Using a rollator on and off the cruise ship.

shadow 123

This year, for the 1st time on a cruise ,I took a rollator. I found it very difficult  maneuvering in and out of my state room. Also in the buffet It was really awkward .......... Here's my question. Does anyone know of easier ways to get around with a rollator?  Getting in and out of my state room , how to maneuver the buffet .What about getting on and off tenders ?Is that a problem? I was afraid to do tenders  on my last trip and I feel because of that  I missed out on a lot.

I travel solo so I really had no 1 to help.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by shadow 123

I have two rollators. For travel I use the ABLE space saver rollator from Amazon. It’s amazing for travel. It has a seat and four wheels. It folds in half to the size of a big umbrella. I am able to bring it aboard the plane and store in the overhead compartment. For getting through door ways it narrows.  For buffet I use the seat to balance dishes albeit with a hand to steady them. But the seat bears the weight of the dish. When I use a wheelchair in the airport, I fold the rollator and balance it across the arm rests of the wheelchair. There are two heights available. I am 5 ft and got the regular height. But it is definitely adjustable. Good luck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Desert Steve said:

I have two rollators. For travel I use the ABLE space saver rollator from Amazon. It’s amazing for travel. It has a seat and four wheels. It folds in half to the size of a big umbrella. I am able to bring it aboard the plane and store in the overhead compartment. For getting through door ways it narrows.  For buffet I use the seat to balance dishes albeit with a hand to steady them. But the seat bears the weight of the dish. When I use a wheelchair in the airport, I fold the rollator and balance it across the arm rests of the wheelchair. There are two heights available. I am 5 ft and got the regular height. But it is definitely adjustable. Good luck

Thank you

On 12/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, Desert Steve said:

For buffet I use the seat to balance dishes albeit with a hand to steady them. But the seat bears the weight of the dish.

My late husband used his rollator that way. It was also helpful for me as I didn't have to carry around two plates.

We also booked wheelchair accessible cabins. Same price but they sell out early.

For getting on and off the ship, they put him in a wheelchair and I brought the rollator down.

When he first got the rollator, it took a few months to figure out what worked best for him.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have firsthand hand experience, but lots of observation on trips when considering whether a cruise would work for my parents, then in their 80s.  They would have loved it as a 3 generation family holiday, I just knew that there were physical aspects we could not overcome.  For me the main issue was opening the cabin door. 

I know that mum with weak arms and a frozen shoulder could not have opened either into or out of the cabin.  Those doors are HEAVY.  I have put thought to how I would cope when older. Im still not sure.  

There are narrower versions of rollators that are designed for use inside - but I can see that taking two rollators on a cruise is not really an option.  On NCL I have seen the doors wedged open by the stateroom attendants with a plastic triangle.  Are you mobile enough to use one whilst you are getting the rollator through the door? Maybe someone else can tell us if the accessible cabins have doors that will stay open for long enough to walk through, like a push button system.  

I think I would avoid the buffet in favor of dining rooms at mealtimes which means you have a waiter carrying your food.  Just use the designated accessible area in the buffet when you do go for an afternoon tea or late evening drink.  If it is quiet (on N CL at least) if a member of staff is around they would help you carry your cup.  You do need to ask for help sometimes.  

Don't avoid the tenders! I have seen people take mobility aids on them.   It is probably also best to ask about long and steep walks on the ports of call boards in case you won’t be able to cope ashore eg if there are long walks to any tourist sites.  Also consider doing a ship  tour.     Even if you make your reservations online, once on board (and after the first day rush) go to the tour desk and ask about any hurdles you may encounter in the tender process.  With enough notice you can always cancel.  

Although you are traveling solo, don’t think to yourself that you are traveling alone.  There are always other passengers and staff around that would love to help if you ask.  Seriously people do like to help, there is a bit of a feelgood factor when you help out.

may you continue cruising for many years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I do not have firsthand hand experience, but lots of observation on trips when considering whether a cruise would work for my parents, then in their 80s.  They would have loved it as a 3 generation family holiday, I just knew that there were physical aspects we could not overcome.  For me the main issue was opening the cabin door. 

I know that mum with weak arms and a frozen shoulder could not have opened either into or out of the cabin.  Those doors are HEAVY.  I have put thought to how I would cope when older. Im still not sure.  

There are narrower versions of rollators that are designed for use inside - but I can see that taking two rollators on a cruise is not really an option.  On NCL I have seen the doors wedged open by the stateroom attendants with a plastic triangle.  Are you mobile enough to use one whilst you are getting the rollator through the door? Maybe someone else can tell us if the accessible cabins have doors that will stay open for long enough to walk through, like a push button system.  

I think I would avoid the buffet in favor of dining rooms at mealtimes which means you have a waiter carrying your food.  Just use the designated accessible area in the buffet when you do go for an afternoon tea or late evening drink.  If it is quiet (on N CL at least) if a member of staff is around they would help you carry your cup.  You do need to ask for help sometimes.  

Don't avoid the tenders! I have seen people take mobility aids on them.   It is probably also best to ask about long and steep walks on the ports of call boards in case you won’t be able to cope ashore eg if there are long walks to any tourist sites.  Also consider doing a ship  tour.     Even if you make your reservations online, once on board (and after the first day rush) go to the tour desk and ask about any hurdles you may encounter in the tender process.  With enough notice you can always cancel.  

Although you are traveling solo, don’t think to yourself that you are traveling alone.  There are always other passengers and staff around that would love to help if you ask.  Seriously people do like to help, there is a bit of a feelgood factor when you help out.

may you continue cruising for many years 

Thank you. Very encouraging

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 8:28 AM, shadow 123 said:

This year, for the 1st time on a cruise ,I took a rollator. I found it very difficult  maneuvering in and out of my state room. Also in the buffet It was really awkward .......... Here's my question. Does anyone know of easier ways to get around with a rollator?  Getting in and out of my state room , how to maneuver the buffet .What about getting on and off tenders ?Is that a problem? I was afraid to do tenders  on my last trip and I feel because of that  I missed out on a lot.

Getting in and out of your stateroom:   If you have an accessible stateroom, many ships have automatic room doors that open when you push a button.  I know for a fact that Celebrity has automatic doors for their suites.   I believe the automatic doors on cruise lines would only be available for accessible staterooms.  If this would be of interest to you, you could ask your cruise line's Access Dept if any of their accessible staterooms have automatic doors.

Also check out the Wedge-it device (Amazon has them).   I've never used one but if you're interested you might post a new question on this board asking if anyone has used one for their stateroom door.  And any other tricks passengers have used to prop open their door to get their mobility device through. 

The buffet:   Does your rollator have a seat?   I've seen many passengers use the seat of their rollator to set their plate on and then put items on their plate as they walk around to the various food stations in the buffet. 

Tenders:   Many passengers with rollators use the tenders.  But it really depends on the port and the sea conditions and type of tender.  Generally, if you can walk a few steps, you can go.  The ship personnel and tender personnel are there to assist.   They especially assist passengers who might need a little extra help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Hall said:

Sorry for the personal question, but do you guys struggle to finds things to do ashore now that your mobility is limited? I know we certainly do!

It bothers   me when on some excursions even though they listed as easy they don't accept any mobility devices. A lot of times we're on school buses..... Also, as I mentioned in another thread , I find it difficult to maneuver it in the dining areas especially The buffet. I find it easier to use on

shore. As long as the street is smooth I think it's fine.

I only use the rollator once so Perhaps as time goes on I'll get used to it

11 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

It bothers   me when on some excursions even though they listed as easy they don't accept any mobility devices. A lot of times we're on school buses..... Also, as I mentioned in another thread , I find it difficult to maneuver it in the dining areas especially The buffet. I find it easier to use on

shore. As long as the street is smooth I think it's fine.

I only use the rollator once so Perhaps as time goes on I'll get used to it

I often think it would be helpful if there was a guide to each port that considered mobility issues. My wife and myself find it difficult looking ahead for each port. I am unsure if this is me being stupid and unable to work the web beforehand, or if Im not the only one...

19 minutes ago, David Hall said:

I often think it would be helpful if there was a guide to each port that considered mobility issues. My wife and myself find it difficult looking ahead for each port. I am unsure if this is me being stupid and unable to work the web beforehand, or if Im not the only one...

In my opinion you are not the only 1. My last cruise was 25 day cruise With a lot of tender ports. I missed every one of those tender ports because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it with a rollator. As I mentioned, it was the first time  I took it. Thinking back  maybe I should have asked guest services how difficult it would be to get on the tender  with a rollator. I was told by guest services you can't even get on a tram at port with a rollator

I have been trying to scour the forums for just this type of information! 

I find that the information in the regular sections for ports don’t address mobility concerns.. it would be amazing to have the ports reviewed with various accessibility concerns reviewed. 

I am booked on the sun for the Panama Canal. We have secured an accessible stateroom as both my husband and I have limited mobility. We are considering the best mobility aid options. We can walk but not too far without pain and standing is agonizing.

We have picked up some portable stools for now.. but I would prefer to rent scooter(s).. but I’d hate to rent one/two and not be able to use it for any ports..  I am having a heck of a time just finding out if the ports have accessible ports to anything? Like how far from port to get to tourist areas? 

I’d love to just roll off the ship and drive the scooter to some straw markets.. check out local architecture.. hit a beach. I don’t know how to pre-book or find out if there is any accessible taxis ect. 

There are 3-5 in our party so excursions add up fast to the point a private tour (with 5 of us) May work for our pace better and be similar price. all things I’d love to find out ahead of time.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Auralee said:

I have been trying to scour the forums for just this type of information! 

I find that the information in the regular sections for ports don’t address mobility concerns.. it would be amazing to have the ports reviewed with various accessibility concerns reviewed. 

I am booked on the sun for the Panama Canal. We have secured an accessible stateroom as both my husband and I have limited mobility. We are considering the best mobility aid options. We can walk but not too far without pain and standing is agonizing.

We have picked up some portable stools for now.. but I would prefer to rent scooter(s).. but I’d hate to rent one/two and not be able to use it for any ports..  I am having a heck of a time just finding out if the ports have accessible ports to anything? Like how far from port to get to tourist areas? 

I’d love to just roll off the ship and drive the scooter to some straw markets.. check out local architecture.. hit a beach. I don’t know how to pre-book or find out if there is any accessible taxis ect. 

There are 3-5 in our party so excursions add up fast to the point a private tour (with 5 of us) May work for our pace better and be similar price. all things I’d love to find out ahead of time.

I had forgotten about getting on tour buses.  Yes I have looked at those and thought ‘mum would not manage’ - that is not even taking going with a mobility scooter into account.  Interested to hear from Kokopelli-az about push buttons to open the doors.  Too late now for us, but ten years ago it may well have been the solution I wanted.  

I’m not sure where you are cruising, but in Europe, in your circumstances a private trip for five would be best booked ahead of time - and can be sourced online e.g by googling “ship tour to …” or some other wording.  Then you can interact with the tour guide according to your needs.  Planning ahead is the key.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 12:19 AM, Auralee said:

I’d love to just roll off the ship and drive the scooter to some straw markets.. check out local architecture.. hit a beach. I don’t know how to pre-book or find out if there is any accessible taxis

It would help to know what ports you will be stopping at.   People on this board who have been to any of those ports may be able to chime in as to a specific port. 

• Like 2

My husband and I did a Boston to Montreal cruise last May. He used his rollator easily on the ship and in all ports. It folds in the middle to get through the cabin door with no problem. He also carried his plate on the seat when in the buffet. A little harder during busy times, but we managed. We did not tender to Bar Harbor as we had been there and remembered the huge ramp from the render dock to land, then uphill walk into town. All other ports were docked. We used Tours By Locals in every port. Their tours are priced by the group, so we found a gentleman on our roll call who joined us and paid 1/3 of the cost. Some tours i noticed are charged by the number of people. Well worth having a private guide with a private vehicle. These are individual guides, you pay Tours By Locals and the guide gets paid after your tour. All guides are background checked. It was pricey for just three of us, but excellent experience! I picked the tour/guide I wanted, then emailed through the website asking if their vehicle could accomidate the rollator. I also mentioned limited walking ability so the guide arranged his tour to accomodate. Hope this helps someone else.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2024 at 6:28 AM, kokopelli-az said:

It would help to know what ports you will be stopping at.   People on this board who have been to any of those ports may be able to chime in as to a specific port. 

Sorry! Yes! Cartagena, colon, punterenas, puerto quetzal, san Juan del sur, zihuanetejo,manzanilla, Cabo san Lucas. 

any advice for mobility, excursion for low mobility, would it be worth it to have scooter? Rollator? Or many seats? How far do we walk to get to transportation? 

thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:34 AM, David Hall said:

Sorry for the personal question, but do you guys struggle to finds things to do ashore now that your mobility is limited? I know we certainly do!

I would have to say yes. Last year was the 1st time I took a rollator with me. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it did keep me from getting on the tenders  so I do feel like I lost out on a lot. Now I find my myself looking at the excursions that are accessible.. They are not many...... Some trams will not take the rollator. Some buses will not take the rollator. So yes it is more difficult for me 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 3:39 PM, Desert Steve said:

Thanks for mentioning this.  It looks like it could be handy in several situations.

Question:  Does the seat get in the way of the legs/knees?  Because it's more of a triangle instead of a cube shape, the seat can't go on "the far side".

GC

@shadow 123

I'm also a solo traveler and have learned a few things.  Initially, I rented a rollator to use on a cruise.  It did not go well for me.  In order to get it into the cabin, I had to fold it up and manhandle it into the room.  This was due to how it was designed.  The hinge made it fold like a sandwich board.  Once folded, there was no way for it to roll.  Also, by the end of the day, my shoulders were killing me.

I have since purchased my own rollator for use on cruises.  It is an upright one.  The design allows me to fold it and still be able to roll it.  Comes in handy when maneuvering in some port shops that have small aisles.  I have used the seat to carry various things on the cruise and in the airport.  I also travel with my own doorstop that goes over the hinges of the door.  This is much easier that using the usual one that you have to put on the floor.  I don't bend well.

61Fbin4KqfL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61jpTPzrm6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In regards to shore excursions, I suggest contacting the Excursions office of the cruise line that you will be using.  I did this on a previous cruise, and they were very helpful in letting me know which excursions could accommodate the rollator.  

Edited by Euby
Forgot to add additional info

4 hours ago, Euby said:

@shadow 123

I'm also a solo traveler and have learned a few things.  Initially, I rented a rollator to use on a cruise.  It did not go well for me.  In order to get it into the cabin, I had to fold it up and manhandle it into the room.  This was due to how it was designed.  The hinge made it fold like a sandwich board.  Once folded, there was no way for it to roll.  Also, by the end of the day, my shoulders were killing me.

I have since purchased my own rollator for use on cruises.  It is an upright one.  The design allows me to fold it and still be able to roll it.  Comes in handy when maneuvering in some port shops that have small aisles.  I have used the seat to carry various things on the cruise and in the airport.  I also travel with my own doorstop that goes over the hinges of the door.  This is much easier that using the usual one that you have to put on the floor.  I don't bend well.

In regards to shore excursions, I suggest contacting the Excursions office of the cruise line that you will be using.  I did this on a previous cruise, and they were very helpful in letting me know which excursions could accommodate the rollator.  

Thanks so much.

Do you have a link or brand name?  I can't quite read what is printed on the curved back.

We were just looking at the Able folding rollator mentioned above:

https://ablelifesolutions.com/product/space-saver-rollator/

For *both* of them, do the legs or knees hit the seat when walking?

That looks to be a problem, but it's hard to tell.

Has anyone here used or tried both of these?

And what about stability?

It looks like the "Able" rollator *might* (?) be a bit more stable, because the weight from the hands (and thus body) is a bit closer to the person, and also a bit more "over the back wheels", whereas the other has the weight right between the two pairs of wheels.

I don't suppose there are any suppliers who would have both in the store so one could compare?  (that's a long shot!)

It might be difficult enough to find one at a time "in person" to try before ordering...?

Thanks again!

GC

5 hours ago, Euby said:

@shadow 123

This is great information. Thank you. I also had the same problem getting the rollator out of the cabin door. I had to drag it! It was very difficult and awkward.

48 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks so much.

Do you have a link or brand name?  I can't quite read what is printed on the curved back.

We were just looking at the Able folding rollator mentioned above:

https://ablelifesolutions.com/product/space-saver-rollator/

For *both* of them, do the legs or knees hit the seat when walking?

That looks to be a problem, but it's hard to tell.

Has anyone here used or tried both of these?

And what about stability?

It looks like the "Able" rollator *might* (?) be a bit more stable, because the weight from the hands (and thus body) is a bit closer to the person, and also a bit more "over the back wheels", whereas the other has the weight right between the two pairs of wheels.

I don't suppose there are any suppliers who would have both in the store so one could compare?  (that's a long shot!)

It might be difficult enough to find one at a time "in person" to try before ordering...?

Thanks again!

GC

The brand I bought was Oasispace.  I got it from Amazon, but they do have their own website.  The one I have is for larger people but they have several types. 
https://a.co/d/inKcYHV

https://www.oasisspace.com/

I have never had issues with my knees hitting the seat and I have a decent stride.  Mine is the upright version so I never feel hunched over.  I found it to be very stable even in rougher seas. 

I would be concerned about using the Able due to the wheels being so small.  If you plan on getting off the ship and exploring (even if it is a port market), the cobblestones or uneven surfaces would wreak havoc.

You can always visit a local Durable Medical Equipment store near you and see what they offer.  Even if it isn’t the same brands mentioned above, you can get a good idea of what style may be best suited to you. 

We have a Stander Fold and Go walker my husband has used on cruises and elsewhere  traveling since 2019. I think Stander is the parent company for Able LIfe, not sure what differences there are between the two walkers. I would not plan on using the seat for any long period of time as it is not that comfortable.The walker itself is great. You can collapse it while you are walking and still keep going to get by those carts in the hallways. Just pull up on the lever near the seat to collapse and push back down to reopen,  Also great when getting on/off an elevator as it takes no room when it is collapsed. We have used it on shore excursions without any problems. You can also use the seat to carry a small suitcase if needed. Amazon sells both items and I think they have a 30 return policy, check it out to make sure. The mesh basket is helpful for carrying "stuff".

• Like 2