Silversea Moon Cancellation Offer

Redrob123

My TA has just informed me that the offer from Silversea for refund and 20% off 2024 cruise if either/or.  The way I read it is that both are applicable.  Has anyone been given other information that you can get both a refund and 20% off.  

Thanks

2 hours ago, Redrob123 said:

My TA has just informed me that the offer from Silversea for refund and 20% off 2024 cruise if either/or.  The way I read it is that both are applicable.  Has anyone been given other information that you can get both a refund and 20% off.  

Thanks

For which sailing ?

6 minutes ago, Redrob123 said:

January 26.  Were you in this cruise and got the cancellation offer?

No, unfortunate for you guy's but must say I would not have been keen going past Yemen or around the ME at the moment.

We are on the 11th Feb sailing out of Mumbai, all but one cabin class is showing Waitlisted, and the whole of the Feb 29 Sing to HK is Waitlisted .....just getting a little uneasy feeling.

Will be interesting to see what the Moon does in the next couple of days

Would hate to be a SS logistics guy at the moment.

2 hours ago, Redrob123 said:

Thanks

Our cruise sailing on the 1st Feb has just been cancelled, Moon, Doha to Muscat. We received a mail from our TA, full refund AND the offer of a 20% discount on a future cruise booked by 2024.

5 minutes ago, fudge said:

Our cruise sailing on the 1st Feb has just been cancelled, Moon, Doha to Muscat. We received a mail from our TA, full refund AND the offer of a 20% discount on a future cruise booked by 2024.

This sounds much more like it.  I can't imagine any cruise line offering only one or the other.  @Redrob123's TA must be mistaken.  [Let's hope 🙏]

28 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This sounds much more like it.  I can't imagine any cruise line offering only one or the other.  @Redrob123's TA must be mistaken.  [Let's hope 🙏]

My TA has said that they checked with supervisor and that is what they were told.  The way I read it it definitely is for both.  Even my TA said that she thinks I am right but Silversea in Australia doesn’t agree.   Im not sure where to go from here?  It’s devastating enough that it was cancelled last minute as I’m already in Bali.   I wouldn’t have come if I wasn’t going to Dubai and now trying to get back home.  I am out of pocket and now they are arguing about 20%.  It was a lousy offer to start with.

IMG_0063.png

49 minutes ago, fudge said:

That’s what my letter says as well but Sydney office saying it’s one or the other.

This is from SS a few days ago. You will note, there is a tick beside each offer, no question in my mind its both, my TA confirms this.

We hope this letter finds you well. Today, we are writing with important news regarding your 2 February 2024 voyage aboard Silver Moon.

Due to the fluid geopolitical situation in the region that has most recently escalated after military action and under advisement from our Global Security team, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel your 6-night voyage departing from Doha to Muscat. We sincerely regret this disruption to your travel plans and assure you this decision was made after thorough consideration and prioritising, as always, the safety and security of our guests and crew.

In light of this news, we would like to offer:
icon-check
A refund of the full cruise fare paid, including any flight cancellation costs and fees*
icon-check
A saving of 20% on any published 2024 sailing of your choice excluding World Cruise and Grand Voyages.

*For guests with independent air arrangements, Silversea will reimburse reasonable out-of-pocket costs for any change, cancellation, or differential air travel fees. To request a reimbursement, guests should email receipts to GuestRelations@silversea.com. Refunds and claims will be reviewed and processed within 30 days of receipt.

Note: If a prior FCC was applied to your booking, it would be reinstated to your guest profile with the previous amount.

IMPORTANT: If you booked your Silversea cruise as part of a package with a Tour Operator or Travel Agency, please refer to them for the full terms and conditions of your overall package and any elements other than the cruise.

Thank you for understanding the circumstances beyond our control that necessitated the cancellation of your voyage. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact your travel advisor or cruise consultant or reach out to Resolutionsdesk@silversea.com

We sincerely hope to welcome you aboard another Silversea voyage exploring our planet's authentic beauty in whispered Italian luxury and all-inclusive comfort.

Best personal regards,
Silversea
Terms & Conditions Apply.
Edited by fudge

Just now, fudge said:

This is from SS a few days ago.

We hope this letter finds you well. Today, we are writing with important news regarding your 2 February 2024 voyage aboard Silver Moon.

Due to the fluid geopolitical situation in the region that has most recently escalated after military action and under advisement from our Global Security team, we have had to make the difficult decision to cancel your 6-night voyage departing from Doha to Muscat. We sincerely regret this disruption to your travel plans and assure you this decision was made after thorough consideration and prioritising, as always, the safety and security of our guests and crew.

In light of this news, we would like to offer:
icon-check
A refund of the full cruise fare paid, including any flight cancellation costs and fees*
icon-check
A saving of 20% on any published 2024 sailing of your choice excluding World Cruise and Grand Voyages.

*For guests with independent air arrangements, Silversea will reimburse reasonable out-of-pocket costs for any change, cancellation, or differential air travel fees. To request a reimbursement, guests should email receipts to GuestRelations@silversea.com. Refunds and claims will be reviewed and processed within 30 days of receipt.

Note: If a prior FCC was applied to your booking, it would be reinstated to your guest profile with the previous amount.

IMPORTANT: If you booked your Silversea cruise as part of a package with a Tour Operator or Travel Agency, please refer to them for the full terms and conditions of your overall package and any elements other than the cruise.

Thank you for understanding the circumstances beyond our control that necessitated the cancellation of your voyage. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact your travel advisor or cruise consultant or reach out to Resolutionsdesk@silversea.com

We sincerely hope to welcome you aboard another Silversea voyage exploring our planet's authentic beauty in whispered Italian luxury and all-inclusive comfort.

Best personal regards,
Silversea
Terms & Conditions Apply.

Yes, that’s the same letter I got.  I have asked my TA to check with the US office to see what they say.

57 minutes ago, Redrob123 said:

That’s what my letter says as well but Sydney office saying it’s one or the other.

The Sydney SS office must be on drugs!  Who would lose their full cruise fare on a cancelled voyage for a 20% discount off of another that must be used in 2024!  The fact that the Aussie office would even state this without confirming with US operations is totally unprofessional.  

21 minutes ago, texanaust said:

The Sydney SS office must be on drugs!  Who would lose their full cruise fare on a cancelled voyage for a 20% discount off of another that must be used in 2024!  The fact that the Aussie office would even state this without confirming with US operations is totally unprofessional.  

Correct. For it to make any financial sense would involve you booking a cruise in 2024 at over 5 times the cost of the original - otherwise you would take the refund every time. Whoever is saying it's one or the other is plain daft. 

Edited by Cruiser6270

We have had a cruise on the Muse for may 2025  from Doha to Athens disappear from the website and from our bookings on My Silversea. We were sent an email from Silversea that the cruise was going to sail 3 days later and our cruise from SIN to Doha end 2 days earlier. Leaving a 6 day gap in between what was previously a back to back voyage from Singapore to Athens.

This was the offer for the Doha to Athens cruise.

Alternately, we would also like to offer for your consideration a saving of 10% to rebook on a future voyage. Please find below details of the options available: 

A. A Shipboard Credit of USD 500 per person to be used on your existing booking. 

B. A saving of 10% should you choose to book a different 2024/2025/2026 sailing when booking before 20 January 2024. This voyage-to-voyage (V2V) offer is combinable with any public fare. World Cruise excluded.

C. A refund of the full cruise fare.

And for the shortened first cruise.

Alternately, we would also like to offer for your consideration a saving of 10% to rebook on a future voyage. Please find below details of the options available: 
A. A 15% savings off the new fare, combinable with any other public promotions. 

B. A saving of 10% should you choose to book a different 2024/2025/2026 sailing when booking before 20 January 2024. This voyage-to-voyage (V2V) offer is combinable with any public fare. World Cruise excluded.

C. A refund of the full cruise fare

So definitely they are saying pick one option. Our TA says definitely only 1 option but as we have only paid the deposit that would be moved to the new cruise if we took that option. I would presume for those that have already paid that would be moved to the newly booked cruise. Then you would have to ask is there going to be any refund if that cruise is less than the cancelled one.

However for those in Australia The ACCC has amended it's policies re travel insurance after the cruise industry (Scenic and P&O ) lost cases in the High Court where cruises which don't sail in Australian waters are still subject to Australian consumer laws.
The second case ruled that Australians can sue for distress and disruption with no cap on damages.

36 minutes ago, drron29 said:

We have had a cruise on the Muse for may 2025  from Doha to Athens disappear from the website and from our bookings on My Silversea. We were sent an email from Silversea that the cruise was going to sail 3 days later and our cruise from SIN to Doha end 2 days earlier. Leaving a 6 day gap in between what was previously a back to back voyage from Singapore to Athens.

A. A Shipboard Credit of USD 500 per person to be used on your existing booking. 

So definitely they are saying pick one option. Our TA says definitely only 1 option but as we have only paid the deposit that would be moved to the new cruise if we took that option. I would presume for those that have already paid that would be moved to the newly booked cruise. Then you would have to ask is there going to be any refund if that cruise is less than the cancelled one.

However for those in Australia The ACCC has amended it's policies re travel insurance after the cruise industry (Scenic and P&O ) lost cases in the High Court where cruises which don't sail in Australian waters are still subject to Australian consumer laws.
The second case ruled that Australians can sue for distress and disruption with no cap on damages.

This is a totally different scenario where your cruise is not until May 2025.  You also get to keep your deposit.  Redrob is saying lose the entire value of the cruise and take the 20% off a future cruise in 2024 or get a refund.  I predict the offer is for both and the Sydney office is out enjoying the summer heat a little too much.  

36 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Yours is definitely pick one option but we have ticks against both which to me and everyone else here means both.   

I’m interested in the new ACCC rulings.  Definitely had much distress and disruption as am in Bali in transit to Dubai. I only fly business class due to health issues and my TA says that they will probably only cover economy flight back to Australia even though my Mumbai to Brisbane that I have to cancel is in business.   I am way out of pocket from this trip that they delayed cancelling.  I’ll be looking for other cruise options after this debacle.

3 minutes ago, Redrob123 said:

Yours is definitely pick one option but we have ticks against both which to me and everyone else here means both.   

I’m interested in the new ACCC rulings.  Definitely had much distress and disruption as am in Bali in transit to Dubai. I only fly business class due to health issues and my TA says that they will probably only cover economy flight back to Australia even though my Mumbai to Brisbane that I have to cancel is in business.   I am way out of pocket from this trip that they delayed cancelling.  I’ll be looking for other cruise options after this debacle.

Drron, can I contact you to find out how I go about claiming for disruption and distress.  Mine is rmh654atgmail.

First here is the ACCC guide as regards travel for both business and consumer. If SS does not pay the difference between business which you usually fly and economy you definitely have a strong case to claim the difference.

And I posted my case to show that in some cases SS does give options and this strengthens your case for compensation. feel free to quote what I was sent.

First the Scenic case where Scenic claimed that the floods were out of their control. the high court found they were liable for distress and discomfort and damages weren't limited.

https://www.holmanwebb.com.au/blog/735/scenic-tours-left-with-10-million-damages-award-after-substantially-failing-in-its-latest-appeal

Next Carnival lost their high Court appeal when they said they were a foreign corporation and weren't subject to Australian laws. They are and so will Silversea.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/ruby-princess-passengers-win-class-action-against-carnival-australia

And the ACCC guide.

https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/publications/travel-and-accommodation-an-industry-guide-to-the-australian-consumer-law#:~:text=This guide provides information on,more detailed guidance for business

You should start with your State Consumer Affairs Body and get their advice re next steps.

I wonder if SS employees can sue for distress as they lie in bed at night wondering if their company can make it through the pandemic and wars, and if they will be able to take care of their families and what career will come next?

9 hours ago, Redrob123 said:

Have you spoken directly with Sydney office or is it just your TA?

Because on the phone yesterday I was told by them it is a combinable offer.  The only hitch is it has to be a 2024 cruise?

I sent this message to SS:

Hello, 

In your email about the cancellation of the January 26 cruise of the Silver Moon, you mentioned that the insurance purchased through SS will be refunded.

Will that refund come from SS?

Also, can the 20% offer be combined with other offers such as lower single supplements?

This was the response:

Thank you for your email.  Yes, the Allianz refund will come from Silversea and yes, the 20% savings is combinable with all promotions, including reduced single supplement.  I have copied in your cruise consultant, Christian, to assist you with selecting your next Silversea voyage

Hope this helps with some of your questions.

Thank you for your email.  Yes, will come from Silversea and yes, the 20% savings is combinable with all promotions, including reduced single supplement.  I have copied in your cruise consultant, Christian, to assist you with selecting your next Silversea voyage. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Best, 

Aileen Cote | Manager, Reservations-The Americas

Silversea

1050 Caribbean Way 5th Floor

Miami, FL 33132

800-722-9955

AileenC@Silversea.com

Thank you for your email.  Yes, the Allianz refund will come from Silversea and yes, the 20% savings is combinable with all promotions, including reduced single supplement.  I have copied in your cruise consultant, Christian, to assist you with selecting your next Silversea voyage. 

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Best, 

Aileen Cote | Manager, Reservations-The Americas

Silversea

1050 Caribbean Way 5th Floor

Miami, FL 33132

800-722-9955

AileenC@Silversea.com

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drron29 said:

First here is the ACCC guide as regards travel for both business and consumer. If SS does not pay the difference between business which you usually fly and economy you definitely have a strong case to claim the difference.

And I posted my case to show that in some cases SS does give options and this strengthens your case for compensation. feel free to quote what I was sent.

First the Scenic case where Scenic claimed that the floods were out of their control. the high court found they were liable for distress and discomfort and damages weren't limited.

https://www.holmanwebb.com.au/blog/735/scenic-tours-left-with-10-million-damages-award-after-substantially-failing-in-its-latest-appeal

Next Carnival lost their high Court appeal when they said they were a foreign corporation and weren't subject to Australian laws. They are and so will Silversea.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/ruby-princess-passengers-win-class-action-against-carnival-australia

And the ACCC guide.

https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/publications/travel-and-accommodation-an-industry-guide-to-the-australian-consumer-law#:~:text=This guide provides information on,more detailed guidance for business

You should start with your State Consumer Affairs Body and get their advice re next steps.

Thanks😀