Things to Know about Sailing from New York/New Jersey Ports

Two contributing factors... # 1 Old Age!  # 2 Inexperienced Uber User.  As soon as we exited the port, schlepping 3 pieces of luggage each, we called for an Uber (not realizing that we needed to be on the other side of the street).  As soon as I booked the Uber, the driver called.  So, I'm on my cell phone talking to the Driver realizing that he was across the street.  My wife is mobility challenging having had two knee replacements over the past few years.  She is schlepping her 3 pieces of luggage.  While on the phone with the driver, we are trying to cross the street - heavy pedestrian traffic & heavy vehicle traffic dragging luggage on wheels over an uneven paved surface (picture luggage falling over in the middle of the street).  The whole time the driver is on the phone complaining he is double-parked and can't stay there long - HURRY UP!  We finally figure out where the Uber driver is and get across the street.  Everything then calms down.  If I just would have waited to call the Uber until we were across the street, everything would have been fine but someone told me to call my Uber as soon as I got out of the terminal - big mistake!

Dennis

• Like 1

Just now, 1aCruise4wks said:

Two contributing factors... # 1 Old Age!  # 2 Inexperienced Uber User.  As soon as we exited the port, schlepping 3 pieces of luggage each, we called for an Uber (not realizing that we needed to be on the other side of the street).  As soon as I booked the Uber, the driver called.  So, I'm on my cell phone talking to the Driver realizing that he was across the street.  My wife is mobility challenging having had two knee replacements over the past few years.  She is schlepping her 3 pieces of luggage.  While on the phone with the driver, we are trying to cross the street - heavy pedestrian traffic & heavy vehicle traffic dragging luggage on wheels over an uneven paved surface (picture luggage falling over in the middle of the street).  The whole time the driver is on the phone complaining he is double-parked and can't stay there long - HURRY UP!  We finally figure out where the Uber driver is and get across the street.  Everything then calms down.  If I just would have waited to call the Uber until we were across the street, everything would have been fine but someone told me to call my Uber as soon as I got out of the terminal - big mistake!

Dennis

ahh, got it.  Yeah, now knowing this it will make a big difference for you.sucks that the driver treated you that way.  I walked to the train station.  and you're right, once you get past the throng of drivers looking to offer you a ride, things are normal

• 4 weeks later...

People might also want to consider the West Side YMCA, located on 63rd Street off of Central Park West.  Many of the rooms have a shared bath, but you can pay more for a private bath.  It is a great location for sightseeing and near many subways and busses.  It is also clean and safe.