In-Room Liquor Usage

dabomb6608

7 minutes ago, aborgman said:

That is generally 12x16oz beers, not 12x12oz.  The equivalent of 16 12oz beers per day.

I suppose if you're drinking "canoe beer", I can see that.

I drink basically nothing but IPA's - so a dozen pints is pretty significant.

....and are you drinking a dozen pints on days you're in port? I'm not - I get off the ship. That drastically reduces the spend 3-4 days of a 7 day cruise.

As I noted - if you start adding on specialty coffees, milkshakes,Gatorades, waters, etc. - it becomes a much better deal. I don't buy any of those things.

Current prices appear to be:

$7.00-$7.50 for 16oz Domestics

$7.95 for 16oz imports

$7.95 for 16oz craft beers

https://profcruise.com/carnival-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2023/

Thanks for posting those prices.  Now that I read through them, it does look familiar. 

Wanted to update this thread once I returned from our 7 day trip on Mardi Gras.

Ended up bringing only one bottle of wine onboard. Of which I didn't finish...Wife had no more than one drink a day as I expected. I ranged anywhere from 4-6 drinks a day. We don't do the whole specialty coffee thing. I do regret never getting a milkshake but every time we passed by I was full and not feeling one at that time.

We ate at the steakhouse one night ($115 after tip). We did Cucina Del Capitano two nights but looking at my statement I don't think they charged me the $8 each for the second time. I tried the Prime Rib one night in Pig & Anchor ($17 after tip). We purchased $14 worth of candy at Cherry On Top. And finally we both rode Bolt once ($30). 

So final statement total of $596.50. Removing the above non-cheers related items brings it to $420.50. We had a stateroom credit of $143.83. This brings final cost of anything that would have been "Cheers related" to $276.67.

$276.67 is well under the $990 it would have cost me to purchase the Cheers package for our trip. And I was able to try all the different types of drinks I wanted without being limited to whatever I smuggled onboard. I'm perfectly happy with not purchasing Cheers. 

Somewhat related...I am very surprised at the cost of drinks while at port. It has been almost 4 years for us but I was always under the impression drinking cost much less while off the ship. This was 100% not the case. I was most disappointed at the Mahogany Bay beach. $17 for a 20ish ounce barely frozen drink that tasted like a non-alcoholic drink. Bar service was beyond slow and I specifically asked for a "double" and watched them pour the mix out of a premade gallon jug then add ice and blend it. In the end I don't think I was charged extra on that drink but still...

On 1/14/2024 at 8:57 AM, dabomb6608 said:

Wanted to update this thread once I returned from our 7 day trip on Mardi Gras.

Ended up bringing only one bottle of wine onboard. Of which I didn't finish...Wife had no more than one drink a day as I expected. I ranged anywhere from 4-6 drinks a day. We don't do the whole specialty coffee thing. I do regret never getting a milkshake but every time we passed by I was full and not feeling one at that time.

We ate at the steakhouse one night ($115 after tip). We did Cucina Del Capitano two nights but looking at my statement I don't think they charged me the $8 each for the second time. I tried the Prime Rib one night in Pig & Anchor ($17 after tip). We purchased $14 worth of candy at Cherry On Top. And finally we both rode Bolt once ($30). 

So final statement total of $596.50. Removing the above non-cheers related items brings it to $420.50. We had a stateroom credit of $143.83. This brings final cost of anything that would have been "Cheers related" to $276.67.

While I agree that you save money by not purchasing Cheers, I believe your calculation is a little off.

In most (if not all) cases, that stateroom credit would have been applied to anything on your folio, including that $176.50 of charges that you said were non Cheers-related.  So it would not be correct to deduct that off your bar bill to compare it to Cheers.

12 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

While I agree that you save money by not purchasing Cheers, I believe your calculation is a little off.

In most (if not all) cases, that stateroom credit would have been applied to anything on your folio, including that $176.50 of charges that you said were non Cheers-related.  So it would not be correct to deduct that off your bar bill to compare it to Cheers.

The credit would have been put towards the purchase of cheers well before we boarded if we went the cheers route. The apples to apples comparison is to apply the credit to the purchase of cheers/alcohol alone. So I guess technically I should have deducted that credit from the purchase of cheers value of $990 down to $846.07.

Making the savings of not buying cheers $569.40. ($846.07 cheers cost - $276.67 alcohol cost)

1 hour ago, dabomb6608 said:

The credit would have been put towards the purchase of cheers well before we boarded if we went the cheers route. The apples to apples comparison is to apply the credit to the purchase of cheers/alcohol alone. So I guess technically I should have deducted that credit from the purchase of cheers value of $990 down to $846.07.

Making the savings of not buying cheers $569.40. ($846.07 cheers cost - $276.67 alcohol cost)

That works, too!😃

• Like 1