Do I need local currency?

LabMom57

56 minutes ago, LabMom57 said:

We have a cruise from Sydney to Auckland coming up. We will stay a few days at each end. Do we need to obtain local currency for any reason or will credit cards suffice?

Thanks!

Credit or debit cards will likely be all you need. Almost every business in Australia and New Zealand accepts cards. If needed, you can easily take local currency out from an ATM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are currently on Auckland to Sydney.  I took out $100 NZ from an ATM and I spent all but $5, but really didn’t need cash.  I didn’t need cash in Hobart and I don’t plan on getting any AUS $ for four full land days remaining.  

Keep in mind that it is legal here for the merchant to charge you the merchant fee passing on charges that in North America merchants absorb.  I don’t think this applies if using a debit card 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Keep in mind that it is legal here for the merchant to charge you the merchant fee passing on charges that in North America merchants absorb.  I don’t think this applies if using a debit card 

To prevent the merchant fee charge, the card needs to be inserted into the machine, "savings" or "cheque" selected and then a PIN. As most US cards don't have PIN's it would have to be tapped and the fee is then charged (but only if advertised as being charged).

A small amount of cash, say $50, is handy in case there is an interruption to the EFTPOS terminals, which is not all that rare.

• Thanks 1

I would get maybe $50 in cash for small incidental purchases - market stalls and such that sometimes dont take card or have a minimum card spend.

or in case of EFTPOS malfunctions in power cuts etc

I would probably get it  in notes smaller than  a $50 note - most places that you might do small spends won't want to change $50.

$20 notes or smaller would be ok anywhere.

• Thanks 2