Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

Just now, Beckett said:

@Selbourne So sorry you're having so many issues Selbourne. Whilst I very much enjoy your daily posts I can't help feeling from your comments that this cruise is turning into a test of endurance. I hope the US immigration process isn't as bad as you are anticipating. Good luck. Jane xx

Just now, jh1809 said:

I'm sorry that the cruise has been a disappointment in so many respects. It sounds as if both the ship and the crew have gone downhill since I was last on her just over a year ago.

Just now, TigerB said:

Our first cruise on Aurora is in September next year, selected more than anything for the itinerary, but if the experience of life onboard is anything like yours, I fear we will be thinking again. 

I appreciate that my frustration at the way that some things have been handled (or rather haven’t been handled) is featuring in my blog, as it should in order to give a true reflection of our overall experience, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say that we aren’t enjoying the cruise.

There are many positives (which I’ve also been mentioning) and on balance we are still enjoying it. As we are over 2 weeks in, something that I considered doing, but haven’t had chance to, was a summary ‘likes and dislikes’ of the cruise so far. As I suspect that we will have a lot of hanging around today I might try to do that. 

Whilst disappointed that I’ve had to cancel my Kennedy Space centre trip, we shall turn today into a positive and see what Cocoa Beach has to offer. The shuttle is apparently free, which is handy as we booked a Saver, and there is an accessible one. 

• Like 18

Good move going to Cocoa Beach, something you both should enjoy. You should at least be able to have a bimble along the oceanfront.

To the best of my recollection, there are manatees in Banana river, which runs along the other side of Cocoa Beach. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well said TigerB. I agree with you completely. I think Lord and Lady S have been treated with a total lack of care, interest, and empathy. Such a shame. I do hope it improves for them. Jane xx

+1 I agree with you Jane.

Graham xx

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Selbourne said:

As I’ve said before, for a supposedly advanced country, they are decidedly third world in how they deal with some issues. I am anticipating issues, not least because of the added complication that we have of me going on a tour and my wife not. 

You got it right there!   We were once coming back from Costa Rica and had to go into Miami to change flights.  The customs person didn't like the look of my Roses Lime Juice and forced me to drink some of it even though I told her it's supposed to be mixed with water!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

They didn't have a separate wheelchair line in NOLA when we were there.

They do in Miami,San Francisco and Orlando.

If you ask homeland security officers in the cruise or airport terminals they will direct you.

If you are disabled but not in a wheelchair wear a hidden disability badge on a lanyard and they are extremely helpful from personal experience.

Edited by grapau27

Today’s MDR menus. Can anyone tell me what Pho Soup is? Given the number of typographical errors on the menus, I’m not sure that I’d risk it 💩 😂 

IMG_1166.jpeg

IMG_1167.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Pho is a Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs, and meat. Phở is a popular food in Vietnam where it is served in households, street-stalls, and restaurants country-wide. Residents of the city of Nam Định were the first to create Vietnamese traditional phở. Wikipedia
Origin: Vietnam
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Bin man said:
Pho is a Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs, and meat. Phở is a popular food in Vietnam where it is served in households, street-stalls, and restaurants country-wide. Residents of the city of Nam Định were the first to create Vietnamese traditional phở. Wikipedia
Origin: Vietnam

That’s a relief. Thank you 😂 

• Haha 3

Summary of Likes & Dislikes after the first 16 days

Passenger Profile - I don’t know the actual age profile, but suspect that the average age is mid 70s. All seem to be seasoned cruisers who want the same sort of thing from their cruises as we do. Most are very personable and lift etiquette and consideration for the needs of fellow passengers with disabilities is excellent. 

Bar service - We are served almost immediately in all bars. No waits or having to catch the attention of waiters. 

Guest lecturers - The ones that we’ve had so far have been excellent and the topics have been very interesting. 

Theatre Performers - The Privateers & Neil Lockwood were probably the two best evening performances that we have seen on a P&O cruise. It’s not been so good since they left, but at least we were lucky to have them. 

Classical recitals - So far we’ve had a flautist and absolutely first rate classical pianist. I’d pay to see the latter. Superb. 

Port Presentations - I thought that these had bitten the dust, having had none on our last 3 cruises, but these have been great. There’s a good 15 mins or so of useful info before the promotion of excursions. 

Itinerary - Aurora (and Arcadia) still have very interesting itineraries on their longer cruises. We cruise for the ports, not the ship, so this cruise delivers 25 new ports for us whereas ex-UK cruises on the bigger ships are same old, same old. 

DISLIKES

Loyalty, what loyalty? - This is the first cruise that we’ve been on since reaching Caribbean loyalty tier where we have felt that this has counted for nothing. Priority boarding was a shambles (not enough CPS or Intercruises staff for 1,000 higher tier passengers - had P&O warned them?), poor quality priority boarders buffet rather than served meal, no officer interaction or address at the Caribbean lunch, no complimentary champagne in cabin (I’ve asked and it still hasn’t turned up).

Officer engagement - I have covered my concerns about this in depth so won’t repeat them here, but suffice to say that I have been unimpressed. Problem resolution has been poor and has required chasing multiple times. Low profile Captain and none of the usual interesting announcements to enhance passenger enjoyment. 

Temperature extremes - The air conditioning seems to be malfunctioning regularly. Very few areas are a comfortable temperature. Several areas are uncomfortably hot and one is like a fridge. 

Accessible provision - Having been on the newer ships, it really brings home how comparatively poor Aurora is for those with disabilities. No automatic doors to any of the outside decks and only two seats in the theatre where a companion can sit next to a wheelchair user - and these are not designated for wheelchair companions only (as they are on the newer ships). Ramp out on to balcony too steep for wheelchair user to use unaided. The bed is too low and my wife is struggling massively with it. Reported but apparently nothing can be done. 

MDR food - Those who read my blogs on Britannia, Iona and Ventura last year will recall that I was full of praise for the MDR food, in spite of all the negative reviews I’d read before we went on them. MDR food on Aurora has been the weakest of the four ships. All perfectly edible and some meals have been very good, but someone have been very poor and most have been underwhelming. 

Breakfast times in MDR - Last entry 9am on port days and 9.30am on sea days. This is a bit too early for us when on holiday. Other ships in the P&O fleet are now 9.30am port days and 10am sea days. That extra 30 minutes makes a lot of difference and would be particularly beneficial on our return transatlantic when we loose an hour a day. 

Weather - Not a P&O issue obviously, but just an observation that we have been incredibly unlucky with the weather in the first 17 days. I keep telling my wife that it can only get better, but it never seems to 😂 

In summary, we are still enjoying the cruise and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but our frustration is that most of the negatives could be easily resolved. They have also come as a particular disappointment when we know that other ships in the fleet have done better recently and indeed our previous Aurora cruises haven’t generally fallen short in these areas.  

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

We had the lamb dopiaza at lunchtime and I'll definitely have it if it appears again. Not too spicy for me - DH says I'm a wuss!

Edited to add that I posted this just moments after you without having seen your latest post, which is an interesting and fair assessment.

Add me to the list of those who think that given your circumstances, your issues should have been handled a lot better. 

PXL_20240119_172736352.jpg

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 11

Day 17 - Friday 19th January - Port Canaveral, Florida

Before I start todays update, a few hours ago I posted a summary of our likes and dislikes over the first 16 days (just incase anyone missed it). 

We arrived into Port Canaveral at around 0330, and much to the annoyance of a number of passengers, the Deputy Captain did the usual arrival announcement not long after 5am! We had a bit of a view from our cabin as daylight arrived, until Disney Wish pulled onto the berth opposite us. She certainly looks a very smart ship. 

After the disappointment of having to cancel my tour to the Kennedy Space Centre (which, by the way, I have already received the full refund for thanks to the efficient lady on the excursions desk), we decided to take our time and not even attempt disembarking and US immigration until we absolutely had to. Prior to going to breakfast I had a brainwave that the laundrette would be quiet, and it was, so I put in two loads of mostly underwear (a black and a white load - I’m well trained having to do all this at home 😂). 

The MDR was very quiet, so we had a leisurely breakfast before picking up Britain Today and then switching the finished washing into the tumble driers. We then did a panoramic tour of deck 13 to see the distant views. There were quite a few people up there as you can see the vehicle assembly building (VAB) and launch pads in the distance. The hot topic of conversation around the ship today is that the Captain on this cruise gives out virtually no interesting information to enhance passenger enjoyment of the cruise, as many others do. This was brought into sharp focus following yesterday afternoon when apparently there was a rocket launch from Cape Canaveral that might have been visible in the distance from the ship. I knew nothing about this or I would have been on deck for it. I wondered if perhaps the Captain would have been unaware as well, but apparently there are warnings and exclusion zones issued to shipping.

We returned to the cabin and decided to just wait there until all the crowds had cleared immigration. After an age it dawned on us that we had forgotten all about the drying in the laundrette, so I rushed back over there expecting to be lynched by the laundrette mafia, but thankfully it was deserted and no other machines were in use. Phew! Every 20 minutes or so another 100 to 150 people with numbered tickets were called to go ashore for immigration. We got ourselves ready but continued waiting in the cabin until the final call for all remaining passengers to disembark. This plan worked, as we then only queued for 15 minutes or so to get through US immigration. All very straightforward and quick, even though the chap who dealt with us was po faced and didn’t even attempt a smile. Miserable so and so. 

It had all gone much better than we expected, but then we hit a major problem. As we exited the terminal, we were directed to a queue for the accessible shuttle bus. There were only two people ahead of us in the queue, but the couple at the front informed us that they had already been waiting an hour. Apparently one of the two coaches that had a side lift for wheelchairs had a fault with the lift. After half an hour (90 minutes for the first couple) the second coach with a lift arrived and a lady was offloaded, who commented that due to the way that she had been treated she stayed on the bus and came straight back. We didn’t get chance to find out what her issue had been. Anyway, just as we were about to be loaded (the lady who was second in the queue had given up by this stage) the driver announced that the lift on his vehicle was also now out of action. I found a member of the shore excursions team and enquired whether it would be possible, if we could find a suitable vehicle, to get a taxi and get a refund from reception (this was offered to us in the past when there was a problem with the accessible shuttle). She advised against it. Another half an hour went by and eventually after a one hour wait (two hours for the first couple) another coach with a lift arrived and we were on the shuttle. 

Our driver ‘Rusty’ was brilliant. Even though it was just a shuttle, he gave a really interesting commentary throughout the 25 minute transfer to Cocoa Beach. When we got to Cocoa beach it was absolutely nothing like we expected. I had naively assumed that it would be a beach resort with a promenade. Unfortunately it’s nothing of the kind. If you’ve been to places like Orlando you’ll know what I mean when I say that it’s just a typical American area with widely spaced buildings each with their own car parks that feels nothing like a town. The beach has no promenade and is accessed up sandy access slips that aren’t wheelchair accessible. Realising that there was nothing of interest for us here, and not wanting a repeat of the one hour wait (or longer) to get back to the ship, after a quick 10 minute walk around we headed back to Rusty’s coach as it was still there. Once loaded we were off and he brought us back a different way with an equally interesting commentary. It was the first time that I’ve ever tipped a shuttle bus driver, but he made what could have been a completely wasted journey interesting. 

Getting back on to the ship was very quick and efficient and the shoreside terminal staff were very helpful. After dropping off our things we went up to deck 12 and grabbed a burger (well, I did, my wife just had some fries 🙄) which hit the spot. We then went to the coffee shop for a drink and the couple that we’d had the embarkation lunch with stopped for a brief chat and I was pleased to hear that he’d managed to get his ESTA problem resolved. 

Later in the day I went up to deck 13 to have a look at the NASA sites with my binoculars and ended up having a long chat with guest lecturer William Joyce and his wife. He is such an interesting (and intelligent) man. We watched the sail out from our balcony. The captain had said in his departure announcement that a retrieved Space X rocket would be visible on the port side, but we couldn’t see anything resembling it. 

When we sat down at our dinner table, a lovely lady came up and said that she reads my blog and was so sorry to hear about the problems that we had experienced in trying to resolve our US immigration problem and she wished that she’d been able to assist us. As I said in my summary earlier, there are some really nice people on this cruise. Dinner was better than usual. We both had tuna steak with stir fry and enjoyed it. We are happy with our new table and both our waiter and assistant waiter seem very good. The theatre show was another female vocalist and they never really appeal, so an early night. Tomorrow Miami where we are hoping to get a cab to Miami Beach. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 32

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Summary of Likes & Dislikes after the first 16 days

Passenger Profile - I don’t know the actual age profile, but suspect that the average age is mid 70s. All seem to be seasoned cruisers who want the same sort of thing from their cruises as we do. Most are very personable and lift etiquette and consideration for the needs of fellow passengers with disabilities is excellent. 

Bar service - We are served almost immediately in all bars. No waits or having to catch the attention of waiters. 

Guest lecturers - The ones that we’ve had so far have been excellent and the topics have been very interesting. 

Theatre Performers - The Privateers & Neil Lockwood were probably the two best evening performances that we have seen on a P&O cruise. It’s not been so good since they left, but at least we were lucky to have them. 

Classical recitals - So far we’ve had a flautist and absolutely first rate classical pianist. I’d pay to see the latter. Superb. 

Port Presentations - I thought that these had bitten the dust, having had none on our last 3 cruises, but these have been great. There’s a good 15 mins or so of useful info before the promotion of excursions. 

Itinerary - Aurora (and Arcadia) still have very interesting itineraries on their longer cruises. We cruise for the ports, not the ship, so this cruise delivers 25 new ports for us whereas ex-UK cruises on the bigger ships are same old, same old. 

DISLIKES

Loyalty, what loyalty? - This is the first cruise that we’ve been on since reaching Caribbean loyalty tier where we have felt that this has counted for nothing. Priority boarding was a shambles (not enough CPS or Intercruises staff for 1,000 higher tier passengers - had P&O warned them?), poor quality priority boarders buffet rather than served meal, no officer interaction or address at the Caribbean lunch, no complimentary champagne in cabin (I’ve asked and it still hasn’t turned up).

Officer engagement - I have covered my concerns about this in depth so won’t repeat them here, but suffice to say that I have been unimpressed. Problem resolution has been poor and has required chasing multiple times. Low profile Captain and none of the usual interesting announcements to enhance passenger enjoyment. 

Temperature extremes - The air conditioning seems to be malfunctioning regularly. Very few areas are a comfortable temperature. Several areas are uncomfortably hot and one is like a fridge. 

Accessible provision - Having been on the newer ships, it really brings home how comparatively poor Aurora is for those with disabilities. No automatic doors to any of the outside decks and only two seats in the theatre where a companion can sit next to a wheelchair user - and these are not designated for wheelchair companions only (as they are on the newer ships). Ramp out on to balcony too steep for wheelchair user to use unaided. The bed is too low and my wife is struggling massively with it. Reported but apparently nothing can be done. 

MDR food - Those who read my blogs on Britannia, Iona and Ventura last year will recall that I was full of praise for the MDR food, in spite of all the negative reviews I’d read before we went on them. MDR food on Aurora has been the weakest of the four ships. All perfectly edible and some meals have been very good, but someone have been very poor and most have been underwhelming. 

Breakfast times in MDR - Last entry 9am on port days and 9.30am on sea days. This is a bit too early for us when on holiday. Other ships in the P&O fleet are now 9.30am port days and 10am sea days. That extra 30 minutes makes a lot of difference and would be particularly beneficial on our return transatlantic when we loose an hour a day. 

Weather - Not a P&O issue obviously, but just an observation that we have been incredibly unlucky with the weather in the first 17 days. I keep telling my wife that it can only get better, but it never seems to 😂 

In summary, we are still enjoying the cruise and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but our frustration is that most of the negatives could be easily resolved. They have also come as a particular disappointment when we know that other ships in the fleet have done better recently and indeed our previous Aurora cruises haven’t generally fallen short in these areas.  

Sorry to read that you’re still having issues, I hope those situations improve for the rest of your cruise

• Like 1

Good luck with Miami. The one, and only time, that we have been through Miami on a cruise would be the last. It may have been a timing issue but getting back on board was a nightmare as the security check is done in the terminal by the very helpful (not) and pleasant (not) Homeland Security. What would take around 15 minutes at any other port took over an hour.

Also because of its size Miami port is chaotic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update👍🏻

What a disappointing day for you!  Hopefully you'll have better luck at Miami Beach, where you can at least bimble up and down the oceanfront, drink an overpriced cockertail or two, and have a giggle at the poseurs with their garishly coloured super cars.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

"...only two seats in the theatre where a companion can sit next to a wheelchair user - and these are not designated for wheelchair companions only (as they are on the newer ships)."

That is especially poor, as it would be so quick and easy for the ship to add signs saying "Wheelchair Companions Only" to the appropriate seats.

It sounds as though the current captain isn't much good, and I suspect that has a big impact on how helpful or otherwise the rest of the senior crew members are. Hopefully by the time I next go on Aurora in May it will be the alternative captain's tour of duty.

Edited by jh1809
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

It sounds as though the current captain isn't much good, and I suspect that has a big impact on how helpful or otherwise the rest of the senior crew members are. Hopefully by the time I next go on Aurora in May it will be the alternative captain's tour of duty.

There is good news and bad news.

First the good news, according to Moments Simon Love takes over on 27th Feb so It will be interesting to hear from our Man on Aurora if there is a change in atmosphere, we are pleased because we like Simon and he will on for our forthcoming cruise. Unfortunately the customer focused one is back on 15th May. 

Edited by Bill Y
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

There is good news and bad news.

First the good news, according to Moments Simon Love takes over on 27th Feb so It will be interesting to hear from our Man on Aurora if there is a change in atmosphere, we are please because we like Simon and he will on for our forthcoming cruise. Unfortunately the customer focused one is back on 15th May. 

I agree Simon Love was a good captain on our December cruise, plenty of interaction at the peninsula party , shaking hands and having some private photos taken and out mingling during the day , some nights quite a few officers came in Carmens to watch the acts always willing to talk etc , I certainly hope it gets better for Selbourne and he starts to enjoy it a lot more without having to chase customer services for answers. 

• Like 3

Just to repeat again that we are enjoying the cruise, in spite of some of the issues we have had. The biggest two challenges were US immigration and my aborted trip to the Kennedy Space Centre (now behind us) and our dining arrangement (now sorted). As I’ve now said a few times, the other issues, whilst irritating, are outweighed by the good points. So please don’t feel too sorry for us. We are still having a fabulous adventure away from the British winter 👍

• Like 21

Just now, david63 said:

For security reasons I must ask you to remove the last photo showing my yacht (if only)🤣🤣🤣

That yacht was impressive, even amongst the dozen or so other super yachts surrounding it. I was impressed when I saw the helicopter landing pad at the back, only to be even more impressed when I noticed the second helicopter landing pad at the front 😂 

We are now berthed and our side faces the main link road between Miami and Miami Beach. Every 5 minutes or so there’s the roar of a Ferrari or Lamborghini or other such exotica at full throttle. They don’t seem so bothered about electric vehicles over here 🤔😂

• Like 11