Gluten-free on board Celebrity

Hi, my wife is coeliaque (cannot eat gluten) and was wondering if anybody knows if the Blu restaurant offers gluten-free meals (We are in Aquaclass) and if so, do I have to advise them prior to our arrival of when we board.  Tks in advance for your input. 

1 hour ago, Niavlys Ruofud said:

Hi, my wife is coeliaque (cannot eat gluten) and was wondering if anybody knows if the Blu restaurant offers gluten-free meals (We are in Aquaclass) and if so, do I have to advise them prior to our arrival of when we board.  Tks in advance for your input. 

Yes advise them in advance and when you go to Blu the first day.  There are many gluten free options and they'll remember you after the first day.

• Like 1

We have traveled with friends with both couples in Aqua staterooms.  The wife of our friends requires gluten free meals.  Our experience was that at the end of dinner a waiter would drop by with the menu for the next night.  The waiter went through the menu and she pre-ordered for the next night so a gluten free option could be prepared.

5 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We have traveled with friends with both couples in Aqua staterooms.  The wife of our friends requires gluten free meals.  Our experience was that at the end of dinner a waiter would drop by with the menu for the next night.  The waiter went through the menu and she pre-ordered for the next night so a gluten free option could be prepared.

Thank you for your comments. Really appreciated 

We did a galley tour on one of our Celebrity cruises. They have a separate prep and cooking area for gluten free. We did a Med cruise in September-October with my cousin and her husband. My cousin has celiac disease and had no problems onboard. 

2 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

We did a galley tour on one of our Celebrity cruises. They have a separate prep and cooking area for gluten free. We did a Med cruise in September-October with my cousin and her husband. My cousin has celiac disease and had no problems onboard. 

Thank you for your comments 

As others suggested, yes she will be ok but....as a heads up, Celebrity can do way better as far as choice.  Their bread selection is limited - so at dinner, while the non GF people get a lovely basket of rolls and breadsticks, the GF person (my husband) was given toast (once even raisin toast). 

When we had cheese and crackers as an afternoon snack, there are no GF crackers. 

There is GF pizza and pasta at the buffet and Cafe Bacio will have a few options re cookies.   

Don't think there are GF burger buns at the grill.  

I have even read that some people have brought their own GF crackers and bagels to fill the void.  Trust me she will not go hungry.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

As others suggested, yes she will be ok but....as a heads up, Celebrity can do way better as far as choice.  Their bread selection is limited - so at dinner, while the non GF people get a lovely basket of rolls and breadsticks, the GF person (my husband) was given toast (once even raisin toast). 

When we had cheese and crackers as an afternoon snack, there are no GF crackers. 

There is GF pizza and pasta at the buffet and Cafe Bacio will have a few options re cookies.   

I have even read that some people have brought their own GF crackers and bagels to fill the void.  Trust me she will not go hungry.  

Thank you very much for the information 

4 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

That would be me!  I bring a package of the Schar breadsticks and then I don't feel so left out.  If you have your travel agent write on your reservation that you require gluten free meals and talk to the waiter the first night - he or she will get you gluten free rolls for dinner every night instead of the toast.  I love escargot and hate having to use that toast to soak up the garlic butter so it was nice when the waiter would bring me different rolls every night.

• Thanks 1

I had no problems onboard Eclipse last month, but I brought my own GF crackers and granola. The pizza is delicious at Oceanview, but be prepared to wait about 15 minutes as it is made to order.

• Thanks 1

There is no gluten free bagels or crackers on board and I bring my own.  The gluten free pasta and sauce in buffet is very good.  The gluten free cakes not so good.  I was told the gelato is not gluten free but it never bothered me.  They will not go hungry!  

One area Celebrity could do better is to educate the Al Bacio staff.  #1 There were gluten free cakes and cookies available but on several occasions they were in the same case as the rest. For someone seriously celiac it can be no where near the other cakes.  
#2 gluten free cookies were in their own cookie jar but do staff use the same tongs to get them as they do the other cookies?   I saw a woman order both kinds of cookies and the server asked if he could put them in the same bag as the other cookies?   NO was her answer!  I realize it’s a fad for some to eat gluten free but others have a much serious reaction to something that has been cross contaminated. 

I just kept an eye open as we will be traveling with our extremely sensitive  Celiac daughter next year. 

I would suggest that your wife contact Celebrity's Special Needs Department.  There is a form that you can download and email back where she can make them aware that she must eat gluten free.  This should be done at least one month prior to your cruise.  I have been doing this for eight years since becoming allergic to several things, (other than gluten).  They always have me go to Blu immediately after boarding the ship to meet with the matra'd and/or chef to pre select my meal choice for the first night.  Then each night at dinner I preselect for the following night.  In the ocean view cafe I am to find one of the supervisors (I think they will have a red scarf around their neck) and they will tell me what I can safely eat.  I hope this is helpful.

16 hours ago, Im A Happy Cruiser said:

I would suggest that your wife contact Celebrity's Special Needs Department.  There is a form that you can download and email back where she can make them aware that she must eat gluten free.  This should be done at least one month prior to your cruise.  I have been doing this for eight years since becoming allergic to several things, (other than gluten).  They always have me go to Blu immediately after boarding the ship to meet with the matra'd and/or chef to pre select my meal choice for the first night.  Then each night at dinner I preselect for the following night.  In the ocean view cafe I am to find one of the supervisors (I think they will have a red scarf around their neck) and they will tell me what I can safely eat.  I hope this is helpful.

Thank you very much for your help