Quick question about 'local' food onboard (Millenium)

Hello,

I've never sailed far away from home on Celebrity before and am wondering if the menu options will reflect the itinerary.

We're sailing Singapore to Mumbai and I'm hoping to see a daily Chinese, Malaysian and/or Indian etc. station in the buffet at least.  I do love an Asian breakfast in particular! 

Based on your experiences do you think the dining choices will reflect where we are in the world?

Thank you

The dinner menus will probably not reflect any local specialties, but it’s quite possible that you will see some interesting things on the Buffet at noon. I remember some delicious Portuguese specialties including unusual cheeses once sailing from Barcelona to Lisbon, and then into the transatlantic.  There were local fish being served some days in the Mediterranean.  Depending on the makeup of the passengers there might be rice, soup and other Asian foods at breakfast.  But dinner menus are pretty well fixed.

• Thanks 1

The buffet is defiantly the place to check. We've seen whole halibut in Alaska, mussels in the Caribbean on one cruise and lobster on another Caribbean cruise and tropical fruit on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. 

• Like 1

I've never seen any local food choices on Celebrity in the dining room. HAL has an Indonesian menu you can get every night on every cruise but that's because their kitchen already prepares those dishes for the crew so they also make them available to passengers. Most of HAL's waiters and cabin stewards are Indonesian.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1

As many indicated.  The OVC is where you will see local quinine or theme .   Each day they have a Theme and also themed stations.   On our Singapore to Australia cruise stopping in Bali they had an Indonesian theme day.    They also usually have an Indian Station, Mexican and Stir Fry.    I've also had French Theme and British Theme that come to mind.     On our New England Montreal cruise the F&B manager soured Nova Scotia Lobster for the Lobster night in all restaurants.    Was far better then the Warm Water lobster.

• Thanks 1

Well if you book a nice hotel in Singapore that has a buffet you will see many of these dishes on the buffet.  A Singapore hotel buffet will handily beat the OVC by a mile.  There are very few American selections on a Singapore buffet.  Watch out for the spice.  Some of these dishes can be hot.

Edited by NMTraveller

7 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Funny, I've never really found Singaporean food to be hot.

You are likely to get some Thai food also.  A mix of Asian food.  At least that is what was on our breakfast buffet.

Edited by NMTraveller

Are you spending time pre-cruise in Singapore? Just go to any Hawker Market (take your own napkins...). $6-7 US for great food. It's own unique ambience.

Singapore has so many different cuisines. Mostly Chinese, but a lot of Thai, Indonesian, Indian, and Peranakan, the traditional food of Singapore and a mismatch of several cultures and cuisines. And delicious. 

And I agree, I've not known Celebrity (or Royal before) to really do anything representative of where you're traveling. HAL used to have some dishes if I remember right. We did two British Island cruises on Royal. They have what looks like a British pub. I don't believe they even had a British beer. Maybe Guinness (which is NOT UK!).

We were on this cruise in December. Indian was available on the buffet daily for breakfast and dinner and was excelent. Indian vegetarian was also available in the main dining room off menu and was a nice spread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great news @Luigi G.  

Thanks to the others for advice too - we are well acquainted with Singapore/Malaysia and its food, and will be making the most of all port stops.  We travel to Asia a lot and prefer to eat Asian food more or less exclusively while away - it just seems suit the body better when in that climate.  The spicier the better!  Hence hoping for onboard options too.  But if not, it's not a big deal.