Question For 4-stars.

LocoLoco1

Upcoming 15-day with 1 4-star and 3-Zero Stars.  We All have the HaveItAll deal.  What 4-star perks will be usable to us… aside from laundry for the 4-star stateroom? 

Just now, CHOPPERTESTER said:

50% off the wine packages

Thanks. So..if we order bottles of lower-tier table wine for meal must it be one of the ‘wine packages’ to get that discount? How about bring glasses of wine into the Dining Rm. every evening? 

5 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Thanks. So..if we order bottles of lower-tier table wine for meal must it be one of the ‘wine packages’ to get that discount? How about bring glasses of wine into the Dining Rm. every evening? 

Yes, the discount applies to the wine packages only.

the other party in your cabin receives the same benefits as you.

MDR honors HIA by the glass wine.  You will also be offered a free wine tasting and can book specialty dining for 1/2 price - for those meals above what you get with HIA

@LocoLoco1Are all 4 of you staying in the same cabin?  You did not make that clear.  If so then you all get the 4-star benefits.  Otherwise, only the two people in the 4-star cabin would get it and the other two people would get nothing specific to their cabin.

You can read the full list of benefits in the link below.  One item that no one mentioned so far is the 50% discount on the mini-bar in the room.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society

Edited by Torquer

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

The wine packages are packages of 4, 6, or 8 bottles at three different levels (Cellar No.1, No.2 or No.3). Each of the levels has a list of wines you can choose. The 4* mariner 50% discount is not on any bottle on the wine list in a bar or restaurants. You have to buy a "package" of bottles. You can then select from the level you bought, one at a time, or order them all at once and bring them to your room.

You can bring glasses from your bottles to the Dining Room. Any unfinished bottles can be taken back to your cabin or they will hold it for you for the next night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

The wine packages are packages of 4, 6, or 8 bottles at three different levels (Cellar No.1, No.2 or No.3). Each of the levels has a list of wines you can choose. The 4* mariner 50% discount is not on any bottle on the wine list in a bar or restaurants. You have to buy a "package" of bottles. You can then select from the level you bought, one at a time, or order them all at once and bring them to your room.

You can bring glasses from your bottles to the Dining Room. Any unfinished bottles can be taken back to your cabin or they will hold it for you for the next night.

Thanns. That explains things…

25 minutes ago, Torquer said:

@LocoLoco1Are all 4 of you staying in the same cabin?  You did not make that clear.  If so then you all get the 4-star benefits.  Otherwise, only the two people in the 4-star cabin would get it and the other two people would get nothing specific to their cabin.

You can read the full list of benefits in the link below.  One item that no one mentioned so far is the 50% discount on the mini-bar in the room.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/mariner-society

We have 2 Cabins. My 4-star will be for getting table wine. Nice to know I can keep the wine in my Cabin. Our HIA will cover pool-side cocktails. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

We have 2 Cabins. My 4-star will be for getting table wine. Nice to know I can keep the wine in my Cabin. Our HIA will cover pool-side cocktails. 

As 4* you are also able to treat others to specialty dining at discount - just have them all put on your ticket. 

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

As 4* you are also able to treat others to specialty dining at discount - just have them all put on your ticket. 

That is not correct,

From the FAQ Section in the Mariner Society Section.

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

That is not correct,

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

2 of my most recent cruises (Nov & Dec on NS) when I ate in PG, both dinners were put on my card and charged 50%. The same server made a point of telling the table next to us that he put both dinners on 1 passenger so they could get benefit of the discount. We weren’t a "group," we were a small number of people dining together.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

2 of my most recent cruises (Nov & Dec on NS) when I ate in PG, both dinners were put on my card and charged 50%. The same server made a point of telling the table next to us that he put both dinners on 1 passenger so they could get benefit of the discount. We weren’t a "group," we were a small number of people dining together.

A Group is any collection of passengers not staying in the same cabin.  If you only had 2 people at your table, were you both from the smae booking?  If yes then the discount applies.

2 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

A Group is any collection of passengers not staying in the same cabin.  If you only had 2 people at your table, were you both from the smae booking?  If yes then the discount applies.

Not my rules, HAL's rules from their website.

With the HIA Package we found our 5 Star Perks mostly useless with the exception of the free laundry (our favorite perk).  We also appreciate the priority in tender ports.  The free meals in alternative restaurants (nice discount for 4*) have not been a big draw since we find the PG nothing special and have not been on the bigger ships with other options.  

Hank

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MikeD4134 said:

Not my rules, HAL's rules from their website.

I get it - as with other topics on many posts, HAL is not necessarily consistent when applying their policies. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MikeD4134 said:

That is not correct,

That is absolutely correct.

However, when sailing on the Oosterdam on one cruise, I treated my DS to a PG lunch.  I was prepared to be billed full price for her lunch (no biggie).  I was not.  Charged 1/2 price.  She was not in my cabin but was known to the PG staff as she was wheeling me in every day when I had my accident and eating with me.  Easier for them for her to care for me 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Do you mean you will use your HIA to get cocktails for the two people staying in the other cabin?  That is technically not permitted.  Now you probably could go to a bar, get a drink with your HIA, then take it back to a seat and give it to someone else to drink, but that is certainly frowned upon and could be quite awkward if you get caught.  According to the rules, the HIA drinks are only for the consumption of the person that has HIA.

2 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Good plan! AFAIK, there is no breaking of rules (even overlooked rules!) with sharing your wine suite -- once the bottle is open, it's yours to pour. ( @kazu?)

Of course there is also Beverage Package/HIA wine to 'buy' in the MDR. What you get in a wine suite may or may not be better quality. We will see about half-price packages AS WELL AS hia, on our swiftly approaching 35-day cruise...

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Good plan! AFAIK, there is no breaking of rules (even overlooked rules!) with sharing your wine suite -- once the bottle is open, it's yours to pour. ( @kazu?)

Of course there is also Beverage Package/HIA wine to 'buy' in the MDR. What you get in a wine suite may or may not be better quality. We will see about half-price packages AS WELL AS hia, on our swiftly approaching 35-day cruise...

You can share a bottle of wine you bought in the packages with anyone you choose or take it back to your cabin or delivered.  the wine is yours to share with who you see fit.

there is a new restriction you can’t take it to bars and other public places.  I honestly don’t know how enforced that is.  Seems a bit silly to me - it’s HAL’s wine - bought and paid for.

• Thanks 1