Live Review from Connie - Christmas Cruise December 22nd-28th

go.without.you

Well they are about to give us the heave ho and make us walk the plank. This cruise has been amazing!

I was worried about being on an older ship when I booked this trip. When I was cruising 20 years ago it was always the better and more senior staff on the newer ships because they would bid on their contracts, but what I've been told the cruise line sends them where needed so that's a win for the passengers. 

The only complaint I have, other than this cruise was too short (they are all too short) is the captain's club. I did not receive the list of captain club activities for the week. I was discussing this in Michael's last night with another guest and the concierge overhead me and brought over the paper. Of course it was too late at that point and I should have asked him earlier, so that's on me. I'm not going to blame the cabin steward either because he went above and beyond. I left him a note thanking him again for the use of the charger all week along with extra cash.  If you get Meggan as your steward, you are in good hands. 

We considered kidnapping our waiter Royce but then realized it would be an international crime so then we decided against it. Ain't no one got time for that, as the kids say. 

So I'm giving this cruise a 10 out of 10 and it almost makes up for last month. Almost, but I'm still pissed at MSC. 

And sorry I didn't post the wine list. Zho (pronounced Joe) was the wine steward and each meal I would tell her what I ordered and she would match me with a wine. She would even give us a "road pop" (in FL talk that's a drink for the road). I asked about the upcharge on drinks and wine and was told it was in effect but we never ordered anything above the package or else we were given the better wine on the sly. We had a Chilean pinot that was amazing, highly recommend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

Well they are about to give us the heave ho and make us walk the plank. This cruise has been amazing!

I was worried about being on an older ship when I booked this trip. When I was cruising 20 years ago it was always the better and more senior staff on the newer ships because they would bid on their contracts, but what I've been told the cruise line sends them where needed so that's a win for the passengers. 

The only complaint I have, other than this cruise was too short (they are all too short) is the captain's club. I did not receive the list of captain club activities for the week. I was discussing this in Michael's last night with another guest and the concierge overhead me and brought over the paper. Of course it was too late at that point and I should have asked him earlier, so that's on me. I'm not going to blame the cabin steward either because he went above and beyond. I left him a note thanking him again for the use of the charger all week along with extra cash.  If you get Meggan as your steward, you are in good hands. 

We considered kidnapping our waiter Royce but then realized it would be an international crime so then we decided against it. Ain't no one got time for that, as the kids say. 

So I'm giving this cruise a 10 out of 10 and it almost makes up for last month. Almost, but I'm still pissed at MSC. 

And sorry I didn't post the wine list. Zho (pronounced Joe) was the wine steward and each meal I would tell her what I ordered and she would match me with a wine. She would even give us a "road pop" (in FL talk that's a drink for the road). I asked about the upcharge on drinks and wine and was told it was in effect but we never ordered anything above the package or else we were given the better wine on the sly. We had a Chilean pinot that was amazing, highly recommend. 

Thanks for your review.  We're boarding the Connie next week (our 4th time on board) and have one of the Celebrity Suites.  We happen to like Michael's and I will be sure to ask for the list of activities.  I know a couple of the entertainers have done special performances in Michael's in the past and we really enjoyed them.  Definitely would hate to miss those.

One question if you happen to know the answer.  At least during a couple of the dinners on board we enjoy ordering a bottle of Caymus if it's available.  Lately on many Celebrity cruises it's been hit or miss if they have it on board (I know it's not a package wine but we order bottles anyway).  Did you happen to see it anywhere on board?  If not our 2nd choice is Belle Glos by the bottle.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stones902 said:

Thanks for your review.  We're boarding the Connie next week (our 4th time on board) and have one of the Celebrity Suites.  We happen to like Michael's and I will be sure to ask for the list of activities.  I know a couple of the entertainers have done special performances in Michael's in the past and we really enjoyed them.  Definitely would hate to miss those.

One question if you happen to know the answer.  At least during a couple of the dinners on board we enjoy ordering a bottle of Caymus if it's available.  Lately on many Celebrity cruises it's been hit or miss if they have it on board (I know it's not a package wine but we order bottles anyway).  Did you happen to see it anywhere on board?  If not our 2nd choice is Belle Glos by the bottle.  

I did not see it but I wasn't looking for it either. 

The CC activities list is sometimes hidden in all of the papers, or folder that is either on the bed or desk at the start of the cruise.  Sometimes the attendants are  just overloaded with their duties and miss something.  

On our recent cruise we mentioned we found in an item in a drawer to the room attendant.   We were asking if it belonged in the cabin  or if the previous passengers left it.    He got very upset and thought we were complaining about the drawer not being emptied.   He was almost in tears said that he had so many cabins that he didn’t have time to look in every nook and cranny.    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 12/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, go.without.you said:

One thing about the staff on this ship. They $@#& rock!!! Every single one of them. No matter who we encounter, the captain, the head chef, the maintenance personnel, every single one of them acknowledge us and say hello. This ship is why I love to cruise. The elegance, the fabulous service and great food. 

Since we first stepped onboard the Connie in 2008, we have felt the same. Crew and staff are so happy, such a huge asset on this ship.

We were on this cruise with you! Didn’t see your thread. Actually, son who cruised with us found it, after we got home today. As he and I discussed, there’s so much posting on the Celebrity boards, threads get buried quickly. So now I just read the Viking boards and the Crystal boards, until I suddenly wonder, have I missed anything re Celebrity!

Anyway, the escargot in the MDR also are excellent. I never saw the brownie sundae, but I was happy with every dessert I had, so I won’t worry about it. Actually, I enjoyed five beef dinners out of six, a true rarity. So happy to have prime rib, tournedos, Wellington and Dianne all nicely done on this cruise. Back to the way it used to be! With an extra oomph b/c it was a holiday cruise.

Edited by May B
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 5:11 PM, Jim_Iain said:

John,

You don't have to miss the snacks.   Just tell the head butler you want them delivered every afternoon and it will be arranged.    Water and Soda I'm not sure about -  I do know our friends traveling with us just told them he expected his water replenished daily at no charge and it was done.   It wasn't the large bottles but the small ones.

Our steward brought us 3 bottles of water every day without us asking for it. 

We were in Aqua on deck 11. This was our 16th sailing with Celebrity and our 50th cruise overall. We usually cruise with Royal over Christmas.

We agree that the overwhelming majority of crew were friendly and efficient. Service in Blu suffered from a few blips over the first couple of nights. As did the quality of the dishes. Calamari appetizer and salmon main course were badly overcooked ... virtually inedible. Salads came dry, without the promised dressings. When we pointed that out, a bottle of olive oil and another of balsamic were plunked down.

We didn't complain but did comment honestly when asked. Clearly, the info was passed on and the remainder of our dinners were much improved. I have to say though, that we selected some of our dinner entrees from the MDR menu. We've never done that before. Service, particularly from Lyn (wine server) was excellent. 

The ship was refreshed since our last Constellation cruise. The carpets and most furnishings seemed quite new. The Connie seemed bright and comfortable. Christmas decorations were beautiful.

One annoying failure: No berries of any description in the Spa Cafe, so no berry smoothies for at least the several mornings that we checked. And if you're a vanilla soft serve fan, that flavour was unavailable (Oceanview) for the duration.

We had the Premium drinks package and discovered that the Kendall Jackson Elegance Pinot Noir was now priced at $19, so no longer included in the package. Not a big thing, but perhaps worth mentioning.

Still, even with the subtle (and not so subtle) cutbacks, we still had a great cruise! We were ultimately very happy with Blu and the benefits of Aqua. Holiday spirit was alive, and it was lovely to see multi-generational families celebrating together!

• Like 3