Cozumel taxi

chocomom

2 minutes ago, closecruiser said:

We just got off yesterday from the Epic.  The cost was $10.00 total for myself and the hubby!!  

Thank you. How did you like the Epic? This is our first time on Norwegian. Any tips for us?

Just now, chocomom said:

Thank you. How did you like the Epic? This is our first time on Norwegian. Any tips for us?

Let me begin that we had a wonderful time on the cruise its self.,  The ship I did not care for.  Weird layout in my opinion.  We sailed on other NCL ships and this was just different.  O'Sheehans to eat was very good but can get busy during peak hours but line went pretty fast.  

It was nice to get away and spend some time with family.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the layout, especially the cabin. But you are right, being on vacation is the plus. We will make the best of it. 

1 hour ago, closecruiser said:

We just got off yesterday from the Epic.  The cost was $10.00 total for myself and the hubby!!  

Where did you dock? Didn’t you dock downtown? Where were you trying to go?

Edited by c-leg5

2 hours ago, chocomom said:

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the layout, especially the cabin. But you are right, being on vacation is the plus. We will make the best of it. 

The cabin I got use to but having no mid ship elevator and only having them at the front or the back was one thing I didn't care for. Pool area not my favorite either.  Being on vacation was a big plus!!!!  Lines for everything too was crazy.....Staff was excellent!!!

27 minutes ago, closecruiser said:

It was not downtown, we started to walk but just decided to grab a cab.

Puerta Maya or International?I know NCL can be a little random. They have even tendered sometimes in the past but I am assuming this is one of their larger ships?

The site I use shows Langosta I wonder if they change some times.

Edited by c-leg5

Puerta Maya to downtown is about two miles and can be a pleasant walk if the weather is good.  You will pay $10 per cab and cabs are very plentiful anywhere in town.

We did not care for the Norwegian Epic in February 2023.  Too many crowds made it almost impossible to get into the smaller entertainment  venues.  So many of the seats were being saved with no cruise personnel to control the crowd.  The staff in the MDR seemed to be really unhappy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beshears said:

Closecruiser, you said the Taxi trip to town was $10.00 for you and your husband. Was that one way?

It will depend where you dock. That would be the price one-way from International or Puerta Maya. The prices are listed on a board at dispatch. It was officially $8 but reportedly there has been an increase.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks for the "answers" to my question. I failed to ask. I know it depends upon what port we are at, and I have no clue, but we will be on the Princess Regal. If you do not know, can you give me a "guesstimate" idea of how long it would take for us to walk, as most of can do some pretty good walking, even for several miles.

27 minutes ago, beshears said:

C-Leg5, thanks for letting me know it is about 3 miles to town from Puerta Maya dock. I know we could walk it, but probably taxi will be better.

We have walked it several times no problem but it depends on time of year, heat/humidity and time constraints.

Yes, I'm sure that would make a difference. I know we walked (seemed like it) 4 or more miles in St. Lucia to town,from the resort we were staying at, last year. We DID get a ride back. 🙂 Guess it will be up to how everyone is feeling and our time as well.

19 minutes ago, beshears said:

Yes, I'm sure that would make a difference. I know we walked (seemed like it) 4 or more miles in St. Lucia to town,from the resort we were staying at, last year. We DID get a ride back. 🙂 Guess it will be up to how everyone is feeling and our time as well.

Where are you actually walking to? The “town” is quite long probably (1- 1and 1/2  ) and goes quite a distance a long the sea front. I probably gave an estimate around the mid point but it could be anywhere from Dolphinaris to Airport road - we go to the beach bars just beyond there, but that is the edge of town zone for taxis.

Google maps would give you a more accurate estimate and even a virtual walk.

One tip for anyone taking a taxi in Cozumel, before you get into a cab ask the driver what the cost will be.  If it sounds unreasonable, ask to see the rate card.  If they "don't have one" or refuse to show it to you, don't get in their cab - they are going to try to overcharge you. 

We made this mistake last week as we got in a cab at the Punta Lagosta port without asking the cost (but knowing the cost should be approximately $20) to get to Mr. Sanchos for our family of 4.  We were shocked when we handed him $25 as we got out that he told us the rates had recently changed and it was $40.  When I asked for a rate card, he said the rate was so new that he didn't have a card yet. We knew we were being messed over but to get on with our day we forked over the extra $15 and told him that we knew he was overcharging so there would be no additional tip.

On the return to the ship, we asked the taxi captain at Mr Sanchos what it should cost for us to get back to Punta Lagosta and were told $22. That driver was upset that the taxi captain shared the correct rate with us based upon a call to his friend to inform him in Spanish not to go to Sancho's - they are telling people the right rates and that he can't believe he's going back to the port for $20. 

I'm surprised he assumed that just be because we are Americans that people in the car don't speak Spanish 😀

Edited by FarreyFamCruzin
typo

15 minutes ago, FarreyFamCruzin said:

One tip for anyone taking a taxi in Cozumel, before you get into a cab ask the driver what the cost will be.  If it sounds unreasonable, ask to see the rate card.  If they "don't have one" or refuse to show it to you, don't get in their cab - they are going to try to overcharge you. 

We made this mistake last week as we got in a cab at the Punta Lagosta port without asking the cost (but knowing the cost should be approximately $20) to get to Mr. Sanchos for our family of 4.  We were shocked when we handed him $25 as we got out that he told us the rates had recently changed and it was $40.  When I asked for a rate card, he said the rate was so new that he didn't have a card yet. We knew we were being messed over but to get on with our day we forked over the extra $15 and told him that we knew he was overcharging so there would be no additional tip.

On the return to the ship, we asked the taxi captain at Mr Sanchos what it should cost for us to get back to Punta Lagosta and were told $22. That driver was upset that the taxi captain shared the correct rate with us based upon a call to his friend to inform him in Spanish not to go to Sancho's - they are telling people the right rates and that he can't believe he's going back to the port for $20. 

I'm surprised he assumed that just be because we are Americans that people in the car don't speak Spanish 😀

Just think ...it used to be $4.00 to town and NOT per person!

Weird, there was a big poster at the taxi rank (International). I took a picture (more for CruiseCritic than ourselves). For 6 of us it was $40 to Mr Sanchos. I didn't ask/confirm the price. When we got there, I handed the guy $40. I figure that included his tip, as it would have been only $20 if we were a party of 4 for the same amount of "work". No issues.

Going back, same thing, just handed the guy $40. Maybe they only try and rip you off on the 1-4 pax pricing? Now, there were a LOT of taxis waiting near Mr Sanchos, I wonder how many trips they can make in a day, I suppose it depends on how many ships in port - there were only a few when we were there, so I guess on those days it's a little slow. 

Edited by gordiej

13 hours ago, FarreyFamCruzin said:

16 minutes ago, gordiej said:

Weird, there was a big poster at the taxi rank (International). I took a picture (more for CruiseCritic than ourselves). For 6 of us it was $40 to Mr Sanchos. I didn't ask/confirm the price. When we got there, I handed the guy $40. I figure that included his tip, as it would have been only $20 if we were a party of 4 for the same amount of "work". No issues.

Going back, same thing, just handed the guy $40. Maybe they only try and rip you off on the 1-4 pax pricing? Now, there were a LOT of taxis waiting near Mr Sanchos, I wonder how many trips they can make in a day, I suppose it depends on how many ships in port - there were only a few when we were there, so I guess on those days it's a little slow. 

I had suspected this was the likely scenario as that is much nearer to the 6-8 person rate. I assume the party of  4 got in a taxi van? Officially if the taxi van is next in line at dispatch they should charge you the 4 person rate. If you stop a van on the street all bets are off and you would have to negotiate - it depends how much they want the fare. However, yes, always good idea to confirm price before leaving and take a photo of taxi number “ in case you forget something” and yes, I suspect the driver was trying it on.

People have reported there has been a price increase although strangely I haven’t seen anything official but it stands to reason since the last increase was 2016.

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

People have reported there has been a price increase although strangely I haven’t seen anything official but it stands to reason since the last increase was 2016.

Well, I was there in late December, and I'm pretty sure the prices on the board were ~$2 higher than what had been posted previously here on CC. E.g., $40 for 4-8 from International Pier to Playa Mia/Sanchos/Nachi.