Visit to Churchill War Rooms in London

gdlamberth

We will disembark from a cruise in Southampton on 28 August 2024, and plan to spend some time in London post cruise.  While there we plan to visit the Churchill War Rooms.  I have 2 questions related to our visit;

1. How long should we plan for our visit?
  2. If we pre-purchase tickets for a specific time window/slot but for any reason are several minutes late, will our pre-purchased tickets be honored?

I'd rather pre-purchase; but, if the time windows are rigorously enforced (as I suspect) i think I'll need to purchase at the door.  there are 4 of us if that matters.

Thanks for your assistance,

Greg

1. From what I remember of the place, probably about 1½ hours.
  2. I doubt that being several minutes late will cause a problem; I've never known one of these timed entry tickets anywhere in London being that rigorous. Everyone knows that public transport can inject some uncertainty into exactly when you arrive, and some people will inevitably get lost en route. The primary function of the timing is to ensure that the venue doesn't become overcrowded by managing the rate at which visitors enter, but this is never going to be a precise science because of the random rate at which visitors complete their visit and exit. I suspect that it would be more likely to be an issue if you were going to be half an hour late.
  • Thanks 1

I'd agree with Globalizer, but if you're specifically going to the War Rooms, you may have more than a passing interest, so I'd allow a little more time just in case.

Are you planning to visit any other IWM sites while in London? Specifically the HMS Belfast? I see the USNA in your signature. It's a fascinating floating museum, even for an old ground pounder. If so, price out an IWM membership for two. It will get you into both attractions with front of line privileges (for a year). Back in 2019 we decided kind of late to go to the War Rooms, but couldn't get a reservation. But we were able to get a membership online and used the confirmation number on our phones for admission. Something to research.

• Thanks 1

You could well spend two hours there, I think - depends if your interest lies in the War Rooms, Churchill or both, if you see what I mean! 

I would absolutely book for a visit in late August. This from the IWM FAQ should give you some comfort (as Globaliser says, it's a traffic calming measure, rather than a strict limit on entry):

Do I need to arrive at my booked time?

We ask, where possible, that you make a booking for the time you are expecting to arrive at one of our branches. This will guarantee you entry to the museum for that slot. At busy times you may need to queue before entry. If you are running late, we will attempt to get you in as soon as possible but you may still need to queue.

Once you have arrived, you are welcome to stay in the museum as long as you wish, up to the advertised closing time.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, gdlamberth said:

I'd rather pre-purchase; but, if the time windows are rigorously enforced (as I suspect) i think I'll need to purchase at the door.  there are 4 of us if that matters.

We visited here on Saturday. We pre booked for 10.30am but due to some change of plans at home we arrived at 9.30 and asked if we could enter early. There was quite a queue as it was the first time slot of the day but the nice lady said come back at 10am and you'll be fine, which we did. I think you’ll find they are pretty flexible if they can be. They like to stagger the entry to prevent bottle necks.

You start with war rooms using the included audio guide.  Once you  get to the museum part you can wander around in any direction and then you continue through the rest of the war rooms. 

Cafe is about 3/4 of the way around. We stopped there just after 2 1/4 hours in. After tea and cake we had to rush the last 1/4 as we had  to get our train. I think without the rush to get home our total time there including tea and cake would have been 3 hours.

IMG_0266.png

Edited by combine
  • Like 1