Christmas cruise on Freedom, A lot to process!

cbringdrvr

On 12/29/2023 at 2:47 PM, Stick93 said:

Clientele on Carnival has most definitely gone down.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Several commenters mention "clientele has gone down" but that's such a vague statement it's practically meaningless, especially when many of us on this very board are "clientele" of carnival.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notscb said:

Did you miss the fight onboard a royal ship last week?

For how many cruises sail without problem, there are bound to be cruises with issues- especially during peek travel times. I've sailed Carnival plenty of times with exactly zero incident onboard. It's luck of the draw for any ship where you pack in 2,000 of your newest closest friends.

Nice whataboutism. I'm sure it was discussed on the Royal forum. 

12 minutes ago, notscb said:

Did you miss the fight onboard a royal ship last week?

For how many cruises sail without problem, there are bound to be cruises with issues- especially during peek travel times. I've sailed Carnival plenty of times with exactly zero incident onboard. It's luck of the draw for any ship where you pack in 2,000 of your newest closest friends.

Your point is well taken.  Cruises during holiday times, esp with new cruises have issue.  Now a days, all cruise lines have issues, ALL cruise lines,  To suggest Carnival is an anomaly is pure folly.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Sorry you had a horrible cruise.  Nobody should ever feel threatened, on a cruise ship or anywhere.  I am sure you addressed it while on board.  Curious as to what GS response was.  Can you elaborate?  Not trying to cast blame, but seems the cabin issue was all on you, did I miss something?

I agree that the fact that I did not notice a cabin change on my booking after the price was adjusted is my fault.  However nothing was ever said to me by my PVP that I would have to change cabins in order to receive a price reduction.  I did a ghost booking on Black Friday and saw that the price had gone down for the same class of cabin that I had originally booked, also on same deck as originally booked.  I called to see if I could get a price adjustment on my original booking and was told I could.  He changed my cabin without informing me.  That was not something I would have ever agreed to just to save a few hundred dollars.

Just now, mz-s said:

I am harsh but that is because I remember what Carnival is capable of and I think it's fair to continue to expect that standard.

I think we all hold cruise lines to high expectations and standards, however categorizing fighting as "week in and week out" is hyperbole at best.

This cruise specifically was likely max-capacity due to the holiday, plus only a 5 night (and we all know what 5 night or less cruises really are for). Things happen, but definitely not every week.

It's cruise critic, but we can be fair in our assessments.

Just got off the 8 day Dream Christmas cruise. Sadly, I witnessed several behavior incidents from teens on this cruise as well. Spitting on other guests in the atrium, stealing/destroying door decorations and sexually harassing young (preteen?) girls. That's just what I personally saw. I did speak up for the young girls and told those punks to leave them alone. The FB group has many other people relating incidents but I'm only speaking of what I saw. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, notscb said:

I think we all hold cruise lines to high expectations and standards, however categorizing fighting as "week in and week out" is hyperbole at best.

This cruise specifically was likely max-capacity due to the holiday, plus only a 5 night (and we all know what 5 night or less cruises really are for). Things happen, but definitely not every week.

It's cruise critic, but we can be fair in our assessments.

OP discussed fighting and communicated threats last week on Freedom, I relayed reports of the same this week on Celebration. That literally is week in and week out.

Just because it isn't on Inside Edition every night doesn't mean it isn't happening all the time. It's on Tiktok all the time - and yes it happens on Royal and at your local Walmart etc too. But this is a Carnival forum so that's what we discuss here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

doesn't mean it isn't happening all the time.

Again, asserting that it's happening "all the time" is the problem. It's not happening all the time. I'm on tiktok and just searched for "carnival fight"- guess how many results (that weren't the same incident)- less than a handful.

Put Carnival down where we need to, but implying that the fighting is a chronic, every single week regular occurrence onboard just isn't factually based.

Edited by notscb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cbringdrvr said:

I agree that the fact that I did not notice a cabin change on my booking after the price was adjusted is my fault.  However nothing was ever said to me by my PVP that I would have to change cabins in order to receive a price reduction.  I did a ghost booking on Black Friday and saw that the price had gone down for the same class of cabin that I had originally booked, also on same deck as originally booked.  I called to see if I could get a price adjustment on my original booking and was told I could.  He changed my cabin without informing me.  That was not something I would have ever agreed to just to save a few hundred dollars.

I do not disagree that the PVP has a little stake in the game.  My point was it was def not Carnival’s problem.  It was your vacation, I get that it and it seems to have soured the remainder (outside looking in) but a half of cup of water is both half fiull and half empty.  Again, sorry your cruise did not met expectations.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, notscb said:

Again, asserting that it's happening "all the time" is the problem. It's not happening all the time. I'm on tiktok and just searched for "carnival fight"- guess how many results (that weren't the same incident)- less than a handful.

Put Carnival down where we need to, but implying that the fighting is a chronic, every single week regular occurrence onboard just isn't factually based.

Yup

• Like 2

6 hours ago, notscb said:

I'm curious what you mean by this. Several commenters mention "clientele has gone down" but that's such a vague statement it's practically meaningless, especially when many of us on this very board are "clientele" of carnival.

It’s a nice way to speak of the diversity and socioeconomic of the carnival cruiser. Diversity is probably greatest on carnival and most of their passengers share a common goal of a safe, pleasant atmosphere and being respectful of other passengers. However with some of their lower fares and what people believe to be a party ship come “riff raff” in all forms that carnival is doing a very poor job in many instances keeping their other passengers feeling safe. I saw this first hand when the did next to nothing to help me when I was almost physically hurt and have watched others in similar situations on Carnival. I have not had this or come close to this on other cruise lines but maybe I was just unlucky to be on the wrong carnival sailings (multiple). 

Edited by Stick93
  • Like 3

We might have stopped after number forty-one on Carnival. The first was the Mardi Gras in 1976 and the Breeze in 2022 was the last. Most of those were from here in Galveston with many 4-5 day trips.
 The common denominator for what you describe is shorter trips, school being out or summer sailings. My wife and I are fans of Conquest Class ships, having sailed on all of them from here, Boston and Miami. The Breeze was once a step up, but it had declined into a 110 decibel hip-hop party on Jasper Wades watch. It is hard to have an appetite for a Guys Burger with a crowd grinding on each other poolside. Hard pass.. The adherence to priority lines at Guest Services were also long gone, people saving entire rows of seats in the theater, and a few more annoyances. So what to do?
 We went back to Royal for cruise number seven with them on the Quantum to Alaska in June. The price was about 25% higher than a seven day from Miami on Carnival, and about the same as Carnival from Seattle to Alaska. The results were night and day. This was our first cruise since the Freedom of the Seas in 2012 and we were wowed. The ship itself is a destination. The newer Carnival ships offer the same, and the Jubilee looks amazing.
 Post-Covid cruises are back full, and lower price points are there for the looking. If you believe (and I do) that they attract a more rowdy crowd then it is up to the cruise lines to police the problem. Don't hold your breath.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 2

meh, comments range both ways.  Some say Carnival is over priced (compared to the competition).  Prices for the most part are not going down.  Is the crowd different?  I have seen nothing to suggest meaningful changes.  For me (and it is not just cruising), life as we know it has changed.  Society is reacting to what has been hammered down on them (you all can decide what these variables are that did it.).

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, notscb said:

If this were happening on nearly every voyage, you'd know about it.

It's not. Plain and simple. You're wrong.

You saying that doesn't make it true. Carnival ships aren't Omaha beach but it is no secret they're having huge issues with violence, drugs, and overall unruly behavior fleetwide. There's a new thread on here every week or so discussing someone's bad experience. Some of them are past Carnival "Cheerleaders".

You don't have to believe me, but I hope that you take it seriously.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, notscb said:

If this were happening on nearly every voyage, you'd know about it.

It's not. Plain and simple. You're wrong.

It IS getting to be too common of an occurrence on Carnival. We have a 5 day scheduled in April. Most of our 17 cruises have been 5 days. A 5 day cruise always worked best for us with our PTO allowances.

If our April cruise has any issues that detract from our enjoyment we will be switching back to other lines.

Just an "FYI", if you need any reference to what is going on just go to YouTube and search " Carnival fight". It's an eye opener. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Oletruckdude said:

It IS getting to be too common of an occurrence on Carnival. We have a 5 day scheduled in April. Most of our 17 cruises have been 5 days. A 5 day cruise always worked best for us with our PTO allowances.

If our April cruise has any issues that detract from our enjoyment we will be switching back to other lines.

Just an "FYI", if you need any reference to what is going on just go to YouTube and search " Carnival fight". It's an eye opener. 

I agree. I refuse to play ostrich about this. We can pretend that we're still in 2020 and bacon is hard to get if that helps us cope with Carnival's bacon crisis. But when it comes to safety - nope. There are people on this board who are active members who have been assaulted - more than one - so it needs to be brought to light.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I agree. I refuse to play ostrich about this. We can pretend that we're still in 2020 and bacon is hard to get if that helps us cope with Carnival's bacon crisis. But when it comes to safety - nope. There are people on this board who are active members who have been assaulted - more than one - so it needs to be brought to light.

Even if it isn't more prevalent on Carnival it is the public perception that it is.  When researching choices for our first cruise experience this was the theme we saw over and over.   If it weren't for other friends and family encouraging us to try Carnival we wouldn't be, at least not yet.  I can take the lack of omelets and bacon in stride but I'm not interested in parting with my hard earned dollars to have to walk on eggshells, or worse have to fear that my teen daughter won't feel safe.  I'm well aware that these issues aren't representative of every Carnival cruise and as of yet the line isn't struggling to fill rooms but I don't think it is wise to let their image problem get out of hand. 

My buddy just got off Panorama's holiday cruise and had zero issues so there's that.  😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

Even if it isn't more prevalent on Carnival it is the public perception that it is.  When researching choices for our first cruise experience this was the theme we saw over and over.   If it weren't for other friends and family encouraging us to try Carnival we wouldn't be, at least not yet.  I can take the lack of omelets and bacon in stride but I'm not interested in parting with my hard earned dollars to have to walk on eggshells, or worse have to fear that my teen daughter won't feel safe.  I'm well aware that these issues aren't representative of every Carnival cruise and as of yet the line isn't struggling to fill rooms but I don't think it is wise to let their image problem get out of hand. 

My buddy just got off Panorama's holiday cruise and had zero issues so there's that.  😉

I don't want to overstate the issue, like I said Carnival ships aren't Omaha beach right now or anything like that. But they are having issues with unruly behavior and drugs that they seem to be unable to put a lid on. It is resulting in people getting assaulted, verbally and physically, which is unacceptable - especially on an expensive vacation.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2023 at 4:30 PM, purpleally said:

I would never ever ever cruise on carnival. While I realize there is a price point I would rather spend a LOT more and cruise on more civilized lines such as Seabourn and Regent. No kids either. Maybe one or two

On 12/30/2023 at 9:18 AM, purpleally said:

No kids. Too expensive and nothing for them to do

Not sure how this is relevant or meaningful in a Carnival forum- but okay.  More rooms for the rest of us that enjoy Carnival.  

OP- it is a shame your cruise seems to have been more stressful than enjoyable.  We were cruising 

for a couple of weeks around Thanksgiving, and it was wonderful and relaxing.  But on a 15 day cruise we didn't have a lot of teenagers so it was a more sedate crowd.  

We have cruised at Christmas and it is always packed to the gills and full of kids of all ages.  Teens roving in groups is not new, nor is their tendency to block up doorways or stairwells.  Pre-teens seem to be increasingly given free reign to roam on cruises, and they are LOUD, but harmless.  There is simply no excuse for teens wearing ski masks and threatening people.  I wouldn't be afraid of them, but I would be mad and make a scene.

I agree the Main dining room can be particularly slow and unorganized at times.  Not always- sometimes they are super efficient. But on elegant nights and Christmas or Thanksgiving dinners- things can bog down.  I like the food in the main dining room but I certainly believe you when you say you had items at meals you thought were awful.  I have always found the wait staff to be very helpful about getting something else in those circumstances.   99% of the staff work very hard to make us happy- but they definitely are spread a lot thinner in the dining room than they were pre-covid. 

I have absolutely witnessed a fight here and there on Carnival over the years.  In my personal experience it has been drunk old dudes causing trouble.  I saw this pre-covid and I've seen it post covid.  Security staff is more inclined to try to sweet talk them than strong arm them.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I have witnessed a couple of middle aged women carrying on at each other on the Lido deck, but it didn't come to blows.   I agree with Jimbo that for a multitude of reasons there has been an increase in bad public behavior by people (all different kinds of people) in recent years.  

I do not feel unsafe on Carnival.  There is weed- yeah.  It happens.  There is weed everywhere these days.  I don't care for the strong smell, but I am getting older and there are a lot of smells I don't like much anymore.  🙂   But really- the drug dogs missing or catching a bag of gummies isn't making a difference to my cruise.  I guess it gives people something to complain about other than rum runners or booze bladders.  

• Like 2

Wow, we were on the same cruise (family of 12) and thought it was awesome. (BTW, this was our 35th cruise, most, not all on Carnival, so yes we have a lot to compare to). We enjoyed the food, had GREAT service in the dining room and thought overall it was an awesome trip. We discussed it and all agreed it was definitely one of the better ones we have ever had. The staff everywhere was over the top friendly as were most of the passengers. Were some rude? Yes again, but agin...society...

I did hear about an occurrence on the Lido deck one night, but unfortunately that is now a product of our society (read the news). We did see a lot of security throughout the ship, but they cannot be everywhere. 

Were there disappointing things? Yes, but there always are, we choose not to let them spoil our vacations. Not meaning to be judgmental, but did you just let the cabin issue (PVP didn't ask what cabin you wanted?, was it a guarantee cabin?) magnify some of the other things that happened? 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChrisToni said:

Wow, we were on the same cruise (family of 12) and thought it was awesome. (BTW, this was our 35th cruise, most, not all on Carnival, so yes we have a lot to compare to). We enjoyed the food, had GREAT service in the dining room and thought overall it was an awesome trip. We discussed it and all agreed it was definitely one of the better ones we have ever had. The staff everywhere was over the top friendly as were most of the passengers. Were some rude? Yes again, but agin...society...

I did hear about an occurrence on the Lido deck one night, but unfortunately that is now a product of our society (read the news). We did see a lot of security throughout the ship, but they cannot be everywhere. 

Were there disappointing things? Yes, but there always are, we choose not to let them spoil our vacations. Not meaning to be judgmental, but did you just let the cabin issue (PVP didn't ask what cabin you wanted?, was it a guarantee cabin?) magnify some of the other things that happened? 

Seems like a reasonable question.

• Like 1