Embarkation in Bali compared to Valparaiso

zitsky

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When you got to Valparaiso terminal at 10:30 was the line already long to wait for the buses?  

Viking seemed a much easier transfer.  Much smaller lines and buses leaving half empty.

There is a chance to tour a winery in Uruguay maybe others so skipping the tour might be a good idea.

Other than that, @CeleryCruiser how was your cruise?

No there were no buses for Celebrity at that time - only for Jupiter they started embarkation  at 11 ish.   At the time we organized ourselves for the embarkation sign up queue there were no lines for embarkation buses at all - we just walked in. As I mentioned  they started to build up the embarkation desk about at noon. I suppose that we were embarking to the ship among first ones - maybe it was the second or third bus. The problem seemed to be the other (container) traffic in the port and lack of traffic control for cruise buses.   

Our cruise was just what we expected - bit chilly though. ( so as a tip to becoming cruisers do not hesitate to take the winter coat with you it is really windy) What I would do better is to inform the cruising highlights somewhere in the info tv just to anticipate better the timing of the main landscape highlights like the Canal Beagle and its glaciers/ ice streams which happened to be very early morning.

Eclipse is a bit worn at the moment - upholstering in public places and restaurants really need some updating but the personnel was great -  maybe bit in better than in Edge - but it is also a dependent of supervising and resources as well. Only disappointment which we had was the Murano restaurant. The food quality and service was not worth of money- just to compare last summer Edge and Eden restaurant which was  phenomenal both in  taste &quality of food.  

I loved the daily lectures by the environmentalist even they were very light they were very entertaining. 

22 minutes ago, CeleryCruiser said:

No there were no buses for Celebrity at that time - only for Jupiter they started embarkation  at 11 ish.   At the time we organized ourselves for the embarkation sign up queue there were no lines for embarkation buses at all - we just walked in. As I mentioned  they started to build up the embarkation desk about at noon. I suppose that we were embarking to the ship among first ones - maybe it was the second or third bus. The problem seemed to be the other (container) traffic in the port and lack of traffic control for cruise buses.   

Our cruise was just what we expected - bit chilly though. ( so as a tip to becoming cruisers do not hesitate to take the winter coat with you it is really windy) What I would do better is to inform the cruising highlights somewhere in the info tv just to anticipate better the timing of the main landscape highlights like the Canal Beagle and its glaciers/ ice streams which happened to be very early morning.

Eclipse is a bit worn at the moment - upholstering in public places and restaurants really need some updating but the personnel was great -  maybe bit in better than in Edge - but it is also a dependent of supervising and resources as well. Only disappointment which we had was the Murano restaurant. The food quality and service was not worth of money- just to compare last summer Edge and Eden restaurant which was  phenomenal both in  taste &quality of food.  

I loved the daily lectures by the environmentalist even they were very light they were very entertaining. 

I thought Eclipse was fine.  I would sail it again.  I noticed the deck overhang needs painting.  Maybe a future dry dock?

Did you try Tuscan?  My husband grew tired of Murano after two dinners plus Chef’s Table.  And no view.

1 hour ago, CeleryCruiser said:

We were also in this Xmas cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires  - We came straight from Santiago to Valparaiso early -  we left our hotel at 9:00 and were in Valparaiso port terminal at 10:30 ' ish - That time they were still disembarking and they started to build up the embarkation area in the terminal. I think a bit late - abt at noon. Luggage point was bit in an odd place and not very easy place if you have large suitcases - it is behind the terminal building and even the personnel in terminal was not able to guide us to the right place - please ask the taxi driver to drop you off after the terminal  building  not where the main doors are ( Naturally if the if the setup is still the same).   We embarked about 12:30 and get our luggage about 14:00.  We heard from others that the there were a mess going on at the port.... so my suggestion is : Be early.

Thanks this is very helpful! 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I can’t give you a good answer for one reason, maybe two.

You mention Vin del Mar.  I think Casas del Bosque is a terrific winery also.

However we got to the terminal around 3pm and it was crazy.  A 2-3 hour wait.  We were with a friend with medical issues so we moved ahead in line.

I wonder if we had gotten there first thing in the morning how long the wait would be.  I’d see if anyone is still watching the old roll calls or maybe someone will post here.

Do you have a boarding time yet?

We don't have a boarding time.  We weren't going to a winery, just the town of Vin del Mar as well as a drive around Valparaiso as part of a pre-boarding tour and transfer from Santiago.  Now I am wondering if we should hire a private driver and head straight to the port...  I hate to miss seeing more of Valparaiso and Chile in general, but I have yet to read one positive thing about the embarkation process at Valparaiso port. 

17 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thanks this is very helpful! 

We don't have a boarding time.  We weren't going to a winery, just the town of Vin del Mar as well as a drive around Valparaiso as part of a pre-boarding tour and transfer from Santiago.  Now I am wondering if we should hire a private driver and head straight to the port...  I hate to miss seeing more of Valparaiso and Chile in general, but I have yet to read one positive thing about the embarkation process at Valparaiso port. 

My experience in Valparaiso is dated (December 2015, on our 2nd Celebrity cruise), but that port remains vividly in my memory. We disembarked there after a 14-night cruise from Lauderdale down through the Panama Canal and along the South American coast. On arrival in Valpo, we got off (no drama), found a taxi, and went to our hotel in the heights, MM450 Hotel Boutique. Our tour guide met us there and we spent the next two days with him off and on before then going with him (and our travel companions) to Santiago with winery stops etc along the way. [From Santiago we went on to Easter Island for Christmas, but that is another story.]

My recommendation: go from Santiago with the tour you planned, but at least one day early. Once in Valpo and settled into a hotel, then (via Trip Advisor) find a walking tour. Wonderful artwork on the walls in portions of the city, spectacular views from the various ascensors which provide elevator-like transportation from below up into the city. With the tour or on your own, be sure to see Pablo Naruda's home "La Sebastiana".  For embarkation, take a taxi from your hotel mid-morning and settle into your cruise. I just checked Trip Advisor, our guide Juan Victor Reyes is no longer shown but searching for him brought up several interesting alternative walking tours.

Stan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

My experience in Valparaiso is dated (December 2015, on our 2nd Celebrity cruise), but that port remains vividly in my memory. We disembarked there after a 14-night cruise from Lauderdale down through the Panama Canal and along the South American coast. On arrival in Valpo, we got off (no drama), found a taxi, and went to our hotel in the heights, MM450 Hotel Boutique. Our tour guide met us there and we spent the next two days with him off and on before then going with him (and our travel companions) to Santiago with winery stops etc along the way. [From Santiago we went on to Easter Island for Christmas, but that is another story.]

My recommendation: go from Santiago with the tour you planned, but at least one day early. Once in Valpo and settled into a hotel, then (via Trip Advisor) find a walking tour. Wonderful artwork on the walls in portions of the city, spectacular views from the various ascensors which provide elevator-like transportation from below up into the city. With the tour or on your own, be sure to see Pablo Naruda's home "La Sebastiana".  For embarkation, take a taxi from your hotel mid-morning and settle into your cruise. I just checked Trip Advisor, our guide Juan Victor Reyes is no longer shown but searching for him brought up several interesting alternative walking tours.

Stan

That’s great advice to go early. Santiago was interesting for the second time, and the Ritz Carlton very nice, plus we had a great meal at Boragó.  But the main art museum was a disappointment.  The highlight of the trip was our stop at Casas del Bosque.  If we had spent less time at Santiago we would have had a better boarding experience.

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

That’s great advice to go early. Santiago was interesting for the second time, and the Ritz Carlton very nice, plus we had a great meal at Boragó.  But the main art museum was a disappointment.  The highlight of the trip was our stop at Casas del Bosque.  If we had spent less time at Santiago we would have had a better boarding experience.

Well, we arrive late on a Friday and cruise on Sunday, so time is limited.   Good to hear about the Ritz - that is where we are staying for both nights.   We booked this cruise rather late (right at 90 day mark) and a lot of hotels in Valparaiso were sold out or didn't fit our needs (twin beds and not a lot of stairs), so we decided just to spend Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night in Santiago and then head to Valparaiso.    If we are fortunate enough to return we will spend more time in Valparaiso I guess.  

9 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Well, we arrive late on a Friday and cruise on Sunday, so time is limited.   Good to hear about the Ritz - that is where we are staying for both nights.   We booked this cruise rather late (right at 90 day mark) and a lot of hotels in Valparaiso were sold out or didn't fit our needs (twin beds and not a lot of stairs), so we decided just to spend Friday night, all day Saturday and Saturday night in Santiago and then head to Valparaiso.    If we are fortunate enough to return we will spend more time in Valparaiso I guess.  

We liked the executive lounge at the Ritz.  We spent a lot of time there when not out touring.

Boragó was expensive but amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Relative to Valparaiso embarkation on the Eclipse.

I got a call from the Celebrity executive office while on a work meeting about my experience boarding the ship in Valparaiso.  I will call them Monday.  I guess I sent them an email.  I may have also filled out a survey.

Edited by zitsky

We’re going to be on the March 14 Eclipse cruise from Valparaiso, and I am trying to get as much information about the boarding process as I can. So far, it doesn’t sound great. If I’m reading this correctly, it’s getting the bus to the actual boarding area from check in that’s the problem? 
Our check in online starts Monday and I plan to get the earliest time I can and hopefully, just deal with whatever comes. But I think people have been a little hard on the OP. If you have had a bad embarkation, and Perth in 2019 is a vivid example for me, you try your hardest to avoid another one by asking for information. And of course, it’s a first world problem but we never forget how lucky we  are to be able to travel.

By the way, we just got an email from Celebrity about Buenos Aires. They are changing terminals there. Apparently with the storm damage, operations at the normal cruise terminal were, um, pretty bad. 
OP, if you do go to Bali, please post about it. It’s on my very long bucket list, but I have hopes for 2026.

44 minutes ago, soccermommy said:

We’re going to be on the March 14 Eclipse cruise from Valparaiso, and I am trying to get as much information about the boarding process as I can. So far, it doesn’t sound great. If I’m reading this correctly, it’s getting the bus to the actual boarding area from check in that’s the problem? 
Our check in online starts Monday and I plan to get the earliest time I can and hopefully, just deal with whatever comes. But I think people have been a little hard on the OP. If you have had a bad embarkation, and Perth in 2019 is a vivid example for me, you try your hardest to avoid another one by asking for information. And of course, it’s a first world problem but we never forget how lucky we  are to be able to travel.

By the way, we just got an email from Celebrity about Buenos Aires. They are changing terminals there. Apparently with the storm damage, operations at the normal cruise terminal were, um, pretty bad. 
OP, if you do go to Bali, please post about it. It’s on my very long bucket list, but I have hopes for 2026.

It not just the buses.  Yes the buses waited quite a while at the ship.  But it’s also the 2-3 hour wait for the buses.  At Valparaiso.  At 3pm.  So yes, do get there early.  

I like the advice from another poster about doing any tours the day before and staying overnight in Valparaiso the day before boarding the ship.  Honestly our hotel in Santiago was nice but I think we could have stayed one day less without missing anything.