Jumping Ship: Celebrity to NCL

DoubleEntry

I am also in the same boat with jumping from Celebrity to NCL. I have my first cruise with NCL booked for next December.  I did a lot of price comparisons between the two and NCL came out miles ahead. X has definitely priced themselves out IMO as others have said.  The only thing I even slightly worry about is the food quality. But I'm game to give it a try and if I don't like a dish I can always move on to others. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, chewsifer1220 said:

I am also in the same boat with jumping from Celebrity to NCL. I have my first cruise with NCL booked for next December.  I did a lot of price comparisons between the two and NCL came out miles ahead. X has definitely priced themselves out IMO as others have said.  The only thing I even slightly worry about is the food quality. But I'm game to give it a try and if I don't like a dish I can always move on to others. 

I think the Royal Caribbean group is pricing themself out as a whole. Carnival and NCL are absolutely more of a value, at least on paper. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been looking at the pricing of Celebrity and RCCL and have noticed a significant price increase without adding anything to the cost then the name branding.

We are seasoned cruisers,  and looked at trying a different line then our regular, Carnival, have been on RCCL and it was a great cruise it just didn't have a fun vibe.

Was seriously considering Celebrity until I was on the NCL looking at the pricing, mock booked a balcony room, logged off. Then I am not kidding you, less then 10 minutes I get a call from NCL to see if they can help finish the booking. I explained I was price comparing, he asked how they did in that category. 

I told him both were very comparable with NCL being a bit cheaper.

He went to explain the FAS, BOGO Air, half off deposits, I was floored they even called.

Something we all do is not include all the extras, Air, adults drinks etc as this increases the total cost.

Well we are booked for our first NCL in August, Breakaway and are excited to cruise with them...

Sure, most lines are simular but different enough to make a difference. 

The NCL guy was so helpful and even placed a hold for us so I can continue to research.

He made all the difference and can't wait to give NCL a try an, see if it will be our new go too...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I think the Royal Caribbean group is pricing themself out as a whole. Carnival and NCL are absolutely more of a value, at least on paper. 

Agreed. Everything is subjective to the person who is booking the cruise. What I think is valuable another will disagree.  To each their own as everyone gets to spend their money how they want to.  Carnival to me just isn't worth it since I have no kids and I don't drink. Others will disagree and that's okay 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, chewsifer1220 said:

Which ship?  Since you've never sailed NCL, we can steer you in the right direction based on your ship's restaurants.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Which ship?  Since you've never sailed NCL, we can steer you in the right direction based on your ship's restaurants.

I appreciate that. I'm on the Breakaway. I've done a lot of research on the restaurants on that ship and others.  Right now my plan is to go to Ocean Blue and Wasabi as I love seafood with my 2 specialty restaurant dining credits. I am a solo traveler so Teppanyaki and Moderno just don't interest me. I have both of those type of places in my area anyway. But I am open to ideas and input from the more seasoned NCL travelers! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, chewsifer1220 said:

I appreciate that. I'm on the Breakaway. I've done a lot of research on the restaurants on that ship and others.  Right now my plan is to go to Ocean Blue and Wasabi as I love seafood with my 2 specialty restaurant dining credits. I am a solo traveler so Teppanyaki and Moderno just don't interest me. I have both of those type of places in my area anyway. But I am open to ideas and input from the more seasoned NCL travelers! 

Two GREAT dining choices.  I would have chosen the same.  And, I cruise solo a lot.  If you want, make sure to see when/where the solo meet ups are when you get to your cabin.  They'll have the itineraries on the TV.  Worth going, at least once, to meet others on board to hang out with if you want.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Two GREAT dining choices.  I would have chosen the same.  And, I cruise solo a lot.  If you want, make sure to see when/where the solo meet ups are when you get to your cabin.  They'll have the itineraries on the TV.  Worth going, at least once, to meet others on board to hang out with if you want.

The solo meet up is the only reason I plan on reading the dailies lol  I'll probably go once just to see what's happening otherwise I'll keep to myself and enjoy my cruise! Appreciate all the advice! 

• Like 1

Used to cruise with Celebrity - did few Costa cruises lately as those are cheap. As our anniversary was coming up I started to compare pricing for a bit more up scale experience than Costa for our family (me, wife and 12 yr daughter). As I had previous positive experience with Celebrity I started there doing some test bookings and reading Cruise Critic posts. The negative amount of changes mentioned in the posts  and pricing forced me to do some alternative searching for more options. NCL came up, did some booking tests, read even more Cruise Critic posts. At first the Celebrity seemed cheaper than NCL  but then I realised that the ship was Summit and for bit more modern ship the price tag will be much higher. Add few requirements such as a balcony, drink package and price was out of question. NCL has a modern ship (Viva) and some perks are included like special dining. The price tag was still expensive but doable as NCL does not charge full cruise fare for the daughter. Funny thing that RCL was most expensive for us as they charged full adult price for the daughter.  

So now we are in a long wait for the Viva Greek Isle cruise to start but it is going to be interesting comparison between Celebrity, NCL and Costa... In the end Celebrity lost a customer booking simply due to all late changes, Cruise Critic posts, pricing etc.  

10 hours ago, Mississippian said:

I am going to get flamed for this, and before I say another word I will say my older brother absolutely loves NCL. But for my tastes, Celebrity is head and shoulders better. Of course, money is important, and NCL has had a lot of cruises with no single supplement and relatively low prices, but if the cruises with drink package were the exact same price I think you would be nuts to choose NCL over Celebrity. Just my view. 

Let me help you shade any expected heat for your opinion.  I agree.  All other things being equal, I would pick Celebrity over NCL.  Of course, all other things are never equal, so while we have over three dozen cruises with NCL, our cruise with Celebrity a month from now will only be our fourth with them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, breadandbutter said:

This is a bit off topic, but have you considered a smaller ultra luxury cruise? 

For the approx price of Haven you could be on seabourn for instance. 

Just a thought,  we love seabourn. 

In all frankness, I book Haven Suites for less than $5K/cabin....usually much less.  I've yet been able to find ANY Oceania, Seabourn, etc sailing remotely close to that.  Closest I've come was about $8K.

• Like 1

@DoubleEntry

11 Celebrity cruises in the last 10 years; 5 NCL in the last 4 years. (40 total in 20 years)

Just got off Celebrity Beyond 2 weeks ago; sailing NCL Prima 2 weeks from Friday!

First: I find mainstream cruise lines to be more alike than different.

We find difference more between ships & each individual cruise--anything can happen!

I generally put Celebrity at the top, but they are pricing us out unfortunately, especially of our beloved Eclass. 

RCCL & Carnival are as well--once you add drink package & internet, they are just as expensive.

Princess is pushing from 2nd to 1st due to best value w/ Princess Plus (tips, unlimited internet & drink package--plus a few other fairly worthless perks-- for only $60pp/day.

THAT BEING SAID...

NCL has very good speciality dining & production shows (but for how long?) as well as fun trivia & gameshows. MDR is solid, buffet is "meh".

Breakaway/+ ships have Waterfront (bars/restaurants/open seating out on deck 8)--EVERY ship should have this! 

Some ships have Syd Normans. If you are into 70s-80s hits, this is not to to be missed! (and, yes, you must get it line up to an hour early, AND IT'S WORTH IT)

Pricing some intineraries for next fall, NCL is winning the price game, hands down.

(and this is on Breakaway or better ships).

@graphicguy & I have similar views on Celebrity v NCL...well, cruising in general.

I highly respect his thoughts as they are spot on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chewsifer1220 said:

The solo meet up is the only reason I plan on reading the dailies lol  I'll probably go once just to see what's happening otherwise I'll keep to myself and enjoy my cruise! Appreciate all the advice! 

Funny you mention solo cruises.  Just saw this on the NCL site...

"Traveling Solo? We are more than doubling the capacity of solo accommodations across our fleet. Beginning January 2024, there will be Solo Inside , Solo Oceanview and Solo Balcony staterooms with solo traveler pricing that is less than a traditional double occupancy room."

3 hours ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Been looking at the pricing of Celebrity and RCCL and have noticed a significant price increase without adding anything to the cost then the name branding.

We are seasoned cruisers,  and looked at trying a different line then our regular, Carnival, have been on RCCL and it was a great cruise it just didn't have a fun vibe.

Was seriously considering Celebrity until I was on the NCL looking at the pricing, mock booked a balcony room, logged off. Then I am not kidding you, less then 10 minutes I get a call from NCL to see if they can help finish the booking. I explained I was price comparing, he asked how they did in that category. 

I told him both were very comparable with NCL being a bit cheaper.

He went to explain the FAS, BOGO Air, half off deposits, I was floored they even called.

Something we all do is not include all the extras, Air, adults drinks etc as this increases the total cost.

Well we are booked for our first NCL in August, Breakaway and are excited to cruise with them...

Sure, most lines are simular but different enough to make a difference. 

The NCL guy was so helpful and even placed a hold for us so I can continue to research.

He made all the difference and can't wait to give NCL a try an, see if it will be our new go too...

That's called aggressive marketing, my friend. It's all about making the sale.

I have cruised with NCL a few times over many years and booked on another leaving in 2 weeks.

A few days ago I was playing around with a mock booking that required me to put in some ID info to get the pricing. The next day I got that same call about finishing the booking. Their system also sends out emails for the same -  suggesting that you finish your booking.

Just business.

7 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

That's called aggressive marketing, my friend. It's all about making the sale.

I have cruised with NCL a few times over many years and booked on another leaving in 2 weeks.

A few days ago I was playing around with a mock booking that required me to put in some ID info to get the pricing. The next day I got that same call about finishing the booking. Their system also sends out emails for the same -  suggesting that you finish your booking.

Just business.

True but NO other line that I have tried has called me...

Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, HAL...

So I can appreciate this...😉

5 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

True but NO other line that I have tried has called me...

Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, HAL...

So I can appreciate this...😉

Only because you had an interest.

If I received a follow up call every time I did a mock booking I'd soon grow to hate them.

Fortunately, i do most of those through my TA's website, so NCL does not see it.

25 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

If I received a follow up call every time I did a mock booking I'd soon grow to hate them.

Fortunately, i do most of those through my TA's website, so NCL does not see it.

Well that is you and I do appreciate it, it you don't want them calling you just put a fake number in the 411...😉

TA they are still around???🤣

1 hour ago, cruiser2015 said:

I've mostly experienced that when NCL has assigned a PCC to me and they are having a slow day.  After not answering a few times, they generally lose interest and go away.

The perception expressed by some here that NCL is a "budget" or value cruise line that is cheaper than other lines is a bit surprising to me.  I watch a good amount of cruise content on YouTube and there is a lot of bellyaching that NCL is expensive and has raised prices too much. There are also complaints that NCL "nickel and dimes" you too much once you're onboard. I have no opinion,  I have only been on one cruise and it was NCL, and I felt it was a good value.

However,  NCL does feel a bit expensive to me when I've comparison shopped price with say,  MSC and Carnival. I consider those the budget cruise lines.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've mostly experienced that when NCL has assigned a PCC to me and they are having a slow day.  After not answering a few times, they generally lose interest and go away.

The funny thing was I put my cell # in the form and they used that for the contact.

Figuring it was about my upcoming cruise, I picked up...and for a few seconds I'm thinking "complete what?". After I explained I really wasn't going to book anything, he basically wanted to be my PCC  - told me to call him as I now had his number.

On 12/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, DoubleEntry said:

Hi and thanks for reading this.  We're a couple of seniors in our 70's but active.  We have about 35 cruises under our belt and most of the on Celebrity.  None on NCL. 

We're tired of X and their nonsense over the last couple of years and are wanting to try something different.  We usually sail Concierge or better on X and our favorite spot is the cafe Al Bacio.  My question is kind of basic.  What do I need to know when booking NCL.  They offer free drinks, wi-fi etc., but no mention of tips.  Are there other little things you seasoned cruisers know about that might be of help?

Thanks, and look forward to your help.  Drinks on me. 🙂 

Jeff

We sail on Celebrity and NCL quite a bit. We are about your age. The nearest cabin type to the Celeb Concierge cabins is the "Club Balcony Suite" cabins on NCL, IMO and based on our experience on the NCL Breakaway for the last few years. Balconies in general on NCL are much, much smaller. However, the cabins are nice on both. The "perks" packages between Celeb and NCL are vastly different. Celeb's includes much more and has always included gratuities on those beverage, etc, packages. Often the price for NCL does NOT include the grats on the specialty meals  and beverage packages - and those can be very expensive. And of course NCL's daily "cabin etc" gratuities are the highest in the industry. Cabin service and similar items usually cost more on NCL also, although I suspect Celeb will also offer the "more for less" that all the cruise lines are offering now. It's hard for them not to do so when their ships are sailing near 100% capacity. Demographics are better on Celebrity IMO with less unruly young people and kids. But then I am an old curmudgeon!😁

Hope you enjoy NCL, I'm sure you will in spite of the differences between it and Celebrity. We sail NCL often because they sail from a port to which we can drive (NOLA). We would prefer Celebrity or Princess, but alas, only NCL and Carnival and RCI <fall only> sail from NOLA.

Doug

• Like 2