Take away onboard

inar

24 minutes ago, inar said:

Hi.  Am I allowed to take an order from the Local pub or my dessert Delma specialty restaurant back to my room?

No to the Local and for dessert, it depends. I personally have taken my dessert back to my cabin often but others have not. Depends on the ship and GM.

• Like 1

For whatever reason, the Local (or O'Sheehans) doesn't seem to allow you to take food back to your room - sometimes there are signs on the tables, I've also seen it mentioned in the Freestyle Daily. Will they tackle you if you try - hard to say - but they certainly won't box it up for you.

• Like 1

i imagine NCL thinks that if they allowed takeout/take away, food costs would go way up and there would be more waste and lots of plates and utensils to retrieve from staterooms and around the ship. 

it's frowned upon by NCL, but most restaurant servers, managers will let you take leftover food back to your cabin. and dessert. the thing is... they have no takeout containers. so, most servers give you a plate and a napkin to cover it. again, the official policy is no takeout; that's why they have rooms service. but most times, you can take leftover food from a restaurant. what you can't do is place an order and then walk with it.

that being said, i was on the prima last may and a very drunk woman ordered three or four items at the local bar, including nachos and hamburgers and fries and insisted on taking them back to her cabin. she stacked the four plates and walked... or stumbled, to be more accurate. she got as far as the elevator bank, whereupon she dropped the entire thing on the floor, accompanied by an earth shattering crescendo and a blood curdling scream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I know on the Prima last summer, after we ate our entire meal including dessert, we were given a cake on our anniversary. We each ate a little, and then brought it back to our cabin. This was in Hudson's the MDR.

• Like 1

I almost always take my dessert from specialty restaurants back to the cabin because I'm too full to enjoy it at that time.  I have never asked anyone's permission so I don't know what would happen.   I just order something that keeps well, pop a napkin over it when it's time to go and walk out of the restaurant.  As someone posted above, nobody has ever tried to tackle me, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you order the churros in Los Lobos, they give you a huge stack that two people can't possibly eat after a full Mexican meal. We always take them back to the cabin to have with coffee the next morning.

• Like 1

On our last cruise we often turned down desserts in the specialty restaurants because we were full and they would really push us to pick something and then they would call our Butler to pick it up and deliver to our room. 

• Like 1

Funny on our TA Getaway our Cagney waiter insisted that we take the desert takeout even going as far to tell us that the cheesecake works best. I hated bringing back that whole plate and cover but really enjoyed it the next day for breakfast. 

• Like 1

I’ve found that they let you take the dessert or will even have it delivered to your room. They do, however, always say no to taking leftovers.

Not that there are many leftovers I’d want to take, but the biggest one is the pizza from Onda. It’s way too much food, and pizza is easy to take to go for a snack later.

I’d wager the waste more food that way. I’d happily eat my leftover pizza later when I’m hungry, or a piece here and there. If I can’t take it, I’ll inevitably end up going to the Local and order something that I can’t finish, thus wasting the rest of the pizza they wouldn’t let me take AND the rest of whatever I ordered from the Local.

NCL doesn’t have a lot of “quick snacks,” ie popcorn, chips, etc, so we end up bringing our own for the room. Taking leftover pizza or fries shouldn’t be an issue.

Anyway, I did the polite thing and asked to take  the pizza to go this time at Onda, and again was told no. We took it anyway (sorry, not sorry) and we’re not tackled 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

that being said, i was on the prima last may and a very drunk woman ordered three or four items at the local bar, including nachos and hamburgers and fries and insisted on taking them back to her cabin. she stacked the four plates and walked... or stumbled, to be more accurate. she got as far as the elevator bank, whereupon she dropped the entire thing on the floor, accompanied by an earth shattering crescendo and a blood curdling scream.

Which just goes to prove the old adage.  "There's a reason for every rule." 🤣

I just order the Coney Island dog without the chilli.   I wrap that plump dog in a napkin and hide it in my front pocket.

Just one time, the nice lady at the front desk asked me if that was a Coney Island dog in my pocket or I was just.......

(y'all know the rest)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

Not that there are many leftovers I’d want to take, but the biggest one is the pizza from Onda.

last may/june on the prima, i asked to take the leftover pizza from onda with me and they gave me a plate and a napkin to cover the plate and essentially said, "knock yourself out."

it's highly dependent on the restaurant's manager/staff.

I've taken potato chips, cookies, and fresh fruit. So more like snack type foods. I think there's a few reasons why they don't promote takeaway. 1) Food waste 2) More plates and utensils the room steward has to handle 3) Loss of room service revenue 4) Potential for mess/spills on their floor 5) Plates and utensils left outside the rooms are unsightly and a tripping hazard 6) Food safety/health hazard - passengers don't have the ability to maintain uneaten food at a safe temperature (think promote bacteria growth) that will be consumed "later."

On 1/14/2024 at 5:40 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

I just order the Coney Island dog without the chilli.   I wrap that plump dog in a napkin and hide it in my front pocket.

Just one time, the nice lady at the front desk asked me if that was a Coney Island dog in my pocket or I was just.......

(y'all know the rest)

Did she look like Mae West? 🤣