Buenos Aires Report on Disembarkation and transfer to AEP

Nidwaldner

Cross posted

Just disembarked the Sapphire Princess Jan 04, 2024

for those interested we had an early disembarkation time of 7:10 (Brown 2, it was the 3rd or 4th group). Actual time our group was called was about 7:30. From there you ride a 10 minute shuttle to baggage pick up and customs (no passport check, I assume the ship had that all cleared). We had to wait another 10 minutes once at terminal to be allowed in to collect bags (grouped by tag colors and numbers). We went directly through x-ray check and our driver was waiting to take us right to AEP airport ($50). We had kept WhatsApp DM with the driver about our status.  We were all checked in, paid overweight baggage fee at cashier (only about $10 for bags between 15kg and 23kg for domestic flight) and through security for our 11:45 Aerolíneas Argentina flight to IGR by about 8:45. It was way easier than I was expecting. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the report.  We're doing the same on Feb 5 except we're stopping at a hotel booked for after our falls visit to drop off most of our bags. 

And, based on a recent report, we're packing more layers for the Drake Passage!

Agreed.  I was also puzzled by the cost.  I don't think it is more than 4 miles.  Cabs are cheap in BA--a regular taxi would probably be $5 or so.  If you are concerned about safety and have data, you can also use Uber.  Hotels are very accustomed to storing bags for clients taking domestic flights with small baggage allowances.  It's nice not to have to be burdened by the extra bags. But, glad to hear the excess baggage fees are very reasonable.

Aerolineas Argentinas just pushed our Feb 5 flight back 3 hours.  We opted to add a 4 hour tour with airport dropoff, will give our group an overview for our days after Iguazu

• 4 weeks later...

Have you had a overnight in Buenos Aires with Princess?
We booked the tour from San Antonio to Buenos Aires in Dec/Jan 2024/25 and we have an overnight in Buenos Aires. How early we can disembark at the second day from the Ship? We want' to book early flights.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 5:29 AM, Nidwaldner said:

Cross posted

for those interested we had an early disembarkation time of 7:10 (Brown 2, it was the 3rd or 4th group). Actual time our group was called was about 7:30. From there you ride a 10 minute shuttle to baggage pick up and customs (no passport check, I assume the ship had that all cleared). We had to wait another 10 minutes once at terminal to be allowed in to collect bags (grouped by tag colors and numbers). We went directly through x-ray check and our driver was waiting to take us right to AEP airport ($50). We had kept WhatsApp DM with the driver about our status.  We were all checked in, paid overweight baggage fee at cashier (only about $10 for bags between 15kg and 23kg for domestic flight) and through security for our 11:45 Aerolíneas Argentina flight to IGR by about 8:45. It was way easier than I was expecting. 

Can you link me to the original post done by Cross?  I need to find out what company they used for the transfer to the AEP airport. We will be doing the tour to the falls after our cruise next year.  Thanks 

32 minutes ago, Retired & love to cruise said:

Can you link me to the original post done by Cross?  I need to find out what company they used for the transfer to the AEP airport. We will be doing the tour to the falls after our cruise next year.  Thanks 

cross-posted just means I posted in more than one thread. I'm the one who used the transfer through https://www.buenosairestaxis.com/  It worked out well for us and we were able to see all we wanted on both sides of Iguazu. We used https://iguazufalls.travel/transportcombos/ for all our transfers from IGR directly to the Iguazu Melia Hotel (the best splurge, given our limited time, we've ever done!) to stay overnight and then transfer to the Brazil side next afternoon for self-tour before transfer to IGU in the evening for our flight home.

1 hour ago, Nidwaldner said:

cross-posted just means I posted in more than one thread. I'm the one who used the transfer through https://www.buenosairestaxis.com/  It worked out well for us and we were able to see all we wanted on both sides of Iguazu. We used https://iguazufalls.travel/transportcombos/ for all our transfers from IGR directly to the Iguazu Melia Hotel (the best splurge, given our limited time, we've ever done!) to stay overnight and then transfer to the Brazil side next afternoon for self-tour before transfer to IGU in the evening for our flight home.

Thank you for your quick reply.  I appreciate the explanation about the cross-posted term. Just didn't even think about it that way. Thought it was a person named  cross as I was most interested in finding out about the best way to get to AEP airport. I so appreciate the link to the website that you used.  We are looking forward to our trip to the Iguazu falls after the cruise and want to make it easy and safe.  Thanks for this information.  

• 3 weeks later...

The tour company has organised a full day tour of the Argentinian Falls but I would like to organise a half day tour to the Brazilian side, either the day I arrive or the day I depart as long as I can get the flights.  Is a half day tour to the Brazilian Falls enough time to see them?

We did a half day tour to Brazil  then headed to the airport for a 5  P.M. flight to B,A, Worked out well and was definintly worth it.

When you disembarked in Buenos Aires do you remember whether you were able to walk off the ship with your luggage rather than put it outside the night before and then collect it?  

11 hours ago, lynn2002 said:

When you disembarked in Buenos Aires do you remember whether you were able to walk off the ship with your luggage rather than put it outside the night before and then collect it?  

This is dependent on your ship and cruise line so you should ask on your line's specific forum.  On our recent cruise that disembarked in BA, we could have done that, but decided to have the ship handle most of our luggage.  Note that everyone was required to take a bus from the ship to the terminal since it is an industrial port.  It was a mess in the terminal building with a very long line to get out of the terminal building; I believe it took about 1 hour from the moment we left the ship until we were out of the terminal.  It was the most disorganized disembarkation of any cruise we have been on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 5:02 PM, Torquer said:

This is dependent on your ship and cruise line so you should ask on your line's specific forum.  On our recent cruise that disembarked in BA, we could have done that, but decided to have the ship handle most of our luggage.  Note that everyone was required to take a bus from the ship to the terminal since it is an industrial port.  It was a mess in the terminal building with a very long line to get out of the terminal building; I believe it took about 1 hour from the moment we left the ship until we were out of the terminal.  It was the most disorganized disembarkation of any cruise we have been on.

I came across your post and was wondering what cruise line you were with? We are going to be on Princess and trying to plan for a shore excursion pick up in BA. Do you think its easier for someone just going ashore for the day?

On 1/4/2024 at 6:29 AM, Nidwaldner said:

Cross posted

I just came across your post and am looking for information while planning a shore excursion in BA. We'll be on the Majestic and want to take the earliest flight from AEP. Can we walk off at 7:00 am or do you have to have disembarkation time/ticket? Without luggage do you think wed make an 8:50am flight?Thank you!!

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti1 said:

I came across your post and was wondering what cruise line you were with? We are going to be on Princess and trying to plan for a shore excursion pick up in BA. Do you think its easier for someone just going ashore for the day?

We were on Oceania.  We had an option of carrying our luggage or have them do it.  In either case, you have to take a bus from the ship to the terminal building.  When we left the ship, around 9AM, it really wouldn't have mattered if we had carried our bags or picked them up in the terminal.  There was really just a couple minutes to find our bags.  The big delay was the bus, and then waiting in line to exit the building.  Now there were 3 ships in port for our disembarkation;  it probably goes faster if you are the only ship.

I see you asked someone else if you can disembark at 7AM and make an 8:50AM flight.  I would say you should absolutely not plan on that.  As I said, in our case it took about 1 hour from leaving the ship to leaving the termina.  Then it is a long drive to the airport.  We took a tour of BA, and then they drove us to the airport in the afternoon.  In our case it took about 50 minutes from downtown until we got to the airport and there was significant traffic delays at times.  Then you have the check-in and security lines at the airport.  If I was doing this, I would want at minimum 4 hours from disembarkation to my flight.

3 hours ago, Spaghetti1 said:

I just came across your post and am looking for information while planning a shore excursion in BA. We'll be on the Majestic and want to take the earliest flight from AEP. Can we walk off at 7:00 am or do you have to have disembarkation time/ticket? Without luggage do you think wed make an 8:50am flight?Thank you!!

I would say a very strong “maybe”. I would think 10am or later would be safer with after 11 safer still. But no guarantee. Princess strongly discouraged walk offs. I was told because the gangway can be steep and can be difficult to do with heavy luggage. We would’ve been fine. The earlier you get off the less Line in the hall. I think it helped tremendously we had a private transfer meet us bro. All said and done I think we were checked in and through security at AEP around 8:45 but it really depends on whether your disembarkation goes smoothly, how mobile you are, and all the airport variables and of course your risk tolerance. Getting to port is very very slow going up the river in BA. 

51 minutes ago, Nidwaldner said:

I would say a very strong “maybe”. I would think 10am or later would be safer with after 11 safer still. But no guarantee. Princess strongly discouraged walk offs. I was told because the gangway can be steep and can be difficult to do with heavy luggage. We would’ve been fine. The earlier you get off the less Line in the hall. I think it helped tremendously we had a private transfer meet us bro. All said and done I think we were checked in and through security at AEP around 8:45 but it really depends on whether your disembarkation goes smoothly, how mobile you are, and all the airport variables and of course your risk tolerance. Getting to port is very very slow going up the river in BA. 

Thank you! We're not disembarking- no luggage- just headed to Iguazu falls for the day and hoping to make an 8:40 flight. The next flight at 9:50 is already booked up and the princess excursion is full. We still don't know what we will do🤷🏻

1 hour ago, Spaghetti1 said:

Thank you! We're not disembarking- no luggage- just headed to Iguazu falls for the day and hoping to make an 8:40 flight. The next flight at 9:50 is already booked up and the princess excursion is full. We still don't know what we will do🤷🏻

Ah, now I see it's an overnight stop. I can tell you we arrived in Iguazu around 1pm and were able to see both sides by 5pm the next day before our flight home.  And that also included a time-consuming boat tour on the Argentinian side which could be skipped if you're short on time. The Devil's Throat board walks(Garganta) was washed away (again) so we didn't do the train since we were staying in the Park and walked the paths that were open. Look here how you could split it in 2 travel days: Iguazu https://iguazufalls.travel/both-sides-iguazu-the-same-day/#:~:text=Can you even do both,falls on the same day.  We used Iguazu Falls Travel and they handled all our transfers and the border crossing seamlessly. They will customize a trip for you and are great at answering questions. I think having them take you right to the Argentina side on arrival and then Brazil side next mid-morning would work great and allow you time as long as you are fast walkers (unless you were thinking of doing it in one day? They can give you good advice) We also found splurging on an overnight at the Iguazu Melia maximized our time being able to walk into the park right at opening and staying until close and was so worth it with our limited time (we had the cheapest room and it was still great and the only time I've ever thought the splurge was worth it if you can swing it. It truly is a magnificent experience).  Hope this helps.