Question For 4-stars.

LocoLoco1

Good afternoon, 

I've been 4 star for a while but was sailing with DD DH so not a big deal as he was too! However, this time I'm taking a friend with me in July who is brand new to HAL (and beyond excited I might add). Since she is sharing the cabin with me can she attend the reception on the first day and go to the wine tasting with me? We both have the HIA so the only other perk is laundry and I know that can be sent out with mine. 

Thanks! It will be an interesting week but I'm enjoying her enthusiasm for Alaska and the cruise. 

Karen

12 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

I've been 4 star for a while but was sailing with DD DH so not a big deal as he was too! However, this time I'm taking a friend with me in July who is brand new to HAL (and beyond excited I might add). Since she is sharing the cabin with me can she attend the reception on the first day and go to the wine tasting with me? We both have the HIA so the only other perk is laundry and I know that can be sent out with mine. 

Thanks! It will be an interesting week but I'm enjoying her enthusiasm for Alaska and the cruise. 

Karen

Absolutely Karen - she should be entitled to everything you are.

I am taking my friend in a few months and she will be entitled to all as she is in my cabin.

I would certainly hope that they both will get the invite 🤞 

When DD DH and I started cruising I had cruised HAL and other lines.  He had not.  As we approached each Mariner level, he was never the same as me until he finally caught up.  He always received all of my benefits 🙂 

Thanks @kazu! It's interesting seeing a cruise I've done many many times through the eyes of someone who hasn't cruised at all. Her only cruise ship experience is a Bon Voyage experience on Princess pre-Covid. I've made it clear that she is to do what she wants in ports and on ship as our interests may not coincide - if they do great. We'll be sure to have dinner together and other things as well. 

Stay warm and safe and take care of Ivan! 

Karen

6 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Thanks @kazu! It's interesting seeing a cruise I've done many many times through the eyes of someone who hasn't cruised at all. Her only cruise ship experience is a Bon Voyage experience on Princess pre-Covid. I've made it clear that she is to do what she wants in ports and on ship as our interests may not coincide - if they do great. We'll be sure to have dinner together and other things as well. 

Stay warm and safe and take care of Ivan! 

Karen

Exactly Karen - I do the same - we are not tied at the hip.  You are setting up things well. 👍 

I am so glad that you are cruising and have company.

No worries on Ivan - the energizer bunny is on his 3rd toy to play fetch with.  Have a nap buddy.  My arm is getting sore 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2024 at 3:49 PM, kazu said:

there is a new restriction you can’t take it to bars and other public places.  I honestly don’t know how enforced that is.  Seems a bit silly to me - it’s HAL’s wine - bought and paid for.

It’s not enforced at all. In fact, if a bar isn’t particularly busy I have often gotten the server to get us a bottle of wine from our package and have it served to us in the bar. I don’t do it when it’s busy because they usually have to go to the MDR to get it and it takes a few minutes. But they won’t refuse to if they aren’t busy. You can ALWAYS bring your own glass or bottle of wine to any venue and you will never be told that you can’t consume it there. 

BTW, they do get credit for the 18% gratuity for opening and serving a bottle of wine from the package so are usually happy to do it. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

It’s not enforced at all. In fact, if a bar isn’t particularly busy I have often gotten the server to get us a bottle of wine from our package and have it served to us in the bar. I don’t do it when it’s busy because they usually have to go to the MDR to get it and it takes a few minutes. But they won’t refuse to if they aren’t busy. You can ALWAYS bring your own glass or bottle of wine to any venue and you will never be told that you can’t consume it there. 

BTW, they do get credit for the 18% gratuity for opening and serving a bottle of wine from the package so are usually happy to do it. 

Thanks so much 🙂 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:05 PM, kazu said:

Absolutely Karen - she should be entitled to everything you are.

I am taking my friend in a few months and she will be entitled to all as she is in my cabin.

I would certainly hope that they both will get the invite 🤞 

When DD DH and I started cruising I had cruised HAL and other lines.  He had not.  As we approached each Mariner level, he was never the same as me until he finally caught up.  He always received all of my benefits 🙂 

Over Christmas the only thing I got that my sister (3*) didn't was an invitation to the small medallion ceremony -- I think because they asked everyone with 5* or with a platinum medallion (700 real days) or sometime like that. She got invited to everything else.

• Like 1