Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Yes interesting they say Spanish and Italian is similar - note not that much but they are both Latin based. Although throw in Portuguese and it’s a complete new ball game. A friend of ours had worked in Brazil for many years and at a Portuguese restaurant he held court beautifully but he thought as many do that Spanish was the same so fell flat on his face at a Spanish restaurant. You can tell we all ate out a lot across the world a few years ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

My language nerdiness got the better of me again: Once I found the article in the original (North) Macedonian it appears a better translation instead of "Bach" should have been something like "Strömung" as in English "the flow" or "current".  The Macedonian word was "течениет" meaning "flow". "Bach" would be "Бах" (actually pronounced Bach) or "поток". 

RDVIK

Aah, I see. That is interesting as we have the word "Strom", meaning either electricity - hence "current" or river - which is connected to Strömung of course, i.e. something that flows (which electricity does too of course). I guess that is where the machine (or possibly still a person) went wrong.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The Magna certainly looks big, I guess the name came easily to the owners of Amawaterways. 😉 Seeing that we are talking about languages. Behemoth these days refers to something really big like an animal, but back in the day... If I was to choose a word to describe here compared to the small river cruise ships of old I would say she is definitely a monster. Thank you for the photos.

I have always enjoyed spotting the Emily Bronte on "my" river. Have a great time with "the English" @ural guy. Although I hope for you that they have some German beer on board. [Grin.]

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Yes interesting they say Spanish and Italian is similar - note not that much but they are both Latin based. Although throw in Portuguese and it’s a complete new ball game.

Having learnt Spanish, I noticed the patterns that Portuguese follows. Listening I do not understand anything, but reading becomes interesting as I can detect the words that they share.

Looking at all those river levels recently I of course went to the Serbian authorities' website and thought "oh no, they use the Cyrillic alphabet". Had completely forgotten about the other script. But they apparently officially use both at least when dealing with international things. I can now detect Novi Sad in Cyrillic, hooray! 😁 Will try and learn some more.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Some few years ago now my mum and I decided to learn Spanish, sadly I gave up but she continued and became quite proficient. Our teacher a fairly young man recounted this story, he decided to hitchhike through France and into Spain heading for his college in Madrid, he was picked up by a Catholic Priest on his way to a Monastery there, our teacher then only spoke English fluently and the Priest Spanish but they both spoke Latin, they conversed all the way in what is supposedly a dead language. 

• Like 1

So Budapest river level is good, further downstream things are looking up and Passau gauge is down enough again as well (comfortable sailing under that bridge). Looking pleasant. End of September already. Soon time to look back at this eventful month. Fun fact for a comparison: Pfelling gauge is now at 484cm, that is above the mean, this day last year it was at 271cm, too low for many river cruise ships. It got even worse the following day, rendering sailing for all the large river cruise ships almost impossible.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Notamermaid-  yes, we've been brushing up on our English.  I'm sure we'll find something good to drink.  I've already picked up a bottle of Bailey's for my coffee.

Ship's captains will have to have a sharp eye, seen a lot of logs in the water.  

PXL_20240930_131922953.thumb.jpg.c608bc11ad20b1c19c8d35886d983794.jpg

PXL_20240930_121310325_MP.thumb.jpg.3c9b5666dbe4a5992fd4dbbfc1b975ca.jpg

An oddity, the River Monarch is behind us.  We sailed on her twice when she was the River Voyager.  She was tied up close to us on our December cruise as well.  Stalker!

• Like 1