Requesting a specific MDR table

Has anyone tried to reserve a specific MDR table when initially booking? Is that a request that can even be made? Or do we have to wait until we get onboard to get our assigned table? I downloaded the MDR layouts for our next three cruises and know exactly where I'd prefer to be seated. 🙂 

I haven't.  I have though been asked, when booking cruises onboard, if we prefer a certain table in the MDR so I assume from that comment that it is possible.

I am hoping others will comment that it is as we have discussed possibly availing of fixed dining on any future cruises.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jacqueet said:

Has anyone tried to reserve a specific MDR table when initially booking? Is that a request that can even be made? Or do we have to wait until we get onboard to get our assigned table? I downloaded the MDR layouts for our next three cruises and know exactly where I'd prefer to be seated. 🙂 

Assuming its probably a window table? They get dozens of those requests...almost everyone wants to sit by a window.

After 27 cruises, a window seat is usually not our goal. We usually seek tables for 2 where we can people watch well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

Assuming its probably a window table? They get dozens of those requests...almost everyone wants to sit by a window.

After 27 cruises, a window seat is usually not our goal. We usually seek tables for 2 where we can people watch well.

No,  not necessarily window tables. Just tables for two that aren't next to a service station. 🙂 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I haven't.  I have though been asked, when booking cruises onboard, if we prefer a certain table in the MDR so I assume from that comment that it is possible.

I am hoping others will comment that it is as we have discussed possibly availing of fixed dining on any future cruises.

I've never been asked but that's good to know! Thanks.

Just now, Jacqueet said:

When did you request it? At booking or onboard?

The first night when we were seated. But I should add that we were in a Neptune suite, so automatically Club Orange, and the Noordam doesn't have a separate room for CO, we were in the MDR, so that might be the reason. But no harm in asking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The first night when we were seated. But I should add that we were in a Neptune suite, so automatically Club Orange, and the Noordam doesn't have a separate room for CO, we were in the MDR, so that might be the reason. But no harm in asking.

Ah, you're likely correct. We have a Sig. Suite on the Westerdam in April. I think I'll have my TA see what she can do. Thanks!

Our travel agent has requested a particular table by number that I want. She sent a message to the ship. Note if we get it that she works with a big agency well known to HAL and that we are high Mariners. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jacqueet said:

Yes, 

Have asked for a specific table we had on an earlier cruise. Like you we prefer a table for two. Unfortunately, we did get a table for two, but not the one requested.  When I talked to the head waiter, he showed me the table we had requested was set up as a table on four on this cruise. He then asked if the table we were given was ok or should he see what else was available.

We now just request a table for two figuring we can always talk to the head waiter if we are not happy.

My advice is put in the request and hop for the best.

• Thanks 1

As Dutchman has experienced, sometimes the table configurations change from sailing to sailing.

That’s why I tend to request a general location, i.e “a two top along the railing” as opposed to a specific number.

• Thanks 1

Someone I frequently travel with has done this for our small party of 5-6 several times. We have been fixed seating for late (main) dining, and she has selected specific tables that meet our needs/wants, and put in the request about 2 weeks before sailing. 

If you wait too long to make the request, especially waiting until you board, the table you want may already be assigned. If done too soon, such as when you book the cruise, the request can get lost in the shuffle. 
Table assignments for an upcoming cruise are made about 1-2 weeks before the cruise starts. Make the request for a specific table right before that, giving first, second, and third choice table numbers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

When our girls were young and sailing with us, at the time of booking, I routinely emailed shipboard services and requested a specific table.  I would write something like the following after providing our names and booking number:  I understand that you are unable to commit to any table assignment at this time, but we would like to request Table __, where we have been assigned on many prior cruises and greatly enjoyed being there."  I would usually get an email confirming receipt of the request, with a message that it was too early to make table assignments at that time, and they would follow up with me prior to the cruise when assignments were being made.  In many cases, they would email me closer to the sailing date to let me know we had been assigned that table.  If I did not hear from them, I'd send a follow-up email a couple of weeks before the cruise.  In all cases, we got the requested table.  It's been about 5 years now since we have done so, but I don't why it still would not work today.

Edited by Big Dawg CC
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

As Dutchman has experienced, sometimes the table configurations change from sailing to sailing.

That’s why I tend to request a general location, i.e “a two top along the railing” as opposed to a specific number.

Great idea!

On 1/8/2024 at 5:41 PM, RuthC said:

Someone I frequently travel with has done this for our small party of 5-6 several times. We have been fixed seating for late (main) dining, and she has selected specific tables that meet our needs/wants, and put in the request about 2 weeks before sailing. 

If you wait too long to make the request, especially waiting until you board, the table you want may already be assigned. If done too soon, such as when you book the cruise, the request can get lost in the shuffle. 
Table assignments for an upcoming cruise are made about 1-2 weeks before the cruise starts. Make the request for a specific table right before that, giving first, second, and third choice table numbers. 

Who do you typically make the request to? Is it the main reservations dept? 

Ironically we have been assigned the worst possible table location on every single cruise we we selected fixed dining. It is always either on side of the upper dining room, between a pole, waiter's station and solid wall with no way to see windows, or in the former orchestra pit where tables are 1/4 inch apart and you look at everyone's feet around you. This has happened on every single cruise we have ever booked and after the first night the Neptune concierge usually requests the Maitre'D move us and we have always been accommodated. 

The only cruise we couldn't get fixed dining was a 2 week Panama canal (even though we booked a suite over a year out). As I recall they wouldn't take reservations for more than the same day (and this was pre-app) so you had to call daily to make reservations or show up and wait. Our waiter the first night was wonderful so when we called the next morning we requested his section. Turns out it was him who answered the phone - after that he made reservations for us in his section for the next day every single night & took absolutely amazing care of us the entire cruise. Best dining service we ever had on a HAL ship. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zgscl said:

Since my friend makes the arrangements, I really don't know who she contacts to do it. 
She may (or may not) have her travel agent do the legwork for her; I really don't know. She's not around right now for me to ask her, either. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zgscl said:

If you're in a Neptune suite, and if you're on one of the Pinnacle class ships, you are automatically Club Orange, and there is a separate dining room for Club Orange. But if you're on one of the other ships, I guess you have to go through one of the processes mentioned here. I think the best standby might be what you did on the cruise when you talked to the concierge in the Neptune lounge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:56 PM, Jacqueet said:

How did you download the MDR for your particular ship? I'd like to do that as well. Thank you

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 7:07 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

If you're in a Neptune suite, and if you're on one of the Pinnacle class ships, you are automatically Club Orange, and there is a separate dining room for Club Orange. But if you're on one of the other ships, I guess you have to go through one of the processes mentioned here. I think the best standby might be what you did on the cruise when you talked to the concierge in the Neptune lounge.

The concierge in The Neptune Lounge no longer handles those requests. You need to find the table reservation podium on embarking.

1 hour ago, shadow 123 said:

How did you download the MDR for your particular ship? I'd like to do that as well. Thank you

One place you can find the dining room maps is halfacts.com, and they have been recently updated. Chose the ship class then the individual ship.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

One place you can find the dining room maps is halfacts.com, and they have been recently updated. Chose the ship class then the individual ship.

Perfect !!! Thank you , Now , whitch section is club orange on the Zuiderdam ?