What Happened to Guadeloupe?

57eric

Apologies if this has already been addresses, but for the 2023-2024 season, Princess has the following calls on Guadeloupe:  Island Princess 12/25, Caribbean Princess 1/3, Emerald Princess 2/25 and Ruby Princess 3/13.  For the 2024-2025 season, there are none.  Is there a reason? 

We were there a year ago on the Princess maiden voyage to Guadeloupe.  There were hardly any excursions and the few that were offered sold out quickly.  I had heard on the ship at the time that Princess was likely going to drop Guadeloupe again because there wasn't much there to offer to guests.  It's a shame because it's a lovely place.

12 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

We were there a year ago on the Princess maiden voyage to Guadeloupe.  There were hardly any excursions and the few that were offered sold out quickly.  I had heard on the ship at the time that Princess was likely going to drop Guadeloupe again because there wasn't much there to offer to guests.  It's a shame because it's a lovely place.

Thanks for the responses.  I see that shore excursions are on the thin side there.  I can't understand this, because Guadeloupe has loads to offer and gets quite a few cruise ships.  Someone is missing the boat (sorry) here.

Guadeloupe unpopular because of limited excursions?  Let's check the statistics.  Aruba, 69 sq. mi., 22 excursions offered.  Bonaire, 111 sq. mi., 20 excursions.  Guadeloupe, 629 sq. mi., 9 excursions. 

Seems to be true!  The apparent conclusion is to stop going instead of developing additional excursions.

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

Guadeloupe unpopular because of limited excursions?  Let's check the statistics.  Aruba, 69 sq. mi., 22 excursions offered.  Bonaire, 111 sq. mi., 20 excursions.  Guadeloupe, 629 sq. mi., 9 excursions. 

Seems to be true!  The apparent conclusion is to stop going instead of developing additional excursions.

It's not only the number of excursions but the numbers allowed on each excursion.  I know for some of the ones offered in Guadeloupe there is limited space, in some cases one bus.  The more popular excursions on many other islands have a lot more spaces to sell.  Hard to quantify that before Princess tends to show 20 spaces available until an excursion is close to being fully subscribed.

Edited by azbirdmom

On 12/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, 57eric said:

Apologies if this has already been addresses, but for the 2023-2024 season, Princess has the following calls on Guadeloupe:  Island Princess 12/25, Caribbean Princess 1/3, Emerald Princess 2/25 and Ruby Princess 3/13.  For the 2024-2025 season, there are none.  Is there a reason? 

I don't know why Princess is no longer going to Guadeloupe. Our experience last February was that we could not get an excursion with Princess on Guadeloupe. The excursions were very limited and the ones they had filled up very fast.

I asked a crew member at the shore excursion desk about going in port on our own and walking around the city.  My question was is it safe to walk around Guadeloupe on our own, with a person in a wheelchair. He said it isn't the safest port and with a wheelchair our party might be more vulnerable. 

We decided to stay on the ship didn't want to take the chance. 

Kaye