New museum near the Colosseum

marazul

Wow!!! I’ve read about the Forma Urbis Romae map for years— it is very exciting to be able to see it at last. As the article says, it hasn’t been viewable for almost a century. 

It is not complete because many of the marble pieces were “recycled” for other uses. A few have been found over the years in other places and added back. Most are lost, sadly.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wow!!! I’ve read about the Forma Urbis Romae map for years— it is very exciting to be able to see it at last. As the article says, it hasn’t been viewable for almost a century. 

It is not complete because many of the marble pieces were “recycled” for other uses. A few have been found over the years in other places and added back. Most are lost, sadly.

I am really excited to hear about it.  It's on my program for a trip later this year.

For cruisemom42 and marazul especially, but really for anyone.

Another "new"historic site of importance has very recently opened following a 16 year restoration.  If you didn't pick up on it on a news feed, it is this one.

Palace of Aigai, near Thessaloniki  Will cross post on the Greece Ports Board.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

I visited both the excavated palace and museum at Aigai and the excavations and museum at Vergina on a private tour from Thessaloniki last October. I hardly had enough time to do all four sites justice but who knows when I’ll get back.

For those who know/remember their Classical history, Aigai was the old traditional capital of Macedonia, and remained the site for important ceremonies and burials. (The tomb of Philip II, father of Alexander the Great is here, part of a separate museum). Nearby Vergina was the newer capital, created by the immediate predecessors of Philip II to compete with their Greek rivals.