New to Oceania - "Reinspiration" vs. "Refurbishment"

canderson

Considering our first Oceania cruise this year, and was scrolling through their web site when I ran across some terminology that was a bit unclear.

We're wondering what one would expect from a 'reinspiration' vs. a 'refurbishment' so as to set expectations accordingly, and perhaps it will become part of the decision making process.  If I were to work through all of the threads, I might be able to discern the meaning, but figured it might be easier to ask those with experience with this brand.  From https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006787313-When-were-the-ships-last-refurbished-

Our intimate and luxurious ships have been refurbished elevating them to a new level of elegance with completely renewed guest spaces. They were last refurbished on the following dates:

• Insignia has completed her reinspiration as of: December 2018
  • Sirena has completed her reinspiration as of: May 2019
  • Regatta has completed her reinspiration as of: September 2019
  • Nautica has completed her reinspiration as of: April 2022
  • Riviera has completed a refurbishment as of: April 2019
  • Marina has completed a refurbishment as of: April 2020

Marina is schedule for a refurbishment in May, 2024.  It is unclear is all balcony cabins will be updated?  I know they will get new carpet etc.  But are the plugs, and bathrooms being upgraded.  

5 hours ago, canderson said:

I ran across some terminology that was a bit unclear...

My 2¢:

The "reinspiration" ships are O's R-class ships, which entered service with Renaissance Cruises between 1998 and 2001 and likely have a limited future with O.  Fresh paint, carpet, etc, but limited/no steelwork-level changes.

For example, Regatta was a delight last March, but hadn't gotten the promised rainfall showerheads because O wouldn't rework the deckheads when they discovered the required piping wouldn't fit.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lorna Doone said:

Marina is schedule for a refurbishment in May, 2024.  It is unclear is all balcony cabins will be updated?  I know they will get new carpet etc.  But are the plugs, and bathrooms being upgraded.  

Plugs? What would an upgrade consist of in that case?

2 hours ago, clo said:

Plugs? What would an upgrade consist of in that case?

Based upon what was done with Regatta cabins, it might consist of USB (don't remember if 'A' or 'C'), 110v Type 'B', and (I think) 220v Type 'L' sockets each side of the bed.   USB, 110v Type 'B', and 220v Type 'F' sockets by the table.  Keyword: might.

You're on your own for the suites.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Based upon what was done with Regatta cabins, it might consist of USB (don't remember if 'A' or 'C'), 110v Type 'B', and (I think) 220v Type 'L' sockets each side of the bed.   USB, 110v Type 'B', and 220v Type 'F' sockets by the table.  Keyword: might.

You're on your own for the suites.  😉

No suites for us. Thanks.

All of the ships are beautiful. They are well maintained. Things work.  They are spotlessly clean.  I can’t say that about some of the other cruise lines that I have sailed on.  You will have a great time on any of the Oceania ships. The R ships(Insignia, Sirena, Nautical, and Regatta) are old. They were originally built for Renaissance Cruise line.  Oceania refurbished these ships.  They are smaller than Oceania other ships. They can get into ports that size restrictions. They have a cozy atmosphere.  Cabins can be rather small.  Suites are my preference on those ships. Riviera, Marina, and Vista are truly spectacular.  They were built for Oceania. The furnishings are luxurious. Cabin size is big even in the standard categories.  My choice is a veranda cabin.  So how do I select which ship to book.  It usually depends on itinerary, ease of transportation, time, and cabin availability.  Add to that Simply More.  Where and what type of excursions are available.  If sailing on a cruise that have excursions that interest me, booking Oceania is attractive.