Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

What an absolutely brilliant blog Selbourne and thanks again for the time and commitment you've put in to keep us entertained.

It's very refreshing to read a truly honest and open account of the voyage, both good, bad and indifferent.

Safe journey home, and if I may be really cheeky, please, please give us a live blog once onboard Cunard later in the year, but appreciate it's a lot of work, so either way thanks again 👏

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I’ve so loved reading about your wonderful adventure. Thank you so much for taking us all with you……. I am really going to miss your daily report each morning - can you go round again please!

Safe travels home.

Gill x

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

So that’s nearly it …?

Well, there are a lot of us who will miss starting our day to your latest instalment.

It’s very windy this morning; I hope that doesn’t make your final hours onboard uncomfortable.

🤞for smooth seas, easy disembarkation and a good journey home.  (Is your car parked at Southampton?  It will have missed you!)

Interim thanks for now - I look forward to your up-summing 🚢 

• Like 8

I will add my heartfelt thanks for the time and work you have put into this 'Live from'. As a wheelchair user, I have been particularly interested in your comments about accessibility at ports (and have come to the conclusion that the Caribbean is not for us).

I wish you a safe journey home even though, like others, I will be bereft of reading material in the mornings once you get back. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

As a wheelchair user, I have been particularly interested in your comments about accessibility at ports (and have come to the conclusion that the Caribbean is not for us).

I’ve mentioned where we’ve had challenges but keep in mind that we still managed it. A manual wheelchair user needs a fit ‘pusher’ but there are plenty of wheelchair and scooter users on here and we all arrived back in one piece. It’s certainly more challenging than some places, but still do-able. 

• Like 8

Thanks from me too. I've very much enjoyed all your reports.

I wonder if the attitude that only customer satisfaction scores of 10 are adequate has filtered down from P&O being part of a US company. I understand that in the US, where everything is hyped, it is usual to award much higher scores than we Brits would do. I wonder if cabin stewards and waiters who fail to get an average score of very close to 10 miss out on their share of the gratuities that are included in passengers' fares?

• Like 1

Thanks again for the great blog.  I hope you have a quick and easy journey home and that traffic is kind in Southampton after the big fire.

On the feedback point, I came across this story yesterday on the internet.  It gives a very interesting insight into the world of some very savvy crew members!  

https://www.ladbible.com/lifestyle/travel/cruise-ship-worker-shares-salary-youtube-563508-20240306

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Selbourne 🙏.  I’ve resumed the paper delivery from tomorrow and with the money I’ve saved these past 2 months I’ve booked a Caribbean cruise on Britannia next January.

Safe travels back home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Wonderful blog...been a real treat reading about your " adventures" good...bad...and indifferent. Thank you for helping us pass the long Winter days. Hope you post your next cruising blog with Cunard so that once again we can sail along with you 😀 

• Like 4

I’ve just caught up on the last few days and see from ‘elsewhere’ that Aurora is safely back in Southampton.

Thanks again for all the effort put in, safe journey home. I shall look forward to the summing up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve mentioned where we’ve had challenges but keep in mind that we still managed it. A manual wheelchair user needs a fit ‘pusher’ but there are plenty of wheelchair and scooter users on here and we all arrived back in one piece. It’s certainly more challenging than some places, but still do-able. 

It's been brilliant sharing your voyage. Thanks.

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your informative blog and taking time out of your holiday to do it!

I have read it every morning and found your reflections on a long cruise across the Atlantic really useful..  Appreciate sharing your journey with us...thanks once again.

• Like 2

We will all  miss your daily stories Selbourne.

We are all 'elite😃 but there was a super elite gang of three on here. One was you and your daily blog, but we still have two

1. Kalos every morning🤣  and

2. The dashboard with Costa coffee and banana cake!!!

Thanks again

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

Thanks Selbourne for your reports. I don’t know how you managed to keep it going for the full cruise. I hope you arrived home safely and that your home is still as you left it.

• Like 7

I can only echo all the previous sentiments expressed on here. It has been a daily pleasure to read all about your travels and travails. Must confess I worry about Royallondon’s reading habits if 2 months papers can equal a Caribbean cruise😳. Hope he/she doesn’t regret it when sweating in the galley!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Many thanks for your time and effort to produce your daily reports. Like many others have enjoyed reading each morning. I feel as though I have been on the Grand Tour with you and your wife. Best Wishes.

• Like 3

Selbourne, I have posted before how I am a huge fan of your posts.

I really don’t know what to read now, whilst eating breakfast!
It has kept me enthralled for all 65 days.

Thank you and well done to you both.

• Like 4