Proof of travel insurance required for New Caledonia?

KKB

Ok…on another social media site people from my upcoming New Caledonia cruise are saying we need proof of travel insurance with a COVID rider.

My travel insurance is thru Chase Sapphire Reserve (I use it to pay for all travel).

I imagine I can print that off.

How do I go about getting insurance JUST for COVID?

On 12/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, KKB said:

Ok…on another social media site people from my upcoming New Caledonia cruise are saying we need proof of travel insurance with a COVID rider.

My travel insurance is thru Chase Sapphire Reserve (I use it to pay for all travel).

I believe the Sapphire Reserve has very little medical coverage (if any). We have the card, too, but I am not up to calling up the plan tonight. But you should...

It sounds like New Caledonia wants you to have MEDICAL trip insurance (including COVID coverage). We have three 35-day cruises planned for 2024, and will be buying the GeoBlue Trekker Choice plan before the first one. Because my husband is over 67yo, it will cost $460 for one year for both of us. Do note that no single trip can be over 70 days.

Their coverage of COVID is that it is just like any other illness:

"Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not subject to the above exception and are covered as any other Injury or Illness. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining (confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan." (underline mine)

Cruise Critic has an insurance board, with a broker (Steve) who answers most questions quite promptly. OR you can bop over to the tripInsurancestore.com and request a personal recommendation:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-email-contact-form/?

If you acquire a GeoBlue plan through their link, they get a stipend, but it costs you nothing!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I believe the Sapphire Reserve has very little medical coverage (if any). We have the card, too, but I am not up to calling up the plan tonight. But you should...

It sounds like New Caledonia wants you to have MEDICAL trip insurance (including COVID coverage). We have three 35-day cruises planned for 2024, and will be buying the GeoBlue Trekker Choice plan before the first one. Because my husband is over 67yo, it will cost $460 for one year for both of us. Do note that no single trip can be over 70 days.

Their coverage of COVID is that it is just like any other illness:

"Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not subject to the above exception and are covered as any other Injury or Illness. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining (confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan." (underline mine)

Cruise Critic has an insurance board, with a broker (Steve) who answers most questions quite promptly. OR you can bop over to the tripInsurancestore.com and request a personal recommendation:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-email-contact-form/?

If you acquire a GeoBlue plan through their link, they get a stipend, but it costs you nothing!

The oddest thing--I have not seen one thing from Carnival (email) mentioning this New Caldonia insurance need.

Someone posted a link from Carnival site elsewhere...it is BURIED on the site.

If one does't THOROUGHLY read everything on their site (including every link), or know that it is there to find, most people are NOT finding it.

We got Reserve for the MedEvac insurance after a cousin needed that while in the Caribbean!

Edited by KKB

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2023 at 7:31 PM, KKB said:

I am also interested in finding coverage for COVID for our Carnival Luminosa cruise to New Caledonia in February, 2025.  We have a yearly Allainz policy, but am not sure if it is sufficient for visiting New Caledonia.  We are flying from Fairbanks to Brisbane for B2B cruises, with the second one going to New Caledonia and I don't want to get kicked off after the first 7 night cruise.  Looking over Carnival's policy details, I do NOT see COVID mentioned anywhere.  

7 minutes ago, Taters said:

I am also interested in finding coverage for COVID for our Carnival Luminosa cruise to New Caledonia in February, 2025.  We have a yearly Allainz policy, but am not sure if it is sufficient for visiting New Caledonia.  We are flying from Fairbanks to Brisbane for B2B cruises, with the second one going to New Caledonia and I don't want to get kicked off after the first 7 night cruise.  Looking over Carnival's policy details, I do NOT see COVID mentioned anywhere.  

I got IMG/Squaremouth I found via a Forbes link.

$40 (no airfare—it was points), shows COVID coverage.

Annoying. Did NOT need it.

i could have cancelled everything today & got refunds/credit for everything but $100.

I charge all travel to Chase Sapphire Reserve because of the travel insurance & our med insurance covers overseas. 
But whatever…

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KKB said:

I got IMG/Squaremouth I found via a Forbes link.

$40 (no airfare—it was points), shows COVID coverage.

Annoying. Did NOT need it.

i could have cancelled everything today & got refunds/credit for everything but $100.

I charge all travel to Chase Sapphire Reserve because of the travel insurance & our med insurance covers overseas. 
But whatever…

What do you mean when you say you didn't need the insurance?  Did they not ask for the paperwork when you checked in for your cruise?

22 hours ago, Taters said:

What do you mean when you say you didn't need the insurance?  Did they not ask for the paperwork when you checked in for your cruise?

I don’t need travel insurance…I have it.

But it doesn’t have the verbiage New Caledonia wants so I had to get more to meet their “needs”

An odd requirement

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I saw this thread when I was in the South Pacific area trying to find information on excursions

we are going to Nee Caledonia in December 2024 for a one day stop. NCL hasn’t told us anything about insurance needed to visit there. They have sent us information on Visas we need but no mention on insurance. 

I don’t normally buy insurance at all when we travel but for this trip I am thinking we should just because of the cost, etc. With that said where should I even start to get the right coverage?

Thanks

I already have a one year multi trip travel insurance for the whole world.

It includes Covid, but it doesn't mention anything about cruises.

So how much Cruise specific travel insurance should I take for 12 nights on a Carnival cruise from Sydney to New Caledonia ?

USD 50000, 150000, 250000 or 600000?