Things to Know about Sailing from New York/New Jersey Ports

Hi Everyone,

Just put a blog post together about information you should know if you are sailing from the New York/New Jersey ports. Hopefully this answers your questions about location, parking, transportation and which cruise lines sail from which ports. 

Hope you enjoy and that this helps! 

https://thehappiesttravels.com/2024/01/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-cruising-from-new-york-new-jersey/

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, jenngirl said:

Hi Everyone,

Just put a blog post together about information you should know if you are sailing from the New York/New Jersey ports. Hopefully this answers your questions about location, parking, transportation and which cruise lines sail from which ports. 

Hope you enjoy and that this helps! 

https://thehappiesttravels.com/2024/01/06/what-you-need-to-know-about-cruising-from-new-york-new-jersey/

Thanks, but you have incorrect daily parking rates at all three cruise terminals. Manhattan and Brooklyn are $45 per day and Cape Liberty is $30 per day. 

Further, parking reservations are now taken for many embarkation dates at both the Manhattan and Brooklyn terminals, and for some cruise dates the  reserved parking for cruises longer than 7 days only costs the 7 day rate of $315. For example parking for a 10 day cruise that would cost $450 based on the daily rate would only cost $315 at the reserved parking rate for certain dates.

Edited by njhorseman

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Thanks, but you have incorrect daily parking rates at all three cruise terminals. Manhattan and Brooklyn are $45 per day and Cape Liberty is $30 per day. 

Further, parking reservations are now taken for many embarkation dates at both the Manhattan and Brooklyn terminals, and for some cruise dates the  reserved parking for cruises longer than 7 days only costs the 7 day rate of $315. For example parking for a 10 day cruise that would cost $450 based on the daily rate would only cost $315 at the reserved parking rate for certain dates.

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing. I had prior pricing so I made those changes to reflect the updates. I appreciate it! You of course can make reservations for lots of them now like you said. I know some people don’t make these decisions until last minute so it was more of just a generic statement that I wanted to put out there. We love when there’s a discount for parking! Wish everyone did it! Thanks again! 

On 1/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, njhorseman said:

I googled a bit because I wanted to reserve parking and couldn’t figure out which was the official pier parking lot and what was just nearby. I have limited mobility and need to be in the closest parking. Do you know the correct website or phone number for the Manhattan terminal? 

4 minutes ago, socston said:

I googled a bit because I wanted to reserve parking and couldn’t figure out which was the official pier parking lot and what was just nearby. I have limited mobility and need to be in the closest parking. Do you know the correct website or phone number for the Manhattan terminal? 

The official website is nycruise.com. Click on Manhattan Terminal Parking and you'll see a link for making parking reservations if you wish to reserve a spot, although reservations aren't required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The official website is nycruise.com. Click on Manhattan Terminal Parking and you'll see a link for making parking reservations if you wish to reserve a spot, although reservations aren't required. 

Thank you! I will reserve just in case, I have the worst luck in the world and need as much preplanned and confirmed as possible, lol. 

18 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

We booked a cruise on Carnival next September and the hotel you recommended is $400+ a night. Any other recommendations for cruising and sightseeing. We’re thinking of coming in a few days early. 
Thanks 

Jen 

September is high season in NYC, what is your budget?

Are you okay with staying outside Manhattan and traveling by subway to the sites?

19 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

We booked a cruise on Carnival next September and the hotel you recommended is $400+ a night. Any other recommendations for cruising and sightseeing. We’re thinking of coming in a few days early. 
Thanks 

Jen 

What's your exact dates and how many beds are needed?

On 1/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, Indiansbaseball said:

Thanks 

Jen 

Those are after the UN opening, New York Fashion Week, and the US Open, so that's good. But September has always been crazy stupid in NYC, especially Manhattan. Just to confirm, by "next September" you mean this fall, or literally September of 2025 (next year)?

19 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

September 25-27 1 bed …. $200-300. Totally okay with the subway. 
Thanks

If being close to the terminal is important, there is a Comfort Inn on 48th near the river that is ok.  But for 2 days I think you'd rather be more centrally located, so maybe consider The Edison or even the Crowne Plaza near Times Square.  If you like a 'cool vibe', the Royalton should work with or near your budget

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

If being close to the terminal is important, there is a Comfort Inn on 48th near the river that is ok.  But for 2 days I think you'd rather be more centrally located, so maybe consider The Edison or even the Crowne Plaza near Times Square.  If you like a 'cool vibe', the Royalton should work with or near your budget

I agree, there is really no good reason to chose a Manhattan hotel based on it being located near the cruise terminal.

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I agree, there is really no good reason to chose a Manhattan hotel based on it being located near the cruise terminal.

And, if you are at all interested in a good New York experience, there is very good reason NOT to stay at a hotel near the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

I have been to NYC several times in the past. Hubby has not. Seeing some of the sights are very important. Subway was easy to use when I was last there, I’m sure it hasn't changed. Just need to find a clean cheaper place to sleep. Thanks !

30 minutes ago, Indiansbaseball said:

I have been to NYC several times in the past. Hubby has not. Seeing some of the sights are very important. Subway was easy to use when I was last there, I’m sure it hasn't changed. Just need to find a clean cheaper place to sleep. Thanks !

When was your last time in NYC? $400 is kind of the new $250. Not saying you can't get there under $300, but if you're there two nights, have to stay in Queens, spend the time getting into Manhattan, and one of you has never been to New York, I'd probably try to stretch my budget if at all possible. As a for instance, I just checked one of my favorite Midtown properties and it's almost 3X what I paid two weeks ago for your dates. There was a time where I'd expect that to come down as it got closer. Not so much these days.

I'd look at Nitemare's suggestions and see if any of them work. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, markeb said:

When was your last time in NYC? $400 is kind of the new $250. Not saying you can't get there under $300, but if you're there two nights, have to stay in Queens, spend the time getting into Manhattan, and one of you has never been to New York, I'd probably try to stretch my budget if at all possible. As a for instance, I just checked one of my favorite Midtown properties and it's almost 3X what I paid two weeks ago for your dates. There was a time where I'd expect that to come down as it got closer. Not so much these days.

I'd look at Nitemare's suggestions and see if any of them work. 

I guess I’m suffering from sticker shock. I appreciate the wake up call. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

I guess I’m suffering from sticker shock. I appreciate the wake up call. 

I had to look. We're spending at least one and maybe two nights (two reservations while we make up our mind) in Columbus in April. The Courtyard Downtown is $327 + parking for the Sunday night. In fairness, it's a 1/2 mile from Nationwide Arena and Bruce is playing that night (which is why we're there), but downtown Columbus ain't Midtown Manhattan!

20 hours ago, markeb said:

I had to look. We're spending at least one and maybe two nights (two reservations while we make up our mind) in Columbus in April. The Courtyard Downtown is $327 + parking for the Sunday night. In fairness, it's a 1/2 mile from Nationwide Arena and Bruce is playing that night (which is why we're there), but downtown Columbus ain't Midtown Manhattan!

Good thing I live here and don’t have to stay in a hotel. Enjoy the concert !

We stayed at the Red Lion Inn in Long island City last September for our cruise on the Venezia.  $30.00 cab ride from LaGuardia and 150 yards from the subway.

Watch the prices on Priceline.  We got a clean room in an older hotel for $135.00.  Subway was easy to catch and took us into Times Square in 10 minutes.

Enter a lottery for a Broadway show and life is good.  We've always gotten tickets that way.  Lots of people on here mean well, but will tell you how to spend as much money as possible.  New York can be conquered easily on a budget.  Trade offs?  Sure, but well worth it IMO.

It would be great if you would expand your article to include information about returning from your cruise in New York City.  We recently did a cruise out of Manhattan and I was totally confused upon our return.  Walking out of the cruise terminal, I did not expect what I was about to experience.  If I knew how it was going to be, it wouldn't have been such a nightmare!  Uber can't pick you up at the terminal, the porters only take your luggage to the curb outside the terminal, there are a million taxi's, Uber's, Lyft's, Limo's, and private vehicle across the street from the terminal (which is where you have to go!).  Whew... can't believe we survived it!

Dennis

1 hour ago, 1aCruise4wks said:

It would be great if you would expand your article to include information about returning from your cruise in New York City.  We recently did a cruise out of Manhattan and I was totally confused upon our return.  Walking out of the cruise terminal, I did not expect what I was about to experience.  If I knew how it was going to be, it wouldn't have been such a nightmare!  Uber can't pick you up at the terminal, the porters only take your luggage to the curb outside the terminal, there are a million taxi's, Uber's, Lyft's, Limo's, and private vehicle across the street from the terminal (which is where you have to go!).  Whew... can't believe we survived it!

Dennis

If you have any future questions I suggest you just ask on this board. We have numerous locals and frequent cruisers who answer questions here every day and have a very good idea of what's actually going on at the moment.

While someone's blog can be helpful, information can change from time to time and a blog may not be updated on any regular basis.

On 1/27/2024 at 3:43 PM, 1aCruise4wks said:

Dennis

curious what what so bad for you?  I just returned from a cruise in New York yesterday and it was my first time in on a NY cruise.  Besides having to say "no thank you" about 10 times or so to the drivers, it was no problem at all for me.  I didn't know what to expect, but that was nothing.