Tipping

junieh

On 1/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, Seas2mountains said:

For each person who says they will tip, there will be a person who says they don't tip and both are right. It's a personal decision.

We tend to be the type of couple who tips for excellent service and we also tip when getting bad service.  There are times we know the person may have some outside factors impacting their ability to provide better service so we give the benefit of the doubt in those situations. Some room stewards may be helping to cover for a friend who is sick or needs a break off the ship. The restaurant server might be covering too many tables due to staffing shortages. On NCL, we have typically received excellent service and the bad service doesn't happen too often. 

When I was younger, someone told me if you tipped generously, the money would find its way back to you in different ways. I tried this and can say that this theory has been proven true for me and my husband.  Anytime my husband or I hesitate about if or how much we should tip, we remind the other that the money will find its way back to us.

We appreciate how the people providing us with such a great vacation are working seven days a week and sometimes 10-12 or more hours a day. It makes our vacation extra special to see the smiles and to have them come back to tell us how much they appreciate it. It is even better when we run into these crew members on other ships or when we return on the same ship. 

Life is too short and you don't get to take the money with you.

That's exactly what I meant when I say I tip my room steward extra as a general thank you for doing the work they do.  Making beds, vacuuming and cleaning toilets. Ugh.  And all that I have come in contact with are always so pleasant with a hello, or a good morning.   I'm not sure if it always comes back to me but I guess it eases my guilt a little that they are doing the work they do while I am cruising.  They work hard.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:38 PM, decrepit old man said:

I'm guessing most people who love to tip are very high maintenance people

I wouldnt say I exactly "love" to tip but to me it just feels like the right thing to do but it depends on each person's perspective and circumstances. It is none of my business what anyone tips (other than if I ask for advice and they are willing to give me advice)  I will say I am not very high maintenance. I make no special requests, I try to stay out of their way so they can do their job, I dont leave my cabin in a chaotic mess, I try to be neat and clean in the bathroom. In fact, I always tell them the first day that they dont need to make my bed, I can take care of that. Just bring me clean towels when necessary and empty the trash. Some will comply with my request, but others insist on doing the full job, in their nice way. So I let them. I dont make my bed often at home,   so its not such a horrible thing to not make the cabin bed, plus I am the only one in the cabin. Doesnt sound like high maintenance?

On 1/14/2024 at 7:00 PM, luv2kroooz said:

Maybe you don't want to tip NCLs recommended amount, but wouldn't you agree that whoever is serving you each night deserves something? I don't understand the logic of not tipping waiters just because you don't get the same one every night. Often times, you can ask to be seated in the same section of the dining room and they'll try to make that happen.

when there are up to 6 people appearing at your table at one meal I would say that NCL is not encouraging tipping.   

On 1/14/2024 at 7:14 PM, SoloAlaska said:

Honestly never had even decent service in the MDR so no I don’t think it deserves more than the basic service fees. The daily service charge I left as is.  I was seated with a table of 6 and they just walked away without handing me a menu for example, didn’t refilled water once in a nearly 2 hour meal, no smile etc. No that doesn’t deserve an additional top.

I find that traditional dinning the staff get to know you and you get to know them and that ends up developing better service. 

i usually ate with the solo group so didn’t have control on who was serving us. There were so many solos on my cruise they made us eat earlier than planned and take a different entrance. 

Interesting because I am now in the Studio solo section and have only seen 2 men in the lounge on 2 different occasions, no social gatherings, no bartender but refreshments available.  

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

when there are up to 6 people appearing at your table at one meal I would say that NCL is not encouraging tipping.   

Not sure I follow, NCL has had the highest gratuity charge in the industry, $20, since Corona time. Holland America just raised theirs yesterday to $17. At the end of the day, to tip or not tip is a personal choice. Whatever you are good with, I am too. Cheers.

2 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

Except when it is a DSC.  The DSC came about as a replacement for tips.  When we started cruising 30 years ago we left envelopes for the cabin steward, the waiter, matre'd at the end of the cruise as a tip for services rendered. 

Not sure of the exact time when it started but NCL and others came up with the ingenious concept of the DSC.  It was meant at least in part to take the stress away from the tipping process.

They had to do something because cruises became more complex with the advent of drink packages, sit anywhere you want for dinner, specialty dinners, etc.   What they have did is fair IMO.   Most people really don't understand it.  Some feel they get bad service if they don't tip more. Or that the cabin steward is going to starve to death if they don't tip them an extra $50 at the end of the cruise.

The reality is that on a 7 day cruise once a cabin of 2 people pay their $20 per person DSC, their drink package 20%, and their specialty dinner gratuities, they are ponying up almost $700 for services rendered.  We have always for the most part had excellent service without feeling the need to tip more.  Should you tip more?  Up to you.  We do on occasion if the service rendered goes above and beyond. Regardless of where it is received.

I remember the days when you had the envelopes and put the cash in them and tipped everyone who served you  I was young but watched my mother. It was the way it was done. But as you point out, many things were done differently such as specific sittings for meals so you got to know your waiter (and they were all men) very well.  The system had to change and it did, in many ways. Otherwise I think cruising would have gone the way that transatlantic travel did. 

3 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Not sure I follow, NCL has had the highest gratuity charge in the industry, $20, since Corona time. Holland America just raised theirs yesterday to $17. At the end of the day, to tip or not tip is a personal choice. Whatever you are good with, I am too. Cheers.

I meant they werent encouraging additional tipping. I didnt mean the DSC.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

I meant they werent encouraging additional tipping. I didnt mean the DSC.   

Gotcha and I agree.

It is all the same in my world. They can call it whatever they want to.

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Gotcha and I agree.

2 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Gotcha and I agree.

I consider the DSC a fixed charge and would never consider removing it, so I dont consider it a tip. But if NCL actually wanted people to tip the dining room staff extra they would structure it so that  there werent so many different people coming at you.  (the way your are assigned one room steward who usually introduces his/herself to you at the start of the cruise) And its still possible to get yourself into a tipping situation if you desire by just asking for a particular waiter.  This is a little off the topic but not really, I'm traveling this cruise alone but some I travel with a male travel partner. (he is my son in law almost half my age, so its not like we are a "couple" )  I realized on this cruise that only once was I seated at a window seat meant for two people.  Yet when I am with my partner I would say at least half the time we are sitted at the tables for 2 by the window. I'm not complaining, just commenting. If I felt strongly about sitting at the window I would open my mouth and request it. But its an interesting observation, to me anyway. I've read women complaining they often get seated at less desirable tables in a restaurant. So may be on the ships they save those intimate tables by the window for the "couples" 

• Like 1

a large number of factors determine where you get seated in a restaurant onboard an NCL ship, including the time you arrive, whether there are reservations, how many are waiting, which cabin category the guest is in and their status in NCL's latitudes program. haven guests are more likely to get preferred locations, for instance, as are diamond, ambassador and sapphire guests. and they are more likely to be seated more quickly.

that being said, as a solo male traveler with sapphire status, i, too, have been seated at an undesirable table, but i've also been sat as a solo by the window. when traveling with a companion, i have also been sat at an undesirable table and i've also been sat by the window.

but whenever i have asked, my request for a window table has always been honored.

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Interesting because I am now in the Studio solo section and have only seen 2 men in the lounge on 2 different occasions, no social gatherings, no bartender but refreshments available.  

Are their solo gathering held every evening? Usually they are at 6pm. My last cruise had zero supplement so there was a ton of solo travellers.

rocketman (speaking only for myself)  my intent is to give the porter a "tip" for relieving me of the burden of dragging my luggage around through the entire boarding process. i am aware that his responsibility ends when he places it of the ship. one can only hope that the luggage from 2-3000 people gets to the correct cabins. it's reassuring to see your bags outside your stateroom. Breath out with a sigh of relief.

one of the most tortuous feelings (imho) is waiting at the luggage carousel, for your bags to comedown after your flight has landed

10 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

What is interesting about tipping vs DSC is that the DSC has been around since at least 2002 according to a post I found on Cruise Critic from 2012 .  I googled "when did DSC replace tipping on cruise ships". The very first article I came to was a thread from cruise critic in 2012.  There were just as many diverse opinions as there are now.  The more things change the more they stay the same.

That sounds about right. Our first cruise was on Disney in 2000 and they had the envelope system. You had recommended amounts per day per position tipped. I don't recall how many envelopes, but I recall the dining staff having four or five envelopes. Then you had two envelopes for the cabin stewards. So you had at least six envelopes for six different people. The assistant cabin steward envelope had a recommended tip of .50 per person per day .... so, .50 x 2 x 7 .... and you put the $7 in that envelope. Then you went to next envelope, and it was 1.50 pppd, so 1.50 x 2 x 7, and you put $21 in that envelope. Repeat for each remaining envelope. (These amounts are just for illustration; I can't recall the actual amounts).

We started with NCL in 2010 so the DSC was in place then. And I thought it was absolutely brilliant. No more envelopes! Everyone must be estatic!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

In any case, we already have one moderator. We dont need another, thank you. 

Really @Smitheroo?  You screw up by posting something totally off topic, @complawyer asks you to explain and you attack him?  

My Dad used to say "when you are in the wrong, you apologize and then shut your mouth".  Seems to apply here.

On 1/14/2024 at 7:00 PM, luv2kroooz said:

Maybe you don't want to tip NCLs recommended amount, but wouldn't you agree that whoever is serving you each night deserves something? 

What is "NCLs recommended amount" for MDR servers?  If you are referring to the DSC, the DSC is different from the tips being discussed here.  I for one consider the DSC to be the "something" the server deserves.  Should that server or service be exceptional I give something more in cash.  I can't remember the last time I had exceptional service in an NCL MDR.

14 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Sad that you do not know the difference between a bribe and a tip.  They are tow very distinct things.

Rather than attacking the poster, why don't you answer his questions?

13 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

When I get to the pier, there's a porter there waiting to take my luggage. I always give the porter some money. This porter receives a salary or hourly wage and his/her job is to get luggage to a certain location. 

Is the money I'm giving this porter a tip or a bribe?

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

the porter is responsible for placing the bag on a cart which he or she does as you are reaching into your pocket for a tip, or within seconds of your proffering said tip. you're tipping for the activity which happens either in your presence or as you're walking away. it is not an activity which "has yet to be completed."

Disagree.  Just this past December in SJ, I tipped them and walked away with the bags still on the curb and a second porter loading them onto his hand cart.  The larger carts that are eventually loaded on the ship were no where to be seen.  I'm pretty sure it was a similar situation at Port Liberty this past summer.  Even if I saw them being loaded onto the larger carts, those larger carts still need to get from the curb to the staging area so they can be loaded on the ship.  There is a lot that the porters do to get your bag delivered that you don't see or doesn't happen "within seconds of your proffering said tip".  Tipping the porters is most definitely a bribe per the party planner's definition.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

What is "NCLs recommended amount" for MDR servers?  If you are referring to the DSC, the DSC is different from the tips being discussed here.  I for one consider the DSC to be the "something" the server deserves. 

Who knows, NCL could break that down for us, but they choose not to. My guess is they send some portion of the DSC directly to the team member and then retain the rest to offset costs that are typically the direct responsibility of the employer and are unrelated to the level of service provided to passengers.....crew parties, bonuses, employee benefits, employee uniforms, etc. I conclude this because NCLs service charges are the highest in the industry ans I don't believe crew contracts are more lucrative on NCL vs other mass market lines.

It's all the same to me, though, they can call it whatever they want, but there are no entitlements in my world. The only entitlement is the minimum salary outlined and agreed upon in the contract entered into between NCL and it's employees.  Anything over and above is discretionary.

Edited by luv2kroooz

6 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Really @Smitheroo?  You screw up by posting something totally off topic, @complawyer asks you to explain and you attack him?  

My Dad used to say "when you are in the wrong, you apologize and then shut your mouth".  Seems to apply here.

OMG. Seriously, you people  have way too much time on your hands. Ok, I made a mistake. I apologize. Get over it.   I am on lots of forums concerned with many topics and this one has to be the one with the most annoying people on it. IF YOU DONT LIKE A POST THAT DOESNT INVOLVE YOU   Just "scroll on by" (to the tune of Dionne Warwick's Walk on By)  and I'm sure Complawyer can defend his/herself without your help.  MYOB

I updated my experiences (i didnt have to, I am sure the info will be useful to someone) and now I am gone.... again.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You're too fine a fellow to demean by offering you cash.

Oh...I know Chief......he is totally motivated by beer and cash.  And, he makes no bones about wanting both. 😉

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.  Really surprised mods have not nuked it yet.  It started out productive gradually evolving into nonsense.

They probably won't 'nuke' this tread until he devolves into name calling.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Oh...I know Chief......he is totally motivated by beer and cash.  And, he makes no bones about wanting both. 😉

I don't know Chief but guessing by his posts he could be motivated by some more risqué things than simple booze and cash  🙃

hey smitheroo, i thought we were good on this. patrlr was just asking you to clarify. NO! we dont have to much time on our hands, i didnt need/want an apology, i just didnt understand your post. ok, i now acknowledge it came up in the wrong forum. 

that being said , however, your response to patrlr, seemed rather hostile and inappropriate.

lets let this go! OK!

i wasn't condemning you, and no one is bringing the "tar and feathers" or a long rope.

you quote Dionne Warwick, let me quote Mr Spock  "live long and prosper"

And most of all, enjoy whatever cruises you may take from now on

PEACE BROTHER (or sister, whichever the case may be)!

and patrlr, much thanks for backing me up!