Iona help for first time P and O cruiser

We are regular cruisers looking to do our first P and O cruise on Iona - 35 nights Jan 2025. We have some specific questions

Cabins : are all balconies bed by the bath? My wife uses a Rollator and we prefer bed by the balcony. Mini suites are out as we need a shower not a shower over the bath.

MDR. If we choose Any Time can we pre book a time for every night? We like 6.30 sharing a table of 6 - with different people.

MDR: Dress Code : is a jacket compulsory on Black Tie nights?

Coffee shop. We don't drink alcohol and a great coffee shop is  essential - Cafe Al Bacio on Celebrity or International Cafe on Princess. Approx prices for Latte would be helpful.

Main Theatre: times of the main shows:

Any other tips advice welcome.

Thanks Geoff and the boss  (Anita).

On  anothere site there is list of Iona beds by the balcony or wardrobe.

All dining is Freedom/Anytimee on Iona. I think of you ask the restaurant Manager when you board you can book a table at set time as long as it is by 6.30. Or if you join a virtual queue at about 5.30 you should be seated by 6.30. The MDRs are very busy early on and open at 6

Yes jacket is required on black tie night

The cafe in the atrium sells costa coffee, I think you can get it in most of the bars. Same price as on land.

Shows are mainly 6.30 and 8.30

Have look at the Iona boards reviews and Live From  on Cruse critic

55 minutes ago, the penguins said:

We are regular cruisers looking to do our first P and O cruise on Iona - 35 nights Jan 2025. We have some specific questions

Cabins : are all balconies bed by the bath? My wife uses a Rollator and we prefer bed by the balcony. Mini suites are out as we need a shower not a shower over the bath.

MDR. If we choose Any Time can we pre book a time for every night? We like 6.30 sharing a table of 6 - with different people.

Coffee shop. We don't drink alcohol and a great coffee shop is  essential - Cafe Al Bacio on Celebrity or International Cafe on Princess. Approx prices for Latte would be helpful.

See this for where bed is 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2980071-iona-411-cabins/#comment-66614370

mini suites on Iona have separate shower, no bath. 

55 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

All dining is Freedom/Anytimee on Iona. I think of you ask the restaurant Manager when you board you can book a table at set time as long as it is by 6.30. Or if you join a virtual queue at about 5.30 you should be seated by 6.30. The MDRs are very busy early on and open at 6

The cafe in the atrium sells costa coffee, I think you can get it in most of the bars. Same price as on land.

There are also some 10.30pm theatre shows 

6.30pm should be a time you can reserve every night at least for yourselves and possibly to share with 4 others if others have requested the same

It's later times that you might have to use the app for. But it's easy to use anyway. If not there will be people on the ship who can help you make your reservations

We are looking at the same cruise. It's fantastic value for money

There will be very few families at all on that trip - mainly couples and singles so should be a very calm environment

It's a lovely ship with lots of other dining options and entertainment options to try if you are inclined

55 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

See this for where bed is 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2980071-iona-411-cabins/#comment-66614370

mini suites on Iona have separate shower, no bath. 

thanks. We were understood that all the mini suites had showers over the bath i.e. exactly as on Sky Princess looks as if it might be an option. Back to the research.

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

thanks very helpful.

From what you say you can't prebook the dining before boarding the ship which is a shame. Hoped it would be like Celebrity (pre book as soon as you book the cruise, or Princess as soon as you have paid the final balance)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, the penguins said:

thanks very helpful.

From what you say you can't prebook the dining before boarding the ship which is a shame. Hoped it would be like Celebrity (pre book as soon as you book the cruise, or Princess as soon as you have paid the final balance)

You can pre-book speciality restaurants and theatre and on your first day could organise MDR for the whole trip with a short conversation I'm sure

Based on the times you are looking for

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

18 minutes ago, the penguins said:

thanks very helpful.

Dining reservations open up about two weeks before your cruise, on your Cruise Planner. In our experience, booking for the MDRs by that method for both Iona and Arvia has been hit and miss; available on a couple of cruises but not on others. If it is available for your cruise, it will only be for the earlier slots, pre 18:30, which would suit you.  Fear not though; given your willingness to share a table, I don't think you will have much of a problem with getting a reservation for 18:30 in any of the four MDRs, by entering the virtual queue on the My Holiday app/non-app, or by speaking with a restaurant host.

39 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

You can pre-book speciality restaurants and theatre and on your first day could organise MDR for the whole trip with a short conversation I'm sure

ICF, will you please stop encouraging people to pre book the MDR.  The virtual queuing system will never work efficiently as long as pre booking and walk ups are encouraged.🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

thanks very helpful.

Hi yes that's right but that might change in the future

Posted (edited)

thanks. We were understood that all the mini suites had showers over the bath i.e. exactly as on Sky Princess looks as if it might be an option. Back to the research.

Iona is a totally different ship and layout to Sky Princess. Check some videos on you tube. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, the penguins said:

We stayed in a conservatory cabin on Iona in 2022. Here’s a link to our cabin video. We had a shower, no bath.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

ICF, will you please stop encouraging people to pre book the MDR.  The virtual queuing system will never work efficiently as long as pre booking and walk ups are encouraged.🤪

when you have mobility and other issues being able to prebook and then, as with both Celebrity and Princess, to arrange to have the same table makes the world of difference not only to us but to the restaurant staff and our table companions. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

We stayed in a conservatory cabin on Iona in 2022. Here’s a link to our cabin video. We had a shower, no bath.

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

Dining reservations open up about two weeks before your cruise, on your Cruise Planner. In our experience, booking for the MDRs by that method for both Iona and Arvia has been hit and miss; available on a couple of cruises but not on others. If it is available for your cruise, it will only be for the earlier slots, pre 18:30, which would suit you.  Fear not though; given your willingness to share a table, I don't think you will have much of a problem with getting a reservation for 18:30 in any of the four MDRs, by entering the virtual queue on the My Holiday app/non-app, or by speaking with a restaurant host.

thanks. 

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

we hadn't realised we had to prebook the theatre, not something we have experienced before. Does this apply to every show? Are the seats for the disabled  also bookable or just general seating?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, the penguins said:

when you have mobility and other issues being able to prebook and then, as with both Celebrity and Princess, to arrange to have the same table makes the world of difference not only to us but to the restaurant staff and our table companions. 

My wife is confined to a wheelchair, wich is why we prefer to keep our dining as flexible as possible, and decide our dining time at the last minute.  But with lots of empty tables being kept for pre bookings that does add long waiting times to the virtual queuing.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

we hadn't realised we had to prebook the theatre, not something we have experienced before. Does this apply to every show? Are the seats for the disabled  also bookable or just general seating?

It's just general seating you can pre-book which works for us as we like to arrive as late as poss. It's not designed seats just availability you are pre-booking

Passengers who need accessible seats on here will advise to just arrive earlier (they open the doors 30 mins before) to ensure you get a space

Shame they can't yet let people reserve disabled seats like the rest of us can reserve seats IMO

You don't have to, but it is recommended for some shows.

Pre-cruise you will likely only be able to book for several shows in the Headliners theatre for the first week.

You will also be able to book for the Limelight Club through your Cruise Planner.

Once onboard, or even before you get onboard if you manage to get onto the ship's WiFi whilst in the terminal, all the shows for the Headliners theatre and the 710 Club will be available to book through the My Holiday app/non-app.  It is only these, and the dinner show in the Limelight Club, that you are able to book for.  Entertainment at all other venues is not bookable, but you may be advised to get to a particular venue early to secure a seat/table

You will find that you will still be able to book for Headliners throughout your cruise, but it is very likely that all sets in the 710 Club apart from the 00:15 one will show as full from the second day.  The trouble is that there are a few selfish folk (surprisingly they do exist) that will book for everything they can and not cancel if they know they can no longer attend.

With regard to Headliners, if you haven't booked and just turn up, it is more likely than not that you will be allowed entry. You may be asked to wait until just before the show starts to make sure late arriving bookers get in, or you may be allowed straight in if it is clear that the show is undersubscribed; it depends on the host I suppose. You cannot book the wheelchair or ambulant disabled seats, so it is advisable to get there a bit early to secure them. There are at the back of the theatre on both port and starboard if you enter from deck 7, or at the front if you enter from deck 6.

With regard to the 710 Club, it is possible to get in without booking but you have to be a bit canny about it. The doors open about half an hour before the set starts, so you need to be lurking in the Amber  Lounge before they do. Approach the host and ask to be put on the standby list; then remain nearby. About five or ten minutes before the set starts they will start calling forward those on the standby list, in strict order. If you are one of the first ten on the list there is a high probability that you will get in, and if you are one of the first four you will almost certainly get in.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My wife is confined to a wheelchair, wich is why we prefer to keep our dining as flexible as possible, and decide our dining time at the last minute.  But with lots of empty tables being kept for pre bookings that does add long waiting times to the virtual queuing.

doing what works best for you is the perfect solution. We prefer the method I described. No right or wrong just choices which is perfect.

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

You don't have to, but it is recommended for some shows.

Pre-cruise you will likely only be able to book for several shows in the Headliners theatre for the first week.

You will also be able to book for the Limelight Club through your Cruise Planner.

Once onboard, or even before you get onboard if you manage to get onto the ship's WiFi whilst in the terminal, all the shows for the Headliners theatre and the 710 Club will be available to book through the My Holiday app/non-app.  It is only these, and the dinner show in the Limelight Club, that you are able to book for.  Entertainment at all other venues is not bookable, but you may be advised to get to a particular venue early to secure a seat/table

You will find that you will still be able to book for Headliners throughout your cruise, but it is very likely that all sets in the 710 Club apart from the 00:15 one will show as full from the second day.  The trouble is that there are a few selfish folk (surprisingly they do exist) that will book for everything they can and not cancel if they know they can no longer attend.

With regard to Headliners, if you haven't booked and just turn up, it is more likely than not that you will be allowed entry. You may be asked to wait until just before the show starts to make sure late arriving bookers get in, or you may be allowed straight in if it is clear that the show is undersubscribed; it depends on the host I suppose. You cannot book the wheelchair or ambulant disabled seats, so it is advisable to get there a bit early to secure them. There are at the back of the theatre on both port and starboard if you enter from deck 7, or at the front if you enter from deck 6.

With regard to the 710 Club, it is possible to get in without booking but you have to be a bit canny about it. The doors open about half an hour before the set starts, so you need to be lurking in the Amber  Lounge before they do. Approach the host and ask to be put on the standby list; then remain nearby. About five or ten minutes before the set starts they will start calling forward those on the standby list, in strict order. If you are one of the first ten on the list there is a high probability that you will get in, and if you are one of the first four you will almost certainly get in.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Taking everything  into account we have decided that at over £10,000 to get us even close to the cabin we want and with all the other "little niggles" (jackets, paying for internet, lattes, and water, theatre times and possibly having to book for the shows etc) P and O, at least for the cruise were looking at, is not for us. 

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

doing what works best for you is the perfect solution. We prefer the method I described. No right or wrong just choices which is perfect.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Taking everything  into account we have decided that at over £10,000 to get us even close to the cabin we want and with all the other "little niggles" (jackets, paying for internet, lattes, and water, theatre times and possibly having to book for the shows etc) P and O, at least for the cruise were looking at, is not for us. 

Wow that's more than 6k more than we are planning to pay for our inside saver for the same cruise

However, I totally understand you will have cabin requirements to help your wife

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

That's a shame, but if you're paying so much to be on a ship for 35 days, especially if it's a brand you haven't tried before, you need to have the confidence that it will tick most if not all of your boxes.

Here's a suggestion...

If you have the opportunity to do so, why not try a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Iona?  That way, you can sample the brand over one week and, at about £2,000 for a balcony cabin (much less on a saver fare), you won't have the anxiety of shelling out so much for your first P&O cruise.  

A 3/4 European dash would be even cheaper.

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

That's a shame, but if you're paying so much to be on a ship for 35 days, especially if it's a brand you haven't tried before, you need to have the confidence that it will tick most if not all of your boxes.

Here's a suggestion...

If you have the opportunity to do so, why not try a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Iona?  That way, you can sample the brand over one week and, at about £2,000 for a balcony cabin (much less on a saver fare), you won't have the anxiety of shelling out so much for your first P&O cruise.  

A 3/4 European dash would be even cheaper.

We love the Norwegian Fjords but none of the big ships really do them justice. Hurtgruten goes to 35 ports in 12 days and  includes hours of sailing every day along Fjords that are impossible for any large ship to attempt. We went over Christmas/New Year. Highlights included Christmas Day sledding with Huskies , midnight exclusive concert in Tromso, several nights watching the Northern Lights (free 7 night cruise if the lights don't appear ).

Regretably short cruises no longer have any appeal due to mobility and pain management issues. Thanks again for your suggestions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Wow that's more than 6k more than we are planning to pay for our inside saver for the same cruise

However, I totally understand you will have cabin requirements to help your wife

Regretably inside cabins are now impossible as on sea days we spend a minimum of 3 to 4 hours relaxing on our balcony. Also for your fare the ship chooses your cabin which again is a potential problem. 

• Like 1

When we were on Iona and Arvia the guest artist shows were 6.45, 8.30 and 10.30.  as the Headliners ( ships singers and dancers) shows are popular they are over two nights on the big ships and were at 8.30 and 10.30 for each show.