Butlers

cruise*enthusiast

31 minutes ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

I guess all of us who don’t want butlers unpacking for us should NOT hire a yacht as seen on Below Deck either, since it is apparently “expected “ there.  

Don't worry, I won't be chartering a super yacht. I love watching Below Deck (and its many incarnations) even though I know it's trash, half-scripted, 'reality' TV. It's like a car wreck - you can't help but look. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kazu said:

I had a butler on our Oceania cruise and to say I was unimpressed is an understatement.

There was no offer to unpack our clothes (who needs that though?) let alone “instinctively know what needs pressing”.  The room steward for our Neptune Suite was far better at that - offering to have my DD DH’s suits pressed for each Gala night.

No offer to shine shoes and I don’t see a big deal to put them in the wicker basket and on the bed.  

He did serve meals but basically brought in the tray and put it on the table just like room service would.

Obviously we didn’t have a good one or we were not worthy of his services.  In any case, if I were to choose between a butler or a good room steward & concierge - I would opt for the latter.  YMMV of course.

Jacqui, sounds like you didn’t luck out in the Butler category.  To be honest anyone that we have had has never offered to unpack/pack.  You have to request it.  We never do.  Some Butlers are wonderful.  Others are not so.  We have had some that anticipate our needs and will go over and above.  One instance was when we had Covid.  While the Butler was not allowed in our room, he was always available for anything we needed.  

Whenever we have requested meals in our cabin they have been served course by course, wine poured, etc.  

i just think you got the wrong Butler.  

I find that if you let them know what you want and need, they go out of their way to make it happen.  I even had one fix my shoes for me.

Sorry your experience wasn’t great.

Terri

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Jacqui, sounds like you didn’t luck out in the Butler category.  To be honest anyone that we have had has never offered to unpack/pack.  You have to request it.  We never do.  Some Butlers are wonderful.  Others are not so.  We have had some that anticipate our needs and will go over and above.  One instance was when we had Covid.  While the Butler was not allowed in our room, he was always available for anything we needed.  

Whenever we have requested meals in our cabin they have been served course by course, wine poured, etc.  

i just think you got the wrong Butler.  

I find that if you let them know what you want and need, they go out of their way to make it happen.  I even had one fix my shoes for me.

Sorry your experience wasn’t great.

Terri

Now that sounds like the perfect butler. I have do far been afraid to travel on a cruise with s butler since I do not want the “other “ experience.   This sounds “proper”.   

39 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

EMAIL ME

Why?

Some tech-wizards figure out how to link their email addy in their signature, without putting it in the "@" form that can be harvested by bots for malicious purposes. It wasn't intended for anyone in particular. 

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

It wasn't intended for anyone in particular. 

Ok. So, it's not like you're trying to bypass CC's filters for advertising, right? Just want to be clear.

7 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Ok. So, it's not like you're trying to bypass CC's filters for advertising, right? Just want to be clear.

LOL - no.  It’s part of her signature - just like it’s part of mine.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, cruise*enthusiast said:

Does HAL have cabin categories that include butler service?

Please read posts #8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 18, 20, etc

• Like 2