First Time

Cricket551

Hubby and I (we are both around 50 and active) will be on Carnival Radiance Feb 2025.  Our stops: Kahului, Maui 10am-11pm - Honolulu Oahu 9am-11pm, Nawiliwili, Kauni 7am- 4pm and Hilo, Hawaii 9am-6pm.  I have done some reading on the boards as well as looked at what Carnival offers as excursions and I just don't know what to pick!  This is a retirement cruise for my hubby and something he has wanted to do for sometime.  We are familiar with cruising just not Hawaii.  

I would love to do a luau and we have 2  late ports: Kahului(Friday) and Honolulu(Saturday).  I have done some searching on the web but seem to be more confused then before.  Seems a lot of them don't offer luaus on Saturdays? And seems the ones in Kahulu are to far from port? Any thoughts or ideas here would be appreciated!

I know we want to see The volcano national park in Hilo, I'm wondering if this being a good distance from port if it would be better to use a ship excursion or if someone could recommend a tour group?

I don't think we would be interested in renting a car and driving our selfs. We could potently do a private tour with a guide, or a group tour if someone had recommendations?

I think this will be a one and done trip for us and I just want to make the most of our times in port. Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated!

30 minutes ago, Cricket551 said:

I would love to do a luau and we have 2  late ports: Kahului(Friday) and Honolulu(Saturday).  I have done some searching on the web but seem to be more confused then before.  Seems a lot of them don't offer luaus on Saturdays? And seems the ones in Kahulu are to far from port? Any thoughts or ideas here would be appreciated!

Kahului is a very industrial port of Maui that is a distance from the main resort areas and picturesque beaches most associate with the island. You are about 45 min to an hour from Kaanapali, where a bunch of resort luaus are and about a half hour to 40 minutes from Wailea where there are a few as well. 

Not every luau is done every day-- a bunch of the resorts have their own luaus and will stagger performances on different days so they don't cannibalize each other. We've done the Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt a bunch of times which is 3-4 times a week (including Saturdays) but the one at the Sheraton is mostly only on Wednesdays. It will come down to which one is put on the day you are there and what sort of availability they have. 

The luau options are going to be geographically closer to you in Honolulu than in Maui and transportation on your own is easier in Honolulu (Uber/Lyft etc). If Maui has an excursion that includes transportation than that might be an option. 

47 minutes ago, Cricket551 said:

I don't think we would be interested in renting a car and driving our selfs. We could potently do a private tour with a guide, or a group tour if someone had recommendations?

I think this will be a one and done trip for us and I just want to make the most of our times in port. Any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated!

If you truly want to make the most of your time in port renting your own car will be the best blend of flexibility and lower cost. The only place you wouldn't need one (because you can Uber easily). Private tours or drivers are always an option but it will cost significantly more. Larger tours of course work but they can be limiting. In Hawaii having your own car generally is the best option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honolulu is your longest port stop and that is where I'd do a luau. Look at Experience Nutridge and the Waikiki Starlight Luau at Hilton Hawaiian Village. If you are retired military or get veteran benefits, look at the luau at the Hale Koa in Waikiki.

On Maui (Kahului), I'd do a whale watching excursion.

On Kauai (Lihue) I'd do an excursion to Waimea Canyon. If it was Summer, I'd say do a Na Pali Coast Cruise, but it is very rainy in Feb.

At Hilo, just takes the ship excursion to VNP.

• Thanks 1

PS DO find your Roll Call for the Radiance and sign up. You have 4 consecutive Sea Days going and 4 consecutive Sea Days coming back. I love the sea days to and from Hawaii, but lots of people are not used to them Take good books, find people in your Roll Call to hang out with, dive into the cultural activities and events.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am following since I am on this cruise too and have the same questions.

I am starting to plan.  Here are my initial thoughts.

Kahului, Maui  -   1st Option: Road to Hana Tour

2nd Option: Whale Watching  (But I will be seeing them in Alaska in June 24)

Honolulu, Oahu - 1st Option.  Waikiki Beach during the day.  Luau at night

2nd Option.  Maybe add a Turtle Trip and skip the Luau

Nawiliwili, Kaui -  Waimea Canyon

Hilo, Big Island - Volcanos.  Nuff said.

Also, another question.  Does anyone know when these start locking up?  IE would prefer to start booking in July after my Alaska Cruise is over and I will have started saving up for this trip.   So I hope it isn't like Alaska and you should book out as early as you can.