Transportation from Ravenna cruise port to Venice

Carcoo

Looking for safe transportation from the Ravenna cruise terminal to Venice. Private autos are very expensive. Heard there are pickpockets at train stations. Has anyone done this route?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Carcoo said:

Looking for safe transportation from the Ravenna cruise terminal to Venice. Private autos are very expensive. Heard there are pickpockets at train stations. Has anyone done this route?

Have you considered using the transfer service provided by your cruise line (for a fee)?  If this is for Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, they both offer the service.  You can call them to pre-book it or arrange it while on your ship.  I would do it in advance.  I haven't seen a more reasonably priced alternative.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding pickpockets, just accept that is a problem in any tourist area (within Europe) and you should always take common sense, reasonable precautions.  

Getting to Ravenna is not easy, on a budget.  We second the idea of of using your cruise line's transfer, if it works for your schedule.  Trains are not a good option.  I would probably just rent a car (one-way) and drive myself (we have driven over 10,000 miles within Italy) but I do think driving in Italy is best left to those comfortable with that kind of thing.   A small manual shift rental would probably cost you about $150 (including fuel).

If you can find another couple (or perhaps a larger group) on the CC Roll Call board, than you might consider booking a private transfer.  This will be somewhat expensive, but becomes reasonable when split among a few couples.  The problem with transfers (private or taxi) is that it is about 75 miles (one way) and they will charge you for the 150 mile round trip (which can take over 5 hours).

Hank

• Thanks 1

Do the cruise lines offer the shuttle both ways?  Also where is the pick up in Venice?  We are starting to look at hotels for 2 nights pre cruise.

What do you recommend for a flight time home from Venice after debark?  What would be the earliest we could get to comfortably with Royals shuttle?  I found a flight for 11:00 AM and concerned that would be too early.  

Thank you for any help 

8 minutes ago, wildernesslady said:

Do the cruise lines offer the shuttle both ways?  Also where is the pick up in Venice?  We are starting to look at hotels for 2 nights pre cruise.

What do you recommend for a flight time home from Venice after debark?  What would be the earliest we could get to comfortably with Royals shuttle?  I found a flight for 11:00 AM and concerned that would be too early.  

Thank you for any help 

I don't know if all cruise lines provide transfers both directions, but Royal Caribbean and Celebrity appear to (for a fee) based on my personal experience and/or what I've read on this forum.

Royal Caribbean offered 2 version to/from Venice.  Either to/from the Marco Polo Airport or to/from the Tronchetto People Mover station.  So if you're in a hotel, you would likely choose a transfer to or from the Tronchetto People Mover.  You would have to get from your hotel to or from that location.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wildernesslady said:

Thank you for any help 

Earliest flight departure that Royal will allow for their shuttle is 12:15 or later so no way on the 11 AM flight unless you prebook a car service and walk of yourself.  

The Tronchetto/City Center stop is easily accessed via private water taxi. Otherwise, you can get there via vaporetto to Piazzale Roma.  I prebooked a water taxi to take me to my Venice hotel

https://avm.avmspa.it/en/content/people-mover-0

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:34 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

Have you considered using the transfer service provided by your cruise line (for a fee)?  If this is for Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, they both offer the service.  You can call them to pre-book it or arrange it while on your ship.  I would do it in advance.  I haven't seen a more reasonably priced alternative.

• 2 weeks later...