Air NZ v Qantas

I'm 50/50 about them - they tried to tell me that my covid non-refundable flight to the US was non-refundable, even though they completely cancelled the flight with no alternative and notwithstanding US laws stating that all flights to, from or through the US, if cancelled by the airline, must be refunded. After much to'ing and fro'ing with Air NZ and lodging a complaint with the relevant US aviation authority, I got an apology from Air NZ and full refund 🥴

• Like 2

That's disappointing that you had to go to all that trouble. Covid caused so many problems and so much confusion. Good for you going to toe to toe and exercising your rights, Jean.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I heard so many grizzles (from this site) about Qantas during covid that I suspect they're no better in that regard. Wanted to fly Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu in October but they finish their season here just before we want to fly 😪 Things are a bit different with them now, but the first time we flew with them, in pleb class, we turned left on entering the plane, rather than right. Those rows of seats are now for an extra cost. Also, no extra charge for seat selection, bag or meal (Air NZ doesn't charge for the meal or seat but socks you for seat selection) 🥴

Haven't flown Hawaiian but really were quite impressed with Alaska Airline when we were last in the States. I'm sure I read somewhere that the two are amalgamating but still flying under their own banners. Hope the standards don't go down.

• Like 1

We have decided to fly back to Sydney after our NZ cruise with Air NZ after my sister & her husband weren't impressed with their Qantas trip from Sydney to Alice Springs (October 2022).  They'd flown from London to Sydney (Qantas) - & that flight was fine with no problems.  But it was during Qantas's policy of offering only 1 meal option (it was either vegetarian or non-vegetarian) during short flights.  She is vegetarian and unfortunately the only meal option on her flight was the non-vegetarian one, she was offered a biscuit, luckily a helpful cabin attendant eventually found an apple for her.  There were a lot of bad decisions Qantas board made during that time, I know they are trying to claw back public respect in the Qantas brand, and I may return to Qantas in the future but for this trip it'll be Air NZ.

• Like 1

I flew Sydney to Bali economy with Qantas and we couldn’t fault the service and the meal was very nice and on the return flight we did the red eye and the flight was 50/50 

On an Air NZ long haul flight, they ran out of breakfasts as they got to me - all they could give me was a muffin. Being a suspicious type I suspected that the staff had my breakfast, I could see them in the galley eating from a meal-type dish, although not what they were eating.  Not good when they surely had accurate passenger numbers. 

On another flight we paid extra for our ticket to include a meal. We had lunch which included a small filled roll and a few other bits and pieces. A couple of women across the aisle asked if there were any to spare and the obliging steward brought them a couple of filled rolls - gratis.  They gobbled them down and announced that they weren't impressed and were glad they hadn't paid for the meal.  In my opinion that shouldn't have been allowed, it's not fair to those who forked out for meals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean C said:

We've pipped Quantas at the post for world's safest airline, although Qantas and Virgin took out second and third places - I guess Air NZ has a modest number of flights compared to many other places though 🤔

https://nz.yahoo.com/finance/news/qantas-loses-crown-as-worlds-safest-airline-233723246.html

Screenshot_20240106-143413_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good for NZ!  For me however and as unpopular as my opinion seems to be, I'm a QANTAS girl all the way wherever possible.  Certainly domestically, would consider anything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Good for NZ!  For me however and as unpopular as my opinion seems to be, I'm a QANTAS girl all the way wherever possible.  Certainly domestically, would consider anything else.

For me, I'm practical. Being in NZ, long haul Qantas involves a longer flight (via Aus) and consequently costs more. Also, for trips to Aus, should a scheduled plane have technical problems, Air NZ could probably rustle up another plane more readily than Qantas could in NZ.

I flew to the UK years ago on Qantas, the plane seemed older and shabbier (that may have been addressed more recently). Also the return plane had technical problems and we had to wait for ages and ages for a replacement, all without even some complimentary water (no fountains in the departure lounge).

I'd happily fly with them again though if they could beat Air NZ on price 💰 

8 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I'd happily fly with them again though if they could beat Air NZ on price 💰 

A very practical consideration.  Having said that, I'm sorry for your negative experience.

• Like 1

Qantas is Qantas in name only now, unfortunately.  It is no longer the National Carrier.  We don't have one.  It is sad to watch the demise of Qantas.  I'd start with "happy staff"! 

Some of my happiest flight memories are with Qantas overseas.  Its staff were its greatest asset.  I still smile when I think of the steward who gave us a Cook'w tour in the dark on flight from NY to LAX en route long haul to Australia.  Boarding had been bedlam with luggage banking up everywhere at check in, so exhausted passengers.