Athol Bay Sydney

We will be on Coral Princess out of Brisbane on 25 January en route to Hobart. Our first port of call is Sydney on 27 January at Athol Bay. I am having difficulty finding any information about this location, other than the fact that it is a tender port.

Has anyone berthed here on a cruise who could share information?

Does it have access to public transport? Is there a shuttle transfer? Are there shops or cafes within walking distance of the ship? We are both fit and don't mind walking so suggestions of things to do would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Athol Bay is in Sydney Harbour very near to Taronga Zoo. Tenders will operate from the ship into, usually, 'Man of War' steps near the Sydney Opera House. You will be in Sydney City. I hope that nelps.

• Like 2

Once you are tendered to the eastern side of the Opera House, it is a flat walk of around 800 metres to one of Sydney's transport hubs at Circular Quay, and from there you can go pretty much anywhere via light rail, rail, ferry. This is at the edge of a city full of shops & eateries. A Manly ferry will also get you to the Corso at Manly, or to Darling Harbour for plenty of dining or shopping options.

The Mon O'War steps are also adjacent to the botanic gardens, so it is a beautiful walk in either direction.

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

IME, the ships anchor off Athol bay (yellow dot) and then they tender to the Man O War steps by the Opera House (other yellow dot).

Screenshot_20240116-171553_Maps.jpg

The Athol Bay Anchorage is actually located closer to the Zoo than marked above - actually it is more in the area below the label 'Bradleys Head Walking Track' and above the label 'Bradleys Head Ampitheatre'.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Shiprobbo said:

The Athol Bay Anchorage is actually located closer to the Zoo than marked above - actually it is more in the area below the label 'Bradleys Head Walking Track' and above the label 'Bradleys Head Ampitheatre'.

Cheers,

David

I realise that, I am going off the one time we were moored at Athol Bay, out of the way from the ferries, in any case it doesn't matter where it is exactly as it is still a 15 minute tender trip to the docking point.