Costa maya excursion refund from Princess

canadiancruisersh

• Host Kat changed the title to Costa maya excursion refund from Princess
7 hours ago, canadiancruisersh said:

we recently were refunded for our upcoming excursions in Costa maya in January.

No communication from princess, and when I asked their chat line they had no idea.

Anyone else recently have an excursion cancelled?

What exactly is the problem? If you were refunded by Princess, why do you need to endure the hell of trying to contact them?

A question like this is probably best suited for the Princess forum, as it doesn't really relate to being Canadian.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - has happened to me several times.  Once because the entire excursion was reserved for a large group on the ship.  The other two times, so that the excursion could be reposted at a higher price (Grrr)

Oh my goodness - this has happened to me as well... but with NCL.

I was checking my credit card postings two weeks before sailing in November and I was stunned to see 20 refunds from NCL....Went to my cruise planner and all 10 of our pre-paid excursions I had booked two months earlier were gone. 

Called NCL... they advised that in light of the situation in the middle east, the cruiseline had cancelled cruises/excursions in the affected area but a "glitch" meant unaffected cruises were also getting cancelled. The person I spoke with said they "thought" that they had managed to rebook everyone without them ever knowing there was an issue and my bookings must have "fallen through the cracks."

I was also very unhappy as one of the excursions was sold out and no longer available for me to rebook and the exchange rate had changed in the intervening months so I had to pay $30 more.

In 20 cruises that was the first time something like that has happened but it provided me with an important lesson... always quadruple check! I'm just glad I caught the error before being on the ship. If I hadn't, I would have boarded thinking everything was taken care of only to find out I had nothing booked. Not a fun way to start a vacation, I'm sure! 

Posted (edited)

And when Princess cancels an excursion on you, you get stiffed on the exchange rate through your CC. i.e. Without the bank exchange rate changing, you purchase a $100 USD excursion and your credit card in CAD is $140. A canceled excursion returns $100 USD but your credit card only returns $130. You lose $10.

Not to mention the aggravation of having to find another excursion.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

And when Princess cancels an excursion on you, you get stiffed on the exchange rate through your CC. i.e. Without the bank exchange rate changing, you purchase a $100 USD excursion and your credit card in CAD is $140. A canceled excursion returns $100 USD but your credit card only returns $130. You lose $10.

Not to mention the aggravation of having to find another excursion.

That's one of the many reasons that I use a credit card on which there are no FX fees. Depending on the rates at the time you bought and at the time of the refund, you could even make a few dollars if you're lucky.