Taking wine onboard

Hi. Interesting thread, we’ve just booked Serenade for June and it’s so port heavy with just one day at sea, we’re questioning the drinks package.  

I will bring a couple of bottles of wine on board, if we can find a suitable one in Istanbul, but I wondered what the policy was on bringing a local wine back from a stop along the way. 

Many thanks

On 1/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, mac66 said:

I was under the impression that 2 bottles per cabin was allowed. I've heard that in order to get around that some people in the same cabin each bring 2 bottles and board in different lines or times.  Probably just a rumor though.

And this is probably why they changed the rule to one per adult. Whenever people try to scam the system, and even boast about it on public forums, eventually the powers that be wise up. 

47 minutes ago, K8T said:

Hi. Interesting thread, we’ve just booked Serenade for June and it’s so port heavy with just one day at sea, we’re questioning the drinks package.  

I will bring a couple of bottles of wine on board, if we can find a suitable one in Istanbul, but I wondered what the policy was on bringing a local wine back from a stop along the way. 

Many thanks

Any alcohol you bring on the ship from the ports of call will be confiscated and held for you until the end of the cruise.

2 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Any alcohol you bring on the ship from the ports of call will be confiscated and held for you until the end of the cruise.

Thank you for clarifying.  

Wife and I each brought 2 bottles in our carry on. No one ever said a word to us. I think corkage fee is if you bring the unopened bottle to dinner. Wife always open them in the room and brings a glass out with her.

57 minutes ago, du4mch said:

Wife and I each brought 2 bottles in our carry on. No one ever said a word to us. I think corkage fee is if you bring the unopened bottle to dinner. Wife always open them in the room and brings a glass out with her.

Was this before or after they changed the pp limit?

3 hours ago, gerif said:

And this is probably why they changed the rule to one per adult. Whenever people try to scam the system, and even boast about it on public forums, eventually the powers that be wise up. 

Now you do one in each piece of handluggage and 1 in each suitcase....

2 hours ago, du4mch said:

They never charge you a fee - just bring it to dinner and they will chill it for you!

20 hours ago, gerif said:

This is not news to the cruise line; thing is, they gauge whether it's a big enough problem to hire more personnel /slow embarkation to check more thoroughly.  Every "problem" isn't big enough to address.

12 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

It's not allowed in checked luggage. If they see it on the x-ray, they will confiscate it.

That is not true.  Yes they may stop the bag and hold it for the guest to come and show them but it is allowed in checked bags.

4 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

That is not true.  Yes they may stop the bag and hold it for the guest to come and show them but it is allowed in checked bags.

They stopped the hold long time ago if it is only 1 bottle - too much work for them to address it!

I have not brought wine on board before. Where do yo get checked for this at? If I buy it before I get to the port and it is in my backpack then where are they checking the backpack at? Just need to know what to expect. I have cruised several times but never brought wine with me. 

23 minutes ago, Womack21499 said:

I have not brought wine on board before. Where do yo get checked for this at? If I buy it before I get to the port and it is in my backpack then where are they checking the backpack at? Just need to know what to expect. I have cruised several times but never brought wine with me. 

There is a security checkpoint that you go through before you get on the ship where they X-ray your carry on stuff-just like the airport. You don’t need to do anything special, just put your bag with the 2 bottles of wine on the belt and claim it on the other side, same as whatever else you are carrying on…

Edited by zanydoc