Balcony Guarantee...What happens if balconies sell out before assignment?

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Can't argue with that.  My point was more "they're not going to sell more cabins than they have".  

Actually they do.  Thry do oversell based on they know from historical data that xxx number of people will cancel and at how many days to sailing they will cancel.

They got themselves in trouble with this last year as their algorithms they were using were based on pre covid stats and the patterns have done a big shift.  This caused them to have to make many requests fir voluntary moves to other ships or dates.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, Laplayaperson said:

Thank you @Starry Eyes for responding!  It's a family of 4 so I did the mock booking just as I would have for another family of 4. I didn't bother trying a mock for a sleep 2 as I wouldn't think that inventory would be assigned for us considering we need a sleep 4 consideration.

What is RoyalUp bidding?  Are we eligible for this or that is only for assigned category guests? 

We have only sailed Royal one other time and it was pre-kids/pre-covid.  Thank you!!!  

So you were able to book a GTY with 4 guests?  I thought GTY's were limited to 2 guests? Sorry just noticed you can book a GTY for 4.

Edited by micruiser2002

30 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Aside from the one in Australia, when else has it happened last year?  Not saying it doesn't, but it's going to be rare. 

April 30 and May 14 Allure 

And going back just a bit further, December 11, 2022 Wonder

5 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

So you were able to book a GTY with 4 guests?  I thought GTY's were limited to 2 guests? Sorry just noticed you can book a GTY for 4.

Royal has now started allowing 4 guests to book gty's.  There is a separate category.  The new categories were rolled out in November with the new itinerary releases.

2 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Yes we were able to book a GTY with 4 guests.  We did it quite a bit in advance...not sure if that has anything to do with it?

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal has now started allowing 4 guests to book gty's.  There is a separate category.  The new categories were rolled out in November with the new itinerary releases.

@Ourusualbeach what do you mean separate category?  When we booked it just said something along the lines of  Balcony Guarantee "we pick your room" and so forth...Does that mean we are in a different category to others?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

April 30 and May 14 Allure 

And going back just a bit further, December 11, 2022 Wonder

OK.  Four cruises in a year's time.  Yup.  That's a lot. 

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Laplayaperson said:

@Ourusualbeach what do you mean separate category?  When we booked it just said something along the lines of  Balcony Guarantee "we pick your room" and so forth...Does that mean we are in a different category to others?

There are 2 types of guarantees.  The usual is a supercayegory gty. Fir example an XN balcony gty.  There are also category gtys fir example a 4D balcony where you are guaranteed a minimum category within the supercategory  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Laplayaperson said:

@Ourusualbeach!  I'm even more confused now with these super category gty and XN balcon gty??  I don't recall it saying any of those things 🤭

The supercategory is balcony and that includes sll the different balcony categories.  CA category is the specific type if balcony for example, Obstructed, midship, large etc...probably 90% of all valcony gtys will be in the supercategory meaning they could assign you any balcony.  A few gtys are a specific category meaning you will get that or better.

If it doesnt say then you are booking a supercategory gty.  

Invoices that travel agents get show this but the invoices that Royal issues guests who book direct do not show this. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

OK.  Four cruises in a year's time.  Yup.  That's a lot. 

I never said there were "a lot".

5 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

There were a few highly publicized incidents in 2023 when RC overbooked the ship and either didn't have enough cancellations and/or couldn't entice enough people to voluntarily reschedule to another cruise, so pax had their reservations involuntarily canceled.

You said that they don't oversell, and my point was that they do.

Edited by DallasGuy75219