Amtrak from Delaware to NY Cruise Port on Embarkation Day?

27 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

She's up north, around 193rd & Broadway. I honestly have no clue how long it would take. NYC is still confusing to me as it seems so much larger in person than on a map. I'll just schedule an Uber to make sure we arrive by 4am.

Its pretty up there but still only about 25-30 minutes to Penn Station. Moynihan Train Hall, which is where Amtrak operates from, is technically closed to the public from 1am til 5am. You don't need to be there a whole hour before-- they'll announce the train and start moving you to the platform about 10-15 minutes before departure. If it were me I would leave her place around 345-4 and be there 415-430. Will be plenty of time. 

32 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Bagels and coffee sound like a great plan. We'll just drop off the luggage and then do that. I know I'll need the coffee just to be upright at that time of day (especially as it'll feel an hour earlier to my Central time body).

Moynihan is technically closed until departure time for your train-- I haven't been on one that early in New York since the new train hall opened so not sure if Red Cap (baggage) service will be available in the old Penn Station) or if it will be available at all at that hour. 

34 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Because I am a planner I did book the tickets and we got exactly what you suggest: 2 together facing direction of travel without a table and right before the Cafe car. That part I might reconsider, though, because I don't want to be disturbed by lots of folks heading to the Cafe car.

There won't be much activity headed in and out of the cafe car-- most of the train will be asleep as soon as people get on board at that hour. They do have some decent breakfast sandwiches and the coffee is decent but pastries and such on board leave a little to be desired. 

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Moynihan is technically closed until departure time for your train-- I haven't been on one that early in New York since the new train hall opened so not sure if Red Cap (baggage) service will be available in the old Penn Station) or if it will be available at all at that hour. 

Per Amtrak, all services should be available at NY Penn between 1am and 5am.

https://www.amtrak.com/moynihan-train-hall

Hours of Operations

Moynihan Train Hall is open to the public daily from 5 am through 1 am and closed to the public between 1 am and 5 am. Between 1 am and 5 am, all Amtrak operations are handled at New York Penn Station, including baggage, Red Cap services, access and egress to platforms.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Per Amtrak, all services should be available at NY Penn between 1am and 5am.

https://www.amtrak.com/moynihan-train-hall

Right-- but train 2190 departs at 5:05am. Not sure if that's a cheeky way for Amtrak to say Moynihan is closed til 5am but still have the first Acela of the day depart from it. 

9 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Right-- but train 2190 departs at 5:05am. Not sure if that's a cheeky way for Amtrak to say Moynihan is closed til 5am but still have the first Acela of the day depart from it. 

Beats me...like you I haven't been in NY that early, but if Moynihan is actually closed to public access until 5 am as they claim it would be quite a feat to have a 5:05 am train board from there rather than the old station.

1 hour ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

She's up north, around 193rd & Broadway. I honestly have no clue how long it would take. NYC is still confusing to me as it seems so much larger in person than on a map. I'll just schedule an Uber to make sure we arrive by 4am.

Bagels and coffee sound like a great plan. We'll just drop off the luggage and then do that. I know I'll need the coffee just to be upright at that time of day (especially as it'll feel an hour earlier to my Central time body).

Because I am a planner I did book the tickets and we got exactly what you suggest: 2 together facing direction of travel without a table and right before the Cafe car. That part I might reconsider, though, because I don't want to be disturbed by lots of folks heading to the Cafe car.

Thanks again!

If you're going to be sleeping (you hope) anyway, look at rebooking in Car 2 (the Quiet Car). No talking, cell phone use, etc. And the conductors generally take that seriously. You can do that in the app.

I "think" that train originates in New York, not Washington (many of the NB Acelas originate in DC). If you are earliesh and get a red cap, you'll be on the train and asleep before they start official boarding. But there's no reason to be there an hour early. Thirty minutes (maybe 40 if it does start at Moynihan) is the earliest a red cap can get you down.

If Google is right, H&H opens at 6:00 😬...