Do I need to carry my passport when getting off a cruise ship (on an overnight stop) in Istanbul?

I know cruise passengers are granted exemption to the e-Visa as I am only staying during the duration of the stop.  Am I correct to assume I need to go through Turkish passport control upon arrival, and therefore would by default have to keep my passport with me while touring the city?  I am arriving Jun 19, 2024 and my ship does not leave until the next day.  So how does multiple ship-shore-ship work with passport control?  First time in Turkey so forgive my ignorance.

On multiple visits to Istanbul we have never had to deal with any Passport control.  Once our ship has been cleared, folks were free to come and go as they please.  That being said, we are talking about Turkey and a government that can be unpredictable.  But not to worry because your ship will advise passengers of what they require to go ashore.  

For the record, we have never carried our Passports in Istanbul...leaving them locked in our cabin or hotel safe.  Also keep in mind that pick-pockets are alive and well in Istanbul, so always take reasonable precautions to secure your valuables.

Hank

• Like 2

I was in Istanbul in October 2023, so fairly recent.

Clearance is done behind the scenes, no need for a face-to-face meeting or clearance process upon leaving the ship.

I do not recall being told to carry my passport. It's possible the ship was holding them -- they held them during at least part of the itinerary for this cruise. 

At any rate, I agree with @Hlitner that the ship will advise whether you need to carry them or not. Just pay careful attention to the port information on your daily, your cabin TV, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that we will be sailing from Athens so just wondering if we arrive at Istanbul would we be considered to have left the EU?  Our last 2 stops before heading back to Athens is Santorini and Mykonos, so really do I need to go through passport control when we disembark in Athens?  Sorry newbie to European cruising...

On 12/26/2023 at 3:35 AM, 7x5090g said:

I know cruise passengers are granted exemption to the e-Visa as I am only staying during the duration of the stop.  Am I correct to assume I need to go through Turkish passport control upon arrival, and therefore would by default have to keep my passport with me while touring the city?  I am arriving Jun 19, 2024 and my ship does not leave until the next day.  So how does multiple ship-shore-ship work with passport control?  First time in Turkey so forgive my ignorance.

A quick heads-up if applicable, Andy.

Yes, passengers arriving and departing by ship are exempt from the visa requirement - but that applies only if you lodge overnight on the ship. If you lodge ashore you need the visa.

When we flew into Istanbul a few days early, getting the e-visa on-line was cheap & easy I don't recall whether my hotel required sight of my passport or visa.

Great city, BTW

JB 🙂

On 1/10/2024 at 10:33 AM, John Bull said:

A quick heads-up if applicable, Andy.

Yes, passengers arriving and departing by ship are exempt from the visa requirement - but that applies only if you lodge overnight on the ship. If you lodge ashore you need the visa.

When we flew into Istanbul a few days early, getting the e-visa on-line was cheap & easy I don't recall whether my hotel required sight of my passport or visa.

Great city, BTW

JB 🙂

Thanks for the heads up.  No I am not planning on lodging on land.   My "hotel" is already paid for 😛

• Like 1

We have never carried our Passports in Istanbul (they are either locked in our cabin safe or hotel safe).  Keep in mind that Istanbul has more than its share of pickpockets, so be very careful how you carry anything of value.

Hank