Long Day Post Cruise Fort Lauderdale

roxannex

Hello! I will be getting off a cruise at Fort Lauderdale and the plane doesn’t leave from FLL until 8PM. My friend has never been to Florida before. I’m debating a day pass at a close resort or going to the airport and renting a car so we can drive around the area. Or I’m open to another idea. I’m worried that after a week of cruising the day pass might just feel like more of the same. But I’m also not very familiar with the area and not sure what’s easily accessible. What would you do with one long day with someone who had never visited Florida before. I’d originally thought about driving to Miami. But I’m not sure. Thanks! 

We have done this before. Grab a cab and go to the nearest hotel, like Hilton Marina. Its like 1 block from the port. Go inside and have them hold your luggage. Give them $ 5-10. Buy a day pass there to ride the water taxi. It boards right next to the hotel. You can get on and off all day and see a lot of Fort Lauderdale. When you are ready to go to the airport, its a 12-15 min ride. We have done this at Embassy Suites on 17th. st. and also Hyatt Place Cruise Port Convention center when having a late flight. Fort Lauderdale and the port are 2-3 miles apart, so real close. Plenty of stops on the Taxi to eat or have drinks. I think the Water Taxi is about $35 P.P. all day.

• Like 2

We used Dayuse once in Fort Lauderdale. Gave us a place to leave luggage and rest in AC with wifi. Also we were able to rearrange our suitcases between how we needed it for cruise ship vs how we needed it for flying. But it was just a place to wait for us that wasn't the airport - it wasn't to give us something else to DO. 

Some of the cruise lines offer disembarkation excursions that take you on some type of tour and then drop you at the airport at the end of the tour. 

• Like 1

We have the same perdicament but porting in to Miami, flying out of FLL later that day (8:45pm), so planning to take a taxi to MIA airport, picking up a car and driving around either shopping or site seeing.  Sitting at an airport for 10 hours doesn't seem like a good idea -- lounge or no lounge (plus I think they limit the amount of time you can spend in the lounge or what time you can check in, depending on your flight).

I once did an Everglades Tour post cruise from the cruise line.  They kept all of the luggage on the bus, then after the tour, dropped us off the airport.  Saw lots of alligators ( or crocodiles?).  There was even a show with trainers handling the animals  Nice way to kill about 5 hours before waiting at the airport.

Take a look at the 2024 Cruise Guide (https://www.calameo.com/read/004673538e0c61586eefa) on the Port Everglades website (www.porteverglades.net).  It includes advertisements for local excursion companies.

Another useful website is Fort Lauderdale's tourism site:  www.visitlauderdale.com,  Check out "things to do" in addition to information on dining and transportation.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 1:37 AM, amby6063 said:

Anyone used Resort Pass? We booked with the Bahia Mar, price was reasonable for the 8 of us. 

Have you cruised/stayed at Bahia Mar yet?  This is where I am looking at booking for our cruise return day on Feb 25th.  Flight isn't until 7:45 pm

Just now, Cinderellis said:

Have you cruised/stayed at Bahia Mar yet?  This is where I am looking at booking for our cruise return day on Feb 25th.  Flight isn't until 7:45 pm

We did stay there for the day! $15 taxi from port to the hotel, we got there around 10 am, stored our luggage and there were a ton of pool chairs open. Got busier throughout the day though. Had lunch at the tables by the pool. Theres also a pool house with a ping pong table to hang out in. Walkway straight to the beach was really convenient. I wish they had showers, but overall it was great and worked really well for the 8 of us! 

2 minutes ago, amby6063 said:

We did stay there for the day! $15 taxi from port to the hotel, we got there around 10 am, stored our luggage and there were a ton of pool chairs open. Got busier throughout the day though. Had lunch at the tables by the pool. Theres also a pool house with a ping pong table to hang out in. Walkway straight to the beach was really convenient. I wish they had showers, but overall it was great and worked really well for the 8 of us! 

Wow - thank you!  The hotel stated they had an outdoor shower, I was hoping to use this to rinse off.  Was this offered to you?  Was there a DJ (if you were there on a weekend)?   We will be there on a Sunday and hope for not blasted music at the pool  Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, Cinderellis said:

Wow - thank you!  The hotel stated they had an outdoor shower, I was hoping to use this to rinse off.  Was this offered to you?  Was there a DJ (if you were there on a weekend)?   We will be there on a Sunday and hope for not blasted music at the pool  Thanks again!

yep there was an outdoor shower, my husband used it  (dressed lol) after going for a run. They did have music at the pool starting at noon but it was good! Could still have a conversation with the music playing. They shut down after about an hour though because it started pouring. 

Edited by amby6063

10 minutes ago, amby6063 said:

yep there was an outdoor shower, my husband used it  (dressed lol) after going for a run. They did have music at the pool starting at noon but it was good! Could still have a conversation with the music playing. They shut down after about an hour though because it started pouring. 

Thank you so much Amby6063!  I feel much more comfortable booking this!  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:37 AM, amby6063 said:

Anyone used Resort Pass? We booked with the Bahia Mar, price was reasonable for the 8 of us. 

We used it for Pullman (we got a day room with Dayuse but needed one more pass as a family of 5). Such a great option and went smoothly!