Amtrak from Delaware to NY Cruise Port on Embarkation Day?

I am sailing on the NCL Getaway from 3/31-4/7 from New York. I booked an incredibly cheap $25 Amtrak ticket for the morning of Embarkation Day, which will arrive in New York at 10:45. Our ship does not depart until 4:00 PM. Is this plan risky at all? I can drive if I have to, but want to avoid parking costs.
image.png.6408bb10e8109f81ca1342e01bddbf2c.png

1 minute ago, drew69 said:

That should work fine.  Exit into 8th Ave and jump in a taxi.  Just be prepared if Amtrak cancels or delays excessively to jump in the car and drive.

We were thinking Uber, is the taxi a better option?

Just now, Bluehens12 said:

We were thinking Uber, is the taxi a better option?

In NYC, it is much easier to just get in the taxi line and in a taxi.  I rarely use Uber in Manhattan as it takes longer

• Like 1

What could possibly go wrong with taking Amtrak? 😆 I suppose it's different in the NE, but here in the Midwest, we would never, ever base any type of schedule on Amtrak.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

What could possibly go wrong with taking Amtrak? 😆 I suppose it's different in the NE, but here in the Midwest, we would never, ever base any type of schedule on Amtrak.

It’s pretty good here, at least the northeast corridor. My daughter used to take it from Delaware to Newark NJ in undergrad, and now Newark NJ to Boston for grad school, never had an issue. It’s only a 2 hour trip from DE to NY, and on the off chance of a closure the OP can just drive.

1 hour ago, Bluehens12 said:

which will arrive in New York at 10:45. Our ship does not depart until 4:00 PM. Is this plan risky at all?

IMHO, yes there is some risk.  Not high probability, but high impact if it burns you.

Amtrak suffers frequent delays, and the delay may not be known in advance of boarding/or far enough in advance to change plan to driving.  Amtrak's overall on-time arrival rate is 75%.  Amtrak Statistics

If the ship departs at 4PM, all aboard time is 2 PM. 

If Amtrak is on time, you are good - 3 Hours and 15 minutes to de-train, get to a taxi or Uber, drive to the terminal, drop your luggage, and get into the terminal/processed.  You are also likely fine with a 1+ hour delay, other than perhaps some extra stress.  

If a delay approaches 2 hours, I hope you can run fast while towing luggage.

2 hours ago, IAcruising said:

That's what I was thinking, LOL.  I love taking Amtrak but I know better than to make plans that require a certain arrival time 😛

totally fine.  like you said, if something goes wrong with Amtrak that  morning, you can catch a bus or drive, in addition to the many trains that run.  I"m doing the same for my cruise next week, except I'm getting on the train in DC.  I'm scheduled to get into NY at 10, which for me is early as I don't like getting to the port before Noon.  I'll find a bagel shop or something to hang out a little before walking over to the port

it is indeed different in the northeast. the northeast corridor route (washington to boston) is generally well run, generally on time... and the revenue keeps much of the rest of the system afloat. the "high speed" acela service is even more reliable. very little risk you'll be delayed, but it's not a zero per cent chance.

as for the distance between the train terminal and the cruise ship terminal... it's a relatively short walk if you're not overburdened with luggage and are ambulatory. it's about 18 - 20 city blocks.

3 hours ago, drew69 said:

In NYC, it is much easier to just get in the taxi line and in a taxi.  I rarely use Uber in Manhattan as it takes longer

This.  There are taxi stands at Penn.  As said, use the 8th Avenue exit and it is only a short ride uptown.  Tell the driver to drop you across the street from the cruise terminal so you don't get involved in the traffic.  Keep in mind that you have to be there two hours before sailing but you should have plenty of time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Amtrak owns the tracks between Boston and Washington DC-- in the Midwest, Amtrak runs their trains based on the freight line's schedule that own the track there. Outside of the Northeast Corridor Amtrak trains are always prioritized second to the freight trains that run there which is why delays outside of the Northeast Corridor are far more common. 

• Like 1

There is always some risk, but from Delaware to NYC Amtrak is generally reliable.  Personally, I prefer spending a day in any interesting port before a sailing, more to see the place as for insurance, but still.

Why not consider getting a taste of NYC as long as you are going to be there anyway?

18 hours ago, IAcruising said:

I am on the NE Corridor. I NEVER take Amtrak the day I need to be someplace.  One disabled train in the tunnel or a signal issue or downed branches or wires or trespassers and you're screwed.  And at least one of those things happens almost daily.

As for getting to the pier, cabs from NY Penn are 100% easier to find versus Uber/Lyft.  Too many people, too much mayhem.

1 hour ago, megr1125 said:

I am on the NE Corridor. I NEVER take Amtrak the day I need to be someplace.  One disabled train in the tunnel or a signal issue or downed branches or wires or trespassers and you're screwed.  And at least one of those things happens almost daily.

Thats a big exaggeration. I take the Acela and Northeast Regional trains on the NE Corridor several times a week. Major delays are rare. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Thats a big exaggeration. I take the Acela and Northeast Regional trains on the NE Corridor several times a week. Major delays are rare. 

NYC news is my local news, so I get daily updates on nj transit, Amtrak, subways, and while it happens it’s not often, usually weather or person on the tracks.

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

THIS!!!

• Like 1

I've taken Acela dozens of times between WDC and NYP and have had, I think, two delays of less than an hour each. I would be more concerned about delays with literally any other mode of transportation between DC (or Delaware, in your case) and NYC.

• Like 2

Take Amtrak one day before embarkation and stay in a midtown Manhattan for one night. Check in at the hotel, drop off your bags and take a walk and find someplace to have dinner. Have a good nights sleep and wake up refreshed and ready for your cruise.

14 hours ago, el8 said:

I've taken Acela dozens of times between WDC and NYP and have had, I think, two delays of less than an hour each. I would be more concerned about delays with literally any other mode of transportation between DC (or Delaware, in your case) and NYC.

Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to call out driving...like the time I drove from Hartford, CT to Midtown. That was a seven hour drive. It's supposed to be just over two hours. I would have missed the literal boat that day. 

I'd trust Amtrak over driving in the Northeast Corridor any day. 

• Like 3

I travel the northeast corridor from Trenton to New Haven, most times on Public Transit (NJT/MNRR) but when I can buy well in advance Amtrak is cheaper then them.

From my experience, there is no daily occurrence of delayed trains. There are choke points like only two tracks under the north river (Hudson) but even then it is rare that I have significant delay. Plan an early trip will cover 95% of the issues and the other 5% just can't insurance. Delays on common carriers like Amtrak are covered by most cruise insurance plans (don't by from the cruise line).

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you! I've been waiting for someone to call out driving...

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'd trust Amtrak over driving in the Northeast Corridor any day. 

Any drive on I-95 between any two points between Boston, MA and Richmond, VA is best avoided.  I happen to live within a couple of miles of two CT I-95 exits.  It really pays to get a grasp of the local roads - generally doubling the distance by using local roads will save half the time (and a whole lot of frustration).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1