"One-device" for wi-fi - is this at a time?

GatorMomInNC

Sorry if this is a stupid question, and I searched first but couldn't find a topic... I just pre-purchased the Premium Wi-Fi for my upcoming SA cruise on the Eclipse. The options were one or 2 devices.   I went with one device, but on other cruise lines you can switch - use your phone, then log off, then long on your Ipad, etc.  Can I do that on Celebrity? I would like to be able to text on my phone, but use my Ipad for movies, email, surfing, etc.  I am just confused because they also offer a more expensive 2 device option....

Just now, imlulu said:

Yes it’s really easy 

Well great, thanks!  As usual, Cruise Critic to the rescue 😀

So now I thought of a 2nd question: The 2 device package was 40% off.  I am cruising with my sister.  If I purchase that, can we "split" it - she uses "one device" on her devices and I use "one device" on mine?  That would be cheaper than each of us buying a one device plan separately. 

I don’t know. DH and I had the basic WiFi. We upgraded during a sale $3.99) for 1 device each which was cheaper than the 2 device. Honestly only one of us even needed the 1 upgrade. 

• Like 1

Yes, you can share the wifi among multiple devices and people.  It all depends on your usage.  If you are just downloading the paper or checking email it’s easy.  However, if 2 people like to surf and stream it takes a little more coordination to share.  Another consideration to buying multiple packages is how much time you will be in port.  There is abundant Wi-Fi available on shore in most locals and some cell plans include data/voice in certain countries.  So how you chose to use the available ship wifi packages is very individualized.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

However, if 2 people like to surf and stream it takes a little more coordination to share.

Whether you're sharing one package or you each have your own makes no difference here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Whether you're sharing one package or you each have your own makes no difference here.

Thanks everyone.  Since the 2 device was 40% off, and the 1 device was 30% off, I ordered the 2 device package and we are going to split it.   It is weird because it says "per guest' but if she can log in on her devices (one at a time) and I can log in on mine (one at a time) there really is no need to pay for both of us.  Hope I am not missing something and she and I end up fighting over the wi-fi!

No - we normally share a 1 device package.  But for this cruise two single device packages are cheaper than one two device package. 

When you exceed the device limit it will ask if you want to kick someone off, so it is good practice when switching devices to logout.com before logging the new device on.  If you have a two device package and try to log a third device on you can't tell which of the two existing connections will be dropped.

Thanks.  So I can log into my phone log out and then log onto my iPad. And she can do the same with her phone and iPad. Each of us can be on one device at a time, but only one, but it doesn’t matter which one, correct?  

14 minutes ago, Random Cruizer said:

I'm still not clear on what you mean--do you both have a 1-device plan?  If so--the answer is yes.  Can two people share one plan? I'm not sure.

The have a 1 device plan and a 2 device plan.   A 2 device plan is cheaper than 2 individual 1 device plans.   I understand that if I buy a 1 device plan, I can use either on cell or Ipad or whatever I want, just not simultaneously - so more than one device, but not more than one at a time. 

If we get a 2 device plan is it the equivalent of 2 1 device plans -- so we both have our own devices (cell phone and I pads), can I use 1 of the "devices" either on my cell or Ipad, not at the same time; and she uses one of the "devices" on either her cell or Ipad but not at same time. 

It seems it should work this way in theory...