Cruise Next deposits now expire 12/31/2099

I just got off the Pearl for a NYE cruise. Wonderful time. The Cruise Next people told me that the deposits now expire 12/31/2099. I called my PCC to confirm, which he did. Thought I share the information

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shof515 said:

they are several topics about this new changes. what very confusing is the marketing material still list the 4 year expiration date 

But in the NCL app under “My NCL” credits are shown as expiring in 2099. 

1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

But in the NCL app under “My NCL” credits are shown as expiring in 2099. 

Yet the email I received yesterday tells me they expire in 2028...then I look further and it says 2099. Who the heck knows. I'll be cruising within the next four years, G-d willing, so it don't matter to me.

Nice that the info finally made its way to the CN folks onboard! When we were on Getaway over Thanksgiving, i had a discussion with the CN crew. They were still touting 4 years then. I asked why since i had 5CN certs in my account at the time, all with a '99 expiration. At the time, they didn't know if that was going to be a permanent change or was just for previously purchased ones that were limited  because of lockdown. I did buy Haven certs onboard, and she said something to the effect, i guess we'll see what the expiration is once they hit your account. 😅

(The new ones also had a '99 expiration, not that i haven't used them already. 😁)

LOL, what will these $250 face value certs be worth in 75 years (2099) inflation adjusted ?? - if remained unused and still valid ... waiting for NCL to setup / add a contingent "beneficiary" designation (wow, it'll out live our retirement funds as long as NCL stays in business) so that it can be readily gifted to not the children, rather great grandchild or great, great grandchild, etc. etc.  

• Haha 1

Who knew this thread was going to be so entertaining?  This is a good change that's been handled poorly.   Knowing our CN will last in perpetuity should not generate posts about inflation and beneficiaries, but this is CC and there you have it.  You guys made me laugh so hard.  So awesome.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, smillerholmes said:

Who knew this thread was going to be so entertaining?

i did. i sensed it within the smithy of my soul.

anytime a post begins with something "the cruise next people" have said, i know we're in for a good time.

• Haha 2

Just a FYI - CN terms are changing way more (IMHO) than just expiration dates. They will now be known as CN Credits for anything purchased on cruises departing on or after 1/11/24.

Note the new wording: All Credits are valid for purchase of new reservations only and do not expire. Credits may not be applied to existing reservations.

Previous wording was: "A CND can only be applied to a new reservation" but we know that it has been easy to apply 1 or more to an existing reservation - or add more during a double/triple-up promo.  Looks like that's no longer the case, although it also looks like the old terms will still apply to older certificates.

Currently it's double-up for any cabin, guess it's time to add one to my June cruise!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Just a FYI - CN terms are changing way more (IMHO) than just expiration dates. They will now be known as CN Credits for anything purchased on cruises departing on or after 1/11/24.

Note the new wording: All Credits are valid for purchase of new reservations only and do not expire. Credits may not be applied to existing reservations.

Previous wording was: "A CND can only be applied to a new reservation" but we know that it has been easy to apply 1 or more to an existing reservation - or add more during a double/triple-up promo.  Looks like that's no longer the case, although it also looks like the old terms will still apply to older certificates.

Currently it's double-up for any cabin, guess it's time to add one to my June cruise!

Good catch on CREDIT. Gift certificates, like Gift Cards have very complicated Escheat laws that vary by state.  Many states treat unused cards/certs as unclaimed personal property and the value reverts to the state after a certain amount of time.  Also, certificates with expiration dates are illegal in some states.  Gift cards and gift certificates have to be accounted for on the balance sheet based on the escheat rules.  

OTH, Credits are wholly owned by the company.  The company has an obligation to honor the credits based on the stated terms and conditions.  Credits are also accounted for in a subjective manner based on historical data/trends.  The company decides how much and when they move the revenue collected for the Cruise Next credit from “unrealized revenue” to “realized revenue “.  I would not be surprised if one of the major changes would be that credits are “non-transferable”.  

Cruise Next “credits” definitely give NCLH more leeway on how they affect their bottom line.

Edited by laudergayle

UPDATE on my previous post.  I read the new T&Cs and it appears that NCL has off-loaded the future cruise “credit” issuance and management to a company named Goodwill Credit Ltd. The link they provided to contact Goodwill Credit is not a valid link (as of yet).  I couldn’t find any company info on Goodwill Credit Ltd., but I sure would want yo know more about them before I purchased the new credit…especially since NCL is absolving themselves from any liability (with the exception of applying or transferring ownership).  Legal term below:

2. All CFC(s) are issued by Goodwill Credit, Ltd. and all claims or concerns with respect to the CFC(s) (other than requests for permissible application or transfer) are to be directed to Goodwill Credit, Ltd. at www.goodwillcruisecredit.com. NCL (Bahamas) Ltd., d/b/a Norwegian Cruise Line (including its affiliates other than Goodwill Credit, Ltd.) takes no responsibility for any claim related to CFC(s), including for the loss of identifying credit information. Please contact cruisenext@ncl.comfor all requests related to onboard practices or permissible services including but not limited to application of CFC(s) and CFC transfers.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:48 AM, laudergayle said:

UPDATE on my previous post.  I read the new T&Cs and it appears that NCL has off-loaded the future cruise “credit” issuance and management to a company named Goodwill Credit Ltd. The link they provided to contact Goodwill Credit is not a valid link (as of yet).  I couldn’t find any company info on Goodwill Credit Ltd., but I sure would want yo know more about them before I purchased the new credit…especially since NCL is absolving themselves from any liability (with the exception of applying or transferring ownership).  Legal term below:

2. All CFC(s) are issued by Goodwill Credit, Ltd. and all claims or concerns with respect to the CFC(s) (other than requests for permissible application or transfer) are to be directed to Goodwill Credit, Ltd. at www.goodwillcruisecredit.com. NCL (Bahamas) Ltd., d/b/a Norwegian Cruise Line (including its affiliates other than Goodwill Credit, Ltd.) takes no responsibility for any claim related to CFC(s), including for the loss of identifying credit information. Please contact cruisenext@ncl.comfor all requests related to onboard practices or permissible services including but not limited to application of CFC(s) and CFC transfers.

Absolutely! I saw that last week and am very happy our Cruise Next Whatevers (deposit/credit/debtors) are under the old terms and conditions. I'll absolutely not be purchasing Cruise Next in the future. It's bad enough to be hopeful NCL won't go bankrupt. A weird "Good"will Credit company? Yep, not taking my chances there. Maybe future information will inspire me, but not as of yet.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Absolutely! I saw that last week and am very happy our Cruise Next Whatevers (deposit/credit/debtors) are under the old terms and conditions. I'll absolutely not be purchasing Cruise Next in the future. It's bad enough to be hopeful NCL won't go bankrupt. A weird "Good"will Credit company? Yep, not taking my chances there. Maybe future information will inspire me, but not as of yet.

IKR.  On another thread about this topic, someone discovered in the NCLH Privacy disclosures that Goodwill Credit Ltd. Is a subsidiary of NCLH.  So I am a little less concerned about future “credits”.  That being said, I doubt I will tie up $$$ in these credits going forward.  I would be ok with a CF credit if I was booking a cruise before final payment (+120 days) and the $250/$500 offer was available.  

what is interesting about Goodwill Credit is if there is ever another catastrophic event that impacts cruising, the individual cruise lines no longer have the liability for those credits. Goodwill Credit could go bankrupt (if structured properly) without affecting NCLH.  Just some bad press and lots of angry consumers…but the company would recover much more quickly since time heal all wounds. 

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

IKR.  On another thread about this topic, someone discovered in the NCLH Privacy disclosures that Goodwill Credit Ltd. Is a subsidiary of NCLH.  So I am a little less concerned about future “credits”.  That being said, I doubt I will tie up $$$ in these credits going forward.  I would be ok with a CF credit if I was booking a cruise before final payment (+120 days) and the $250/$500 offer was available.  

what is interesting about Goodwill Credit is if there is ever another catastrophic event that impacts cruising, the individual cruise lines no longer have the liability for those credits. Goodwill Credit could go bankrupt (if structured properly) without affecting NCLH.  Just some bad press and lots of angry consumers…but the company would recover much more quickly since time heal all wounds. 

Ahh, so they spun off the liability. But get to keep the income when they are used. I'm not surprised as it'll be helpful to get their balance sheet in the positive for 2024. 

Angry customers....but NCLH (would say), it's not us. It's those Goodwill peeps! Keep cruising with us! 

Alas, I'm with you. I won't say never, but I'm not going to be buying any Cruise First/Next for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I doubt there is any risk if they are applied to a future booking soon after purchase.  How long do you folks plan to hold them?  If it's several years, why buy them now?

Currently we have two Cruise Next certificates we purchased on Nov. 30th. We have no cruises booked and aren't likely to make a booking for....I don't know. A year? Two years? This year we're focusing on our vacation time on staying at home, fixing up the old place since we haven't really done a lot since moving in. 

But, we also look at cruises within final payment. If one strikes our fancy, then we might book it at 80 days our or 100 days out. We aren't interested in booking way out as we feel prices are better within final payment (I know, that's a whole 'nother conversation). And heck, maybe tomorrow we'll see a room we're interested in and book then. I dunno...but I do know it's possible we'll hang on to them for a year or two or seven now that the expiration date has changed.

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I doubt there is any risk if they are applied to a future booking soon after purchase.  How long do you folks plan to hold them?  If it's several years, why buy them now?

That will definitely be the key…buy them and apply them.  We have a CF in our account due to a canceled cruise…I just can’t find the right cruise yet!

• Like 1