Anchorage Wingate/Alaska Railroad question...

rmzlvacationers

Husband and I are on the Radiance of the Seas this August. Flying into Anchorage on Thursday, spending the night at Wingate by Wyndham on Ship Creek Ave. I have read that the Alaska Railroad is very walkable from hotel, however, we have to be at the train station by 5:45am. Is this an ok area to walk this early in the morning or should we try to book a taxi/uber?

Also, our flight gets in at 1:04pm.  Any suggestions for a restaurant in the area for dinner?

5 hours ago, rmzlvacationers said:

Husband and I are on the Radiance of the Seas this August. Flying into Anchorage on Thursday, spending the night at Wingate by Wyndham on Ship Creek Ave. I have read that the Alaska Railroad is very walkable from hotel, however, we have to be at the train station by 5:45am. Is this an ok area to walk this early in the morning or should we try to book a taxi/uber?

Radiance of the Seas has three departures in August 2024: 2nd, 16th, and 30th. Civil twilight and sunrise times for these three dates are, respectively, 4:32 and 5:36 a.m.; 5:19 and 6:12 a.m.; and 6:00 and 6:48 a.m. The train to Seward is scheduled to depart at 6:45 a.m., but you'll want to arrive earlier than that if you do not already have tickets in hand or if you will be checking baggage.

If you're worried about tripping and falling, as a consequence of walking in the dark before sunrise, then it may depend on both the specific date in August, and whether you really want to hang around the train station for a full hour prior to departure. But even if it should still be dark, in this area the sidewalks are in fairly good repair, the street lights are decent, and there would not be much risk of tripping or falling.

Not only will you find it safe to walk, but the hotel also offers a free shuttle to the depot (at least it did last year!).

Lots of great places to eat in Anchorage that are within walking distance of the hotel.  It is an uphill walk to downtown though.  We usually walk to dinner and then Uber back.  We like the Glacier Brewhouse, Humpy’s, Simon & Seafort and the 49th State Brewery name a few.  My recommendation is to get reservations if possible!