided to to Mom/daughter in one room and Dad/sons in the other.  

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Using the NCL app is free. You connect to the WiFi network on your phone, but don't login to your account to use the minutes. Once connected, open the NCL app and it'll work. 

Thank you. Would you by any chance have a screenshot or guidance on how to connect to WiFi without login? 

12 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

Thank you. Would you by any chance have a screenshot or guidance on how to connect to WiFi without login? 

You would just connect like you connect to any WiFi network. Once connected, just open the NCL app and it will (should) work. 

12 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

So just to clarify, we CAN'T text each other on iphones for free?  I thought I had read you could even text people back at home on an Iphone for free.  

Reports on all sorts of threads here state that you are able to text anyone using the iMessage app. At least, I think it's called iMessage. I use an Android phone, so not well-versed in Apple devices. Just reporting what I have read. Others will need to chime in with their experiences or go to various lives threads/message threads and read. 

58 minutes ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

you do have to login to the app... the app is worthless if you don't log in. but that's very different than logging in to the internet to use wifi minutes. those are two separate logins and verification processes!

once onboard, you get all manner of useful information and scheduling features if logged in to the app.  in addition, you can connect to the wifi through the app, if you so choose.

42 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

They have to be booked that way but NCL doesn’t care where folks sleep,just go to guest services and get extra keys, we’ve always done this.

it's an academic discussion in this thread, since the OP has returned to clarify that not only is at least one of her children "of age," but that there will actually be a parent in each room because they will be mother/daughter in one room and dad /sons in the other.

but as far as who cares... i can assure you that NCL does care. in many cases, it's a matter of liability. more importantly, i'm pretty sure that the people in adjacent cabins care very much, especially those who have had cabins next to unchaperoned "teens."

22 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

So just to clarify, we CAN'T text each other on iphones for free?  I thought I had read you could even text people back at home on an Iphone for free.  

in most cases, you can indeed text iphones on and off the ship for free (not using internet minutes), but it's not a documented benefit or feature. it's a backend loophole. photos won't go through, unless you're connected to the internet. again, plain text messages can be sent and received to other apple devices (ipads, macs, iphones) on or off the ship without using your internet minutes.

as far as what to do when in port... by all means if there is available wifi in port and you wish to connect, you can do that. make sure it's wifi, though and that you haven't turned your phone's cell service on, otherwise you'll be subject to roaming fees. some cell phone plans include international coverage, and some include $10 a day service when in certain foreign countries. remember that if you stop in st. thomas or puerto rico, that's "america" and you should have a cell signal. if your cruise includes a stop in mexico, many cell phone plans include coverage in mexico, as well. check with your provider.

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Reports on all sorts of threads here state that you are able to text anyone using the iMessage app. At least, I think it's called iMessage.

it is called imessage, but the user doesn't need to know that and it's not a separate app. you just open up your text app, send a text, and it's delivered behind the scenes through imessage. it basically connects apple devices behind the scenes through known identity factors like your phone number or apple ID or email address... when connected to the internet and when cell service is unavailable.

Edited by UKstages

34 minutes ago, UKstages said:

you do have to login to the app... the app is worthless if you don't log in. but that's very different than logging in to the internet to use wifi minutes. those are two separate logins and verification processes!

once onboard, you get all manner of useful information and scheduling features if logged in to the app.  in addition, you can connect to the wifi through the app, if you so choose.

it's an academic discussion in this thread, since the OP has returned to clarify that not only is at least one of her children "of age," but that there will actually be a parent in each room because they will be mother/daughter in one room and dad /sons in the other.

but as far as who cares... i can assure you that NCL does care. in many cases, it's a matter of liability. more importantly, i'm pretty sure that the people in adjacent cabins care very much, especially those who have had cabins next to unchaperoned "teens."

in most cases, you can indeed text iphones on and off the ship for free (not using internet minutes), but it's not a documented benefit or feature. it's a backend loophole. photos won't go through, unless you're connected to the internet. again, plain text messages can be sent and received to other apple devices (ipads, macs, iphones) on or off the ship without using your internet minutes.

as far as what to do when in port... by all means if there is available wifi in port and you wish to connect, you can do that. make sure it's wifi, though and that you haven't turned your phone's cell service on, otherwise you'll be subject to roaming fees. some cell phone plans include international coverage, and some include $10 a day service when in certain foreign countries. remember that if you stop in st. thomas or puerto rico, that's "america" and you should have a cell signal. if your cruise includes a stop in mexico, many cell phone plans include coverage in mexico, as well. check with your provider.

it is called imessage, but the user doesn't need to know that and it's not a separate app. you just open up your text app, send a text, and it's delivered behind the scenes through imessage. it basically connects apple devices behind the scenes through known identity factors like your phone number or apple ID or email address... when connected to the internet and when cell service is unavailable.

I assure you that every single time I’ve booked 2 cabins for my family, I was told by the NCL representative that my husband and I needed to be booked in separate cabins but folks were free to sleep where they wanted. My oldest were 19 and 20 on our last cruise, living independently at college.

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Well sorta free… it is 9.95 each phone

they give you your own phone number. 

11 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

Well sorta free… it is 9.95 each phone

they give you your own phone number. 

iMessages works without the texting plan offered by NCL, per all sorts of reports on Cruise Critic. I suppose this may stop working at some point, but currently it's reported that it does. @UKstages, thanks for confirming the name.

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

iMessages works without the texting plan offered by NCL, per all sorts of reports on Cruise Critic. I suppose this may stop working at some point, but currently it's reported that it does. @UKstages, thanks for confirming the name.

You never know what will and want work.  I was able to use the app to text home when signed into ships wifi . That is not the normal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

Thank you. I did login to the app but was not able to connect to the ship wifi. Everytime I tried to connect to the ship wifi, the internet minutes login popped up. I will try it next time onboard.

NCL on board wifi is always a crap shoot.  What worked yesterday, may not be working today.  Text messages on our iPhones work about 80% of the time.  The biggest gotcha is when you login to use your free minutes and the system craps out but thinks you are still logged in.  You can't logout because you can't access the system, but the minutes just keep ticking.  Sometimes they realize this and retroactively add minutes back into your account.  Other times, not.  Fortunately, I generally don't need or want to do anything on the internet on the ship.  Maybe download emails every day or two.

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

That is not the normal.

well, it has worked for me on every cruise for the past four or five years, so I'd say it's pretty much the norm.

2 hours ago, CruisingFun2023 said:

Everytime I tried to connect to the ship wifi, the internet minutes login popped up.

just dismiss the prompt and use the app without connecting to "the internet" and using your minutes. some people use the terms "internet" and "wifi" indiscriminately and think they are one and the same because they most often connect to a wifi network to connect to the internet.

they are not the same.

hence, the confusion for some.

you can be connected through the app via wifi signal to NCL's internal network run onboard the ship without ever accessing the internet directly or using your wifi minutes.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, UKstages said:

you can be connected through the app via wifi signal to NCL's internal network run onboard the ship without ever accessing the internet directly or using your wifi minutes.

I think you meant to say "without using your internet minutes."  🤣 (despite how NCL refers to them)

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

I’m just off the Epic on a 16 night TA.  What others have said is true.  You can send iMessages to anyone with an Apple device.  You don’t need to sign into the internet and use your minutes to do it.  It just happens when you’re logged into the ship”s Wi-Fi.  

As far as logging into the app, yes, you need to log in to see your account, things happening on the ship, your calendar, your onboard account, etc.  When you get on the ship, open the app and there will be instructions on how to log in.  If you’re lucky, you will remain logged in.  If you get kicked off, it will bring you back to the same screen. Just log in again.

Once you’re logged onto the WiFi, there is a separate “block” for internet.  That’s what you go to to get to the internet.  It will tell you how many minutes you have left and give options for upgrades.  Just click “Go Online”.  It will bring you into the internet and the minutes start rolling.  Just remember to go back to the app to log out when you’re done and log out. The minutes will go really fast if you don’t log out.  I managed to get off the ship with more than 100 minutes (out of 300) left over.  You just have to be careful.

Just one more note.  Even when not online using minutes I still got my regular news alerts (although for some reason someone thought I was in Colorado when I was in the middle of them Atlantic.  😂).   I also got alerts when someone sent me a message through FB Messenger.  I was able to read the incoming message but needed to log into the internet to respond to them.

Just a few tips.

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 2

Last couple of cruises was asked if I preferred morning or afternoon/evening room cleaning.

There is shampoo and conditioner - was not impressed, used my own. Did not have body lotion on the last couple.

I didn't request beds ahead of schedule. Asked my room steward to change when he introduced himself. Didn't think it was appropriate to share a bed with by 14 yr old grandson. Next cruise the beds were separated. Think unless if they have specific instructions they just leave them the way they were on the last cruise.