Wifi OnBoard

cleopatra1

Hello, I will be on Spirit of Discovery soon and will have to pay for a future holiday while sailing from UK to Madeira with a credit card via the internet.  There is a specific date that this transaction needs to be done and I have 24 hours to complete the payment.  We do not have any port calls during that time.  Is the wifi usually OK to browse to an internet page and complete a payment form?  More important is this public wifi or a secure connection?  Also has anyone had experience of using banking apps and credit card apps for transaction approval if this is necessary?  I will also have an option to use PayPal to make the transaction as an option.  I welcome comments from anybody with experience of doing this type of transaction onboard.

I have never needed to carry out a transaction on board, but I can tell you that when first logging in, my tablet/Norton security always warns me that it is not a secure network (i.e, it is a public network).

Your problem may be if your provider wants to send a one-time code to your mobile by text.

Can you not arrange to make payment early, before you cruise? The specific payment date is usually the latest payment date, most companies will accept an earlier payment.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply regarding the public network. Yes, the transaction validation is my main concern hence query on performance of banking app for validation. However my apps will send a validation code via email as an alternative.  No, unfortunately it’s not possible for me to pay early, I have a 24 hour booking and payment window only.  Cheers

It is a public network. Can you set up a VPN to make it secure? I used to have a free VPN on my iPhone.

Make sure all the apps you need are up today as they won't get updated onboard.

1 hour ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Jm.

There is a thread lower down regarding Wi-fi on board.

It wasn’t that good in my experience.🤷🏻‍♂️

I've been known to say that it isn't fit for purpose. I nearly threw my iPad across the cabin when it failed to submit the end of cruise survey in October.

Having read other posts about it I've got to wondering if it is a compatability issue. What device(s) were you using? I was using an iPad & iPhone that are both stuck on IOS 15 so need replacing.

Despite having the obvious reservations regarding security issues I had to make an online  payment using a credit card whilst on a long cruise with the Spirit of Adventure.  I had no problem whatsoever. The onboard WiFi isn’t great but in my opinion it is quite adequate as long as you aren’t trying to be too ambitious.

• Like 2

I booked airline tickets whilst onboard SoA christmas cruise

No problem with the booking but the payment was a problem with receiving the e-mail with the valadation code from the credit card company, it would not just come through before timing out

Eventually I had to use 3rd choice credit card but it did work in the end

Edited by beaujolais
edit

1 hour ago, JMMKUK said:

I've been known to say that it isn't fit for purpose. I nearly threw my iPad across the cabin when it failed to submit the end of cruise survey in October.

Having read other posts about it I've got to wondering if it is a compatability issue. What device(s) were you using? I was using an iPad & iPhone that are both stuck on IOS 15 so need replacing.

My iPad is a newer model and I am using an iphone12 both with the latest updates, seemed to really struggle especially when at sea.🤷🏻‍♂️
The ship was at full capacity so I was thinking it may be a bandwidth problem ( too many people online at the same time) but even on the days that we were in port and many passengers were ashore there wasn’t much of an improvement. Can’t really complain about it though because on other lines you would have to pay for a similar poor connection.

Edited by Brummijam
Spellink

I wonder if you could pay it through the Saga World rep on board? They do take payments for cruise deposits or for pre-registration usually. However, on our last cruise people were apparently being told not to pay on board but pay on return and I don't know if there was a particular problem or if this is a change of practice. You could ring Saga and ask them if you would be able to pay on board. I have accessed my online bank account whilst on board without too much difficulty. 

2 hours ago, Brummijam said:

My iPad is a newer model and I am using an iphone12 both with the latest updates, seemed to really struggle especially when at sea.🤷🏻‍♂️
The ship was at full capacity so I was thinking it may be a bandwidth problem ( too many people online at the same time) but even on the days that we were in port and many passengers were ashore there wasn’t much of an improvement. Can’t really complain about it though because on other lines you would have to pay for a similar poor connection.

That's blown that theory then.

It was certainly OK on the early cruises we did with the passenger number restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your inputs.  I’m going to have a go with payments while onboard but will provide a relative at home with some funds to cover as a backstop if the payments don’t go through.  Cheers. 

Edited by cleopatra1
  • Like 1